Water leak / air conditioning? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Water leak / air conditioning?

I have water running down into the passenger side compartment and the water is pooling under the plastic floorboard. There are two air conditioning lines that you can see from the engine compartment that run through the firewall and into the passenger compartment air/fan unit. I'm thinking that one of the lines is cracked or possiblly the fan unit is cracked? Is water stored anywhere in the unit or is it more likely the AC line?

Anyone else experience anything like this?

TLCA#16768

33' BFG MUD's, Icon Front Coil Overs, OME Rear Shocks and HD Coils. ARB Bumper, Warn 9500XD winch, MAF Sliders & Skid Plates, Gobi Ranger Rack w/ PIAA Lights ft, rr, sd, w/Gobi Hi Lift, axe and shovel Mounts, Dust Lights. Dirty Parts Dual Batt., Cobra 75 WX ST CB, Yaesu HT170, Xtrm. Hi Lift Jack, Power Tank 10 lbs. CO2 System, All Pro HD LCA's, Custom Rear Drawers, Custom electrical.

Last edited by gon2srf; 05-27-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to taltyman
Re: Water leak / air conditioning?

Also the drain line could be stopped or plugged up.

Follow the yellow brick.
Multivex mirrors, BudBuilt skid, Bandi mount, Midland CB, Firestick, Baja Rack, SAW full suspension, MB 72 black rims, Duratrac p285's, body mount chop, on engine number 2. But it's gone now... So I just hang around

Everything I post is for entertainment purposes only. Any comments about anything political is not intended to be.

My signature picture is our vacation home in Ouray, Colorado about 3 blocks from the FJ Summit HQ.

1967 IH Scout

#3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Forum Veteran

i think you should try dominics onboard dehumidifier mod

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team Edition 6MT 4x4

The mod bug.. Sucks when you get bit. But feels so good to itch it.
Flick photos FJ Bruisers
#4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
taltyman previously said: View Post
Thanks, I'll check that out.

TLCA#16768

33' BFG MUD's, Icon Front Coil Overs, OME Rear Shocks and HD Coils. ARB Bumper, Warn 9500XD winch, MAF Sliders & Skid Plates, Gobi Ranger Rack w/ PIAA Lights ft, rr, sd, w/Gobi Hi Lift, axe and shovel Mounts, Dust Lights. Dirty Parts Dual Batt., Cobra 75 WX ST CB, Yaesu HT170, Xtrm. Hi Lift Jack, Power Tank 10 lbs. CO2 System, All Pro HD LCA's, Custom Rear Drawers, Custom electrical.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
logan9967 previously said: View Post
Ok......?

TLCA#16768

#6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
taltyman previously said: View Post
+1

Water condenses out of the air on the A/C condenser and it is supposed to drain out the bottom of the truck on the passenger side. Your drain must be plugged.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DominicG

Quote:
logan9967 previously said: View Post

Quote:
gon2srf previously said: View Post
Ok......?
I had an extremely leaky roof.. with water leaking out from underneath the dash. It was bad. CLICK

GO D.O.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Ok, I just spent a half hour trying to track down the discharge line to no avail. To me the system looks closed but that is just my initial assessment. Any pros here that can point me to the appropriate location of the discharge line? I am assuming since it is called a discharge line, then it carries the outbound fluids for discharge overboard?

The discharge line is #11 in the illustration.

TLCA#16768

Last edited by gon2srf; 05-27-2008 at 11:59 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Forum Veteran

I'll take a shot at this one. The drain should be coming out of the evaporator enclosure. The evaporator is the radiator type thing inside the passenger compartment. It's what gets cold and cools the air moving over it. When the air is cooled, water condenses on the outside of the evaporator coils, fins or whatever. This water drips to the bottom of the enclosure and exits through a drain port which should have a hose connected to it that discharges beneath the vehicle on the passenger side. I think the #11 line in the diagram may be a refrigerant line and not a drain line. There should be another diagram showing the evaporator and associated lines.

Once you locate the drain line you might try blowing some air back through it to clear out any blockage. It could be something like a glob of lint maybe. A shop vac might also work either blowing back or with suction. I would like to know for sure that whatever was causing the blockage has been removed. You should be able to crawl under the passenger side and spot the drain line. It will likely just be an open ended rubber tube. Be gentle if you poke anything through that tube to clear it. You don't want to punch a hole in the evaporator or the enclosure. Unlikely, but be careful anyway.

'07 Sunfusion

AT 4x4, (CQ) Convenience Pkg, (GY) Airbags, (UR) Upgrade #2, (C8) Rock Rails & Skid Plate, (DH) Towing Hitch, (WL) 17" Alloys, (Z2) 5 pc All Weather Mats/Rear Door Storage/First Aid Kit/Passenger Arm Rest, (3T) Roof Rack

MODS: TRD CAI, Spare Tire Cover, Precision Fit Ballistic Nylon Seat Covers, Warn Receiver Shackle, Sylvania Silver Star Ultra Headlights, LED Dome Light conversions, Puck Light Mod, Under Hood LED Lighting, Aux Backup Lights

Last edited by Catt22; 05-27-2008 at 12:17 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Catt22 previously said: View Post
I'll take a shot at this one. The drain should be coming out of the evaporator enclosure. The evaporator is the radiator type thing inside the passenger compartment. It's what gets cold and cools the air moving over it. When the air is cooled, water condenses on the outside of the evaporator coils, fins or whatever. This water drips to the bottom of the enclosure and exits through a drain port which should have a hose connected to it that discharges beneath the vehicle on the passenger side. I think the #11 line in the diagram may be a refrigerant line and not a drain line. There should be another diagram showing the evaporator and associated lines.

Once you locate the drain line you might try blowing some air back through it to clear out any blockage. It could be something like a glob of lint maybe. A shop vac might also work either blowing back or with suction. I would like to know for sure that whatever was causing the blockage has been removed. You should be able to crawl under the passenger side and spot the drain line. It will likely just be an open ended rubber tube. Be gentle if you poke anything through that tube to clear it. You don't want to punch a hole in the evaporator or the enclosure. Unlikely, but be careful anyway.
Thanks very much. Below is the illustration of the evaporator assembly. #10 is the servo drain hose? I did a lot of crawling and didn't spot the hose.

TLCA#16768

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.