rear tire gas carriers - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
rear tire gas carriers

hi posting about my gas can setup that is nearly complete just have to add the rachet tie downs and mount for a mini shovel underneath.

gas can setup

when i first got my fj I had wanted to build a rear tire gas can holder but lacking the skills and direction to do so I went without for a long time. I came up with the idea of using a 2 1/2" pipe and inner diameter mounting hitch. add a 1/2" pin drill it for 33/64th to fit.

Instead of using U bolts to mount a shovel on the underside im going to weld two bolts facing up on a piece of metal and use 3/8" bolts. otherwise use two galvanized conduit clamps with the nuts ontop and of course use a wingnut. if I cant find a wingnut ill use two nuts and just keep a wrench in the back of the truck.

it can fit two gas cans cantilevered out but carrying that 80 pounds I would want to build a support either from the rear hitch or somehow distribute the weight to the rear bumper. so if I used the two cans one would be full and the other empty for now.

i would appreciate any tips or ideas and would like to see your setup if you have one
jamesepoop and ateamnm like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Supporting Member
Re: rear tire gas carriers

Very cool. I like it. Nice idea and good work.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Got some conduit clamps will put them in within a few weeks. for anyone wanting to know a 3/8" bolt fits the stock bracket perfectly and i checked the plate it is tack welded and bolted on from factory. you just pop the cap off. I think the weight limit would be about 50 lbs without any future problems. and keep the door closed when loaded
jamesepoop likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:33 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)

Doing mine next week with a Olympic 4x4 gas carrier mount made for rotopax systems. I'll have to cut up a plate similar to yours but I decided to use the Blitz cans since I like steel over the poly cans.

Pretty much copying @FlyNdrive set up. Doesn't require any welding, but I definitely wish I had your skills to weld up a mount.

Instead of conduit clamps for your shovel mount, the rubber quickfist clamps could do the job easily as well. But for price the conduit would probably be cheaper

Just for reference of FlyNDrive's mount.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
Doing mine next week with a Olympic 4x4 gas carrier mount made for rotopax systems. I'll have to cut up a plate similar to yours but I decided to use the Blitz cans since I like steel over the poly cans.

Pretty much copying @FlyNdrive set up. Doesn't require any welding, but I definitely wish I had your skills to weld up a mount.

Instead of conduit clamps for your shovel mount, the rubber quickfist clamps could do the job easily as well. But for price the conduit would probably be cheaper

Just for reference of FlyNDrive's mount.
very nice looks to be stainless steel and uses the tire as a brace.

ok conduit clamps in everything complete. here are the pics of the entire setup. photobucket has too many ads now so ill post them here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	851449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	851457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	851465  
Loganbeere and jamesepoop like this.

Last edited by dreadbird; 03-19-2017 at 08:50 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

hi all I thought I would update on the final touches of my gas carrier mod. I had two ideas and chose to use option 1 I have my plate receiver double bolted and welded so not much worry there. I can close my door easy and it supports the tire completely. you can even lift the backend of the track up if you slightly pull up on the tire.

I plan to weld a plate on the end for a sticker or put something there maybe a license plate relocation? if you have any questions about dimensions or even how to weld something i check in now and then. going to be changing out my coolant (10 year mark 5 year intervals) and new thermostat this june.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	862329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	862337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	862345  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage

Looks good. I mounted mine a little higher as not to block the camera. Plus it carries extra lights.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	863.3 KB
ID:	862465  
dreadbird likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

looks much better than the fj cover with the tire tread or pattern on it. a lot of fjs around have to be a cut above hehe. looks good I like the steel wheels as well
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

update on the stock fj tire bracket I just bolted onto the plate (1/2 and 1/4 hole from stock) not going behind the lug nuts with a new plate. the middle portion bent outwards carrying two cans.
my tire jack saved me a big headache.

have to get a plate take 3 dabs of grease and apply to get a template where to drill the holes. 1/4 inch plate and then weld and bolt my bracket on. there are limits with the stock tire carrier. no more than 60 pounds. You can easily stand on the tire like I do when launching my boat but from now on only going to use one can.

Last edited by dreadbird; 04-24-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: stock is 1/2 not 3/8
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Not to hijack the thread: but fascinated by ARB labeled rear winch bumper with shackles? Never have seen one of those before, is it something "custom"? See winch cable and fairlead; but not winch itself?

Really like 2 can holder, as well: but what would be supporting the weight on both filled cans on rear door?

busterfuzz

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.