Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Jack stands vs tire cribs?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Winterpeg 
#1 ·
about to be installing a new front suspension, bumper, winch and skids on my fj.

I'm wanting to get it off the ground during some of the installation. I don't like working under jack stand and am wondering about tire "cribs".

Seems like they'd be perfectly stable and handy as hell. Anyone else using them and have a recommendation as to which ones I should buy? On amazon I'm only seeing some pretty pricey ones and assume there are better values. Just wanting to hear opinions from folks who have used them. Thanks

#2 ·
They look like they would be a pain in the butt to me. You have to jack up all 4 corners high enough to actually be able to fit them under the car, they won't work if you have to pull a tire off to work on stuff like the suspension, and you'd need a place to store 4 rather large things. I don't see how they would be that great myself.

#3 ·
Could be handy for installing skids, but you don't need to raise the car to install a bumper or a winch. For the suspension, they would not work at all since the suspension would be supporting the car and that is what you will be replacing.

Jack stands on the frame work well.

#4 ·
Is your FJ lifted? I put my skids on without lifting the FJ off the ground. Just crawled under and used a floor jack to position each one and then screwed them in. Didn't have to use jack stands.

Might not need jack stands. She didn't.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WYN_QD97x-Y

But then again, do what makes you feel safe.

#5 ·
Right guys, for the suspension it'll have to be stands. I'm thinking for the skids and servicing especially.

My truck isn't lifted, other than running 285's is factory height. Last weekend I serviced the rear end and transfer case and I was just thinking how much nicer it would be if the truck was 6 inches higher off the ground. Got to do the front diff next but I'm having issues removing the drain plug. On very tight and I'm afraid I'm going to round it off.

Also, before installing the skids I want to Por-15 as much of the under carriage as I can. I think the additional height would help here too.

Maybe I'll just screw some sections of 2x12 together and use those.

#6 ·
For times I don't have to pull tires off I use ramps. Pick up a sturdy set and you'll be fine.

For those other times I need to be under the FJ and a tire is off I use the tires as Plan B jack stands... lol. In other words if the FJ falls off the jack stands it will fall onto the tires and not on me. If I have 2 tires off I stack them on top of each other.

This method is a handy jackstand on the trail if you need it too. Use your spare and the tire you remove.

Reactions: Loganbeere
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.