Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Life is Good....I get to customize a FJ Cruiser

10K views 62 replies 36 participants last post by  WebSnyper 
#1 ·
Hello....Newbie here. I am a Sales and Leasing agent at Royal South Toyota and owner of a 2008 FJ. I have done several modifications over the past 3 years. Now My GM gave me a FJ Cruiser and a big budget to customize it before it goes up for sale. This is the before photo and I will be posting the after photo next Friday when it is complete. Sorry guys no hints......but I think you will like the finished product.

Rod Bridges:blueblob::blueblob:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Awesome! Congrats and welcome! :)

#19 ·
I am a Sales and Leasing agent at Royal South Toyota and owner of a 2008 FJ. I have done several modifications over the past 3 years. Now My GM gave me a FJ Cruiser and a big budget to customize it before it goes up for sale. This is the before photo and I will be posting the after photo next Friday when it is complete. Sorry guys no hints......but I think you will like the finished product.
Here's the main problem with dealerships modifying trucks: what we as offroaders want/need isn't always what sells fastest, or for the most, in whatever city you're located in. So you guys throw a $150 spacer lift on with 4 hours labor, your customer comes to these forums with "hey check out my truck!" and the rest of us start telling them why all those over-priced add-on's they just financed at 5.25% for 72 months are worthless for offroading.

I've seen enough bad examples of dealer trucks in Denver (of all places!) that I just assume that you guys don't know wtf you're doing. BUT you're an FJ owner, and we haven't seen your truck :rofl: so you get the benefit of the doubt.

A baseline adjustable suspension (Toytec Ultimate/Boss or higher), a proper set of kick-out rock sliders (they're cheap, really) and DEAR GOD DON'T PUT FREAKING 20'S ON IT and you'll be taking it in the right direction. It doesn't need roof lights, leather seats or tail light guards, let the owner do that.

#21 ·
I second what JB said above, but the part that i dont get about dealers adding on stuff is how they can make money on the extras. As we have all seen for a private party sale, you never get what you paid for the aftermarket stuff when you go to sell it. That's why we see plenty of people selling off the mods/accessories separate from the vehicle (e.g. a return to stock sale). I see the same thing on the motorcycle forums I frequent.

So my question is why would a dealer add on aftermarket accessories, wheels/tires, vinyl wraps, etc if they only get 50 cents on the dollar back in increased sales price? Or is it some topsy turvy world in dealer land where they add $1200 of wheels and tires and they get back $1500 or more in higher selling price for used vehicles? Also, since mods and accessories are speciality items, doesnt this narrow their potential customer base that would want to buy it?

#20 · (Edited)
A baseline adjustable suspension (Toytec Ultimate/Boss or higher), a proper set of kick-out rock sliders (they're cheap, really) and DEAR GOD DON'T PUT FREAKING 20'S ON IT and you'll be taking it in the right direction. It doesn't need roof lights, leather seats or tail light guards, let the owner do that.

Got set of OEM 17 inch TRD Offroad Powder coat Wheels. I hate the look of the big rims...!
Also...hint BOSS GX-470....

#23 · (Edited)
Rod Bridges, whatever you do just do it right NO spacer lift do coilovers or nothing ..tires and wheels i would go 285/70/17 to play safe and nice set of All Pro sliders...on the roof i would color match it blue NOT black..here is mine color matched

on the audio system you know as a dealer no matter what you do it doesn't make the vehicle worth a penny more so why even do it ..myself i would be pissed if i was looking at one and someone half assed the audio system...doing it right (two way component system with sub and a 3 channel amp plus aftermarket headunit with 4 volt preouts and sound deadening in the front doors ..gear you would need ..JL component speakers, JL amp and sub ,Alpine or Pioneer headunit) thats doing it right which will run at least 1600.00 for gear

#25 ·
sounds like fun ... looking forward to seeing the beast ...
:clap:

#26 ·
Its going to be odd, if you build it the way you would want it for yourself then add the cost of your dealership has to add to it to make it profitable it might be ridiculously expensive and most people won't notice the full skids. I think that is why most dealers if they do anything is lights and cheap lift.

When we picked up my wife's 4Runner there was a salesmen that wheels (wasn't ours) that was glad we were getting the trail when he saw our FJ and knew we would rip off all Toyota adds and buy the proper components.

So back to the build, if you want it to catch attention of most people your going to need lights and lift. If you want to get people who appreciate it and use it for wheeling your going to need a rugged lift and some proper rails and skids. Bumpers might be iffy since there is such a personal preference between plate and tube bumpers and winches.

#27 ·
So my question is why would a dealer add on aftermarket accessories, wheels/tires, vinyl wraps, etc if they only get 50 cents on the dollar back in increased sales price? Or is it some topsy turvy world in dealer land where they add $1200 of wheels and tires and they get back $1500 or more in higher selling price for used vehicles? Also, since mods and accessories are speciality items, doesnt this narrow their potential customer base that would want to buy it?

It is a risk...however, we have been very successful moving the FJ Cruisers. We do have the advantage of having a body shop and service tech's that we will get for cost. Also I am using several OEM parts in the customization and we pay less or them. I own an Fj and with one small exception will not put useless crap just for looks. I am not doing anything with the interior at all. Just making a cool looking FJ that has MUCH MORE off road capability. You guys really are putting pressure on me....! :surprise...
Trust me....it will be all right!

#28 ·
Well it was a dealer customised truck I saw that made me decide I wanted one and was going to buy one. I ended up buying a stock truck and modding myself but the custom truck catches the eye for those undecided on buying and definately swung me...so I ge why you are doing this. You'll never please everyone whatever choices you make but you only need to please one man! I look foward to seeing what you do.

#29 ·
I just got my Boss lift kit from Toytec (and upper a-arms). The parts look great, and the red springs will stand out. I also have an Aluminess bumper coming as well.

I cant wait to see what you come up with. Just remember, you have to still make money off the sale.

#33 ·
It is interesting the number of people who have asked, "why would a dealer do this?", each time assuming that the dealer pays what we pay for the parts.
The answer given by several posters so far: "because the dealer gets the parts cheap, buys the cheapest ones on top of that, and is really only looking for eye candy for the showroom floor to move the Corollas with".

The most frustrating thing, when one is pretty experienced with something, is being reminded how ignorant most people are on the subject. Ever try to sell a house? The ones that sell the fastest are consistently not the ones with the very best components, and certainly not the ones the buyer can get cheap and add their own taste to, the ones that sell, sell, sell are colored beige from floor to ceiling and have shiny parts (regardless of quality).

It is frustrating to see when you know how to do it better, but you can't argue with what moves when you are in the business of moving the product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.