Land Rover Defender Vs. Fj Cruiser - Page 11 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

View Poll Results: Which would you buy?
Toyota FJ Cruiser 97 50.26%
Land Rover Defender 65 33.68%
I would only buy a diesel version of the Defender 31 16.06%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#101 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Land Rover Defender Vs. Fj Cruiser

Dispite being billed as a tough, go anywhere vehicle Land Rovers are not very well suited for life in Canada. One of my friends had one and just like most other English vehicles it suffered from many reliablity problems. One very cold morning the air suspension failed to function. We were 250 km from home at a ski resort. He had to drive all the way back home without any sort of suspension. As the the vehicle aged he was paying thousands in repair bills monthly. He tied to sell it but everyone up hear knows these things are unreliable. He eventualy traded it in at the dealer. I think he got a couple thousand for it.
My FJ is not as "technicaly advanced" as the the Land Rover but it starts even at -30. Same as my old Tacoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#102 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Voodoo Stu previously said: View Post
Dispite being billed as a tough, go anywhere vehicle Land Rovers are not very well suited for life in Canada. One of my friends had one and just like most other English vehicles it suffered from many reliablity problems. One very cold morning the air suspension failed to function. We were 250 km from home at a ski resort. He had to drive all the way back home without any sort of suspension. As the the vehicle aged he was paying thousands in repair bills monthly. He tied to sell it but everyone up hear knows these things are unreliable. He eventualy traded it in at the dealer. I think he got a couple thousand for it.
My FJ is not as "technicaly advanced" as the the Land Rover but it starts even at -30. Same as my old Tacoma.
Somebody correct me if Im wrong but our 93' D110 never had air suspension and neither all NAS D90 but our 94 LWB Range did. The newer Disco/Range lines have all those bells and whistles (electronic gizmos). I may also stand to be corrected but numerous Defenders are on extreme conditions (not only in brochures but in operation) from polar ice caps to smeltering African heat. The Defender is also "not technically advanced" compared to other LR lines.

Remember those National Geographic videos? There some toyotas but also the non-toyota ones are most likely LR Defenders or Series (depending on when your watching them).
#103 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:33 PM

This is an FJ forum...so the FJ. They are two different vehicles, the Land Rover might have the reputation of being a super off road vehicle but with that being said Ill put a Land Rover against a Jeep Rubicon any day and Ill bet the Rubicon will out wheel the Defender seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

I have always loved the Land Rover look, with the Defender at the top of the chart. But Land Rover is known for being un-reliable. Thanks Ill stick with a Toyota but the key in and drive.
#104 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Forum Veteran

Lifetime Supporting Member

Let's don't bring silly Barbie Jeeps into this discussion... Don't even get me started on the new 4 door Jeeps... good lord...

RocketJohn
2008 Sandstorm 4x4, 5AT, UR, CQ, C7, RB, Z2 - 265/70-17 Dura Tracs Sound Deaden install
#105 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:40 AM
Forum Regular

I wheeled my Fj a couple of times and will take it to Iceland to cross the highland next summer...in a week or so, I will start a 3-weeks expedition which takes me from Paris to Dakar, through the Sahara, in a Land Rover Defender 110. I will get back on that question after I return from my expedition (I'll put some pictures on my website as well), but I can already say now that the Diesel Defender is not a vehicle you would want to drive to work with every single day. It just offers zero comfort and driving pleasure....if it's your second or third vehicle you only use for wheeling or expeditions than the Defender will certainly do the job....but the FJ is my only car and I use it on ordinary streets every day - no way I would trade it for a Defender (even an A/C costs an extra 2500 USD!!). By the way, Defenders are cheaper than fully loaded FJs in Sweden - I still imported the FJ:-)

SAAB 900 Turbo Special '89
FJ Cruiser TRD SE
ARB Safari snorkel
Scuba driver mod
Baja Mule Rack (BR-TYFJOEMRCK) for OEM Rack
check out www.go4x4.eu,
www.fjcruiserforums.de
and www.futurcarma.com
#106 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
RocketJohn previously said: View Post
Let's don't bring silly Barbie Jeeps into this discussion... Don't even get me started on the new 4 door Jeeps... good lord...
*Sigh*

Can't we all just get along.....long as the 4 door is 4wd and not 2wd...like both the Wrangler and FJ have in their inventory....

Present:
VW GTI 09 Urban Gray
Huff 18" alloy wheels

2006 Jeep Wrangler "X" TJ Lt.Metallic Khaki

Past:
1989 Ford Bronco II XLT lifted

1990 Toyota Camry-gave to close family friend

Future:
Gas $6.00 a gallon=Horse & Buggy time
#107 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Dragon previously said: View Post
The first time I saw a Defender 90 I fell in love. But I've always been a Toyota guy. I would like to have both
I'm in the same boat as you. I would love to have a d90 or 110, but cannot afford both. I keep looking on Craigslist and seeing used d90's for as much as I could get my FJ used. I have to stop looking at Defenders....must....resist...loooking...

the maintenance defenders require is the only reason keeping me in my FJ plus the obvious creature comforts the FJ also provides.

Last edited by surefire; 04-29-2009 at 10:13 AM.
#108 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Voodoo Stu previously said: View Post
i think you're confusing a mil-spec diesel-powered defender with a poser off road "land rover."

i'd only get a defender if it was new, diesel, and available with a FULL warranty through the rover dealer network in america.

i'm not paying 30 grand for some 30 year old piece of sh!t imported from some yorkshire turnip farm into the US, resprayed, and sold on ebay to morons.

every time i post, 30 jobs are created in nonexistent congressional districts.
#109 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Forum Veteran

"Honk if my fenders fall off", I just love that sticker...
I don't think I would pick an FJ knowing what I know now ("built for off road", just don't bump it to hard...
At the prices, I don't think a LR is for me either...

Guess I'll have to start walking, unless Jeep pulls itself out of the fire.

I think the real question at this point is "how do I sell an FJ with ripped fenders"?
#110 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:01 PM

Saw this thread, thought i would throw in that land rover is the 2nd most unreliable car, just above suzuki.

I have driven the defender (My millionaire next door neighbors who had no intention of taking it off road.)

It has no balls whatsoever.

The fj can tow 5000 lbs, is more reliable, better built, affordable, and more practical.

You are an idiot for starting this thread.

305/65/17 Pro Comp Xterrain ---OME 885/895---Pro Comp 17X8 7089---Back up Camera---Thule Snowboard Racks-------Thule T2 Bike Rack------EGO Bluetooth-----Prob much more to come..

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.