Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Covering holes in the wheel wells

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Winterpeg 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently I noticed a lot of mud and sand in my engine compartment after a rainy day. Since I didn't drive off-road I was wondering how it could have gotten in there. Then I spotted several holes in the wheels wells. As a quick fix I covered them with duct tape and that seemed to do the trick for now. I was wondering if every car has these holes. I don't see what purpose they can serve. They look almost like mistakes made during production. The pictures I took show most of the holes. There are a couple of others that I didn't photograph. Now I'm thinking of a more permanent fix that doesn't require a lot of work. If anyone has any tips I would appreciate them.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There not mistakes. It looks like from the pics that a few of them are threaded holes. From my experiance they ussually serve a purpose for other options. Mounting points for cold air intakes, super charger brakets, or relocating equipment for the supercharger possibly. Its also possibe that they are there from the molding/stamping prosses.

#4 ·
Duct tape seems to work just fine.:bandit:

#5 ·
I used plastic plugs for panels/headliners and those holes with thread, I put 6mm-1.25 pitch screws.

#6 ·
To cover that big hole in the passenger side, I ordered a body rubber plug from Toyota, P/N 90950-01955.

#9 ·
To cover that big hole in the passenger side, I ordered a body rubber plug from Toyota, P/N 90950-01955.
Wow that's great information. I figured there had to be something. Those holes should really come plugged up from the factory. I guess this saves them a few cents per car and it all adds up.

#7 ·
some of those holes should have had a plastic/rubber plug from the factory. yours may have popped out.

#10 ·
Speaking of this rubber plug topic. I just purchased a 2007 LF (love it and this group). I found two 1-5/8" ID 'panel plugs'
in the drivers door storage bin. Any idea where these may go on Cruiser? I trust there are more than just these two on the vehicle but
their 'missing in action' status has me curious? Tried to find them on many parts diagrams to no avail yet.
Help / comments / suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

#11 ·
Those might be the ones that go in the bottom of the frame... I forget why they get removed but I do recall seeing this before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.