Give us TORQUE! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Give us TORQUE!

Dear Toyota,

I drive a 2010 Trail Team FJ Cruiser. My wife drives a 2012 VW Touareg TDI. I am embarrassed to say that after I drive my wife's Touareg that sports 400+ ft lbs. of torque {from its 3.0 turbo diesel}, my 2010 TT FJ feels like a dog. Oh, and the vdub gets 29 MPG....to my FJ's 18.

Please give us more torque and/or a DIESEL.

If you could combine the qualities of the VW Diesel Engine with the FJ Cruiser, you would really have something special.

2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition
2012 VW Touareg TDI Lux (Diesel, yes!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Give us TORQUE!

The worst of this is that the torque in the FJ is typical of most gas vehicles in that it peaks at such a high rpm that most of us will never gain access to it. I can't remember where I filed the torque curve chart from the FJ but can tell you that when we drive by the 2K rule (for best mileage) we get just a fraction of the maximum torque. Where this is most noticeable is when using cruise and hitting a slight incline which causes the FJ to drop down at least one or even two gears in order to maintain speed.

I bought a '93 Ford F150 when in college. It had the 300ci inline six engine with a five speed and could lug uphill in fifth at just over thirty mph. I've been a fan of inline engines, which by design produce more torque, ever since.

The 170 ci inline six which was in my '64 Ford Falcon had great lugging ability.

FJ Summit Co-Director email: james at fjsummit dot org
2008 Sandstorm, Level 8 Guardian 16x8.5, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16E, Radflo suspension, Total Chaos UCAs, BudBuilts, Exp One w/Superwinch 9000s, Exp One rear bumper w/tire carrier, BajaRack, Dual batteries, Viair 450A and CO2, MetalTech upper and lower links, and some other goodies

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I agree more torque would be nice but not if it includes a particulate filter and urea injection like the HD turbodiesels have now. It's turning out to be a real headache and has hurt their mileage considerably. Maybe someting along the line of Fords ecoboost engine but around 2.5 litres. This combine with a six speed auto might do the trick. It could generate a little more torque than the FJ's 4 litre and would have a flatter torque curve. Ford's 3.6 ecoboost betters their 5.0 liter. With a properly geared 6 speed and good electronic control of the tranny you should be able to achieve pretty good mileage.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'd rather take the FJ with it's "wimpy" torque-less engine and under-$30k price, than pay >$50k for the Touareg. If you want more torque and can afford it, get the Land Cruiser (or Lexus LX).

The reality is that you can get only what you pay for. Can Toyota make the FJ "better"? Of course, but few will be willing to pay the price. Every engineered product is a compromise between what the engineers would like to put in it, and what the consumers can realistically afford.

The FJ has been around for 6 years by now, it's due for a renewal. No doubt that the next generation FJ will have some improvements. But FJ and Touareg are vehicles in different price categories and they will never be direct competitors.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not that this is an easy or inexpensive fix; however Brian Crower makes a Stroked Crank for our 1GR.

It is north of $3,500 but they can make it anywhere between 96-103MM Stroke, as opposed to our stock 95MM.

I am not a vendor nor do I see anything from making this information known. They do not list this Crank on their website as only a few have been made, mostly for the Dubai crowd.

BrianCrower.com | RunBC.com // Nissan // VQ35DE
Contact Dustin at the number listed on the webpage.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
...Where this is most noticeable is when using cruise and hitting a slight incline which causes the FJ to drop down at least one or even two gears in order to maintain speed.
I live in Tennessee where hills "are a plenty." It's maddening when the FJ drops down 2 gears and winds out just to mainain the same speed limit.

2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition
2012 VW Touareg TDI Lux (Diesel, yes!)
#7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 154 Post(s)

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
...I bought a '93 Ford F150 when in college. It had the 300ci inline six engine with a five speed and could lug uphill in fifth at just over thirty mph. I've been a fan of inline engines, which by design produce more torque, ever since.

The 170 ci inline six which was in my '64 Ford Falcon had great lugging ability.
Ah, the Ford 300ci I6. I had a buddy in high school that had one in a mid-80s F-150 and that motor was great for that half-ton truck. My personal love affair with inline six-cylinder engines started with a pair of 280z's. When I wrecked a '77 my Dad and I driveway-swapped out the motor into '76 with a tired engine and I was amazed at how smooth it ran with a lack of back-pressure when we did our first test start. Actually 'lack of back-pressure' is an understatement since we didn't even have the exhaust manifold on it at the time. It was LOUD and glorious, but managed to keep an even idle. When I bought my '97 GTI the decision was all about the engine to me, VW's 15-degree VR6, which made 172hp/173lb-ft. The characteristics of that engine were very much like an inline six and a far cry from all the other cars I drove at the time. That engine is still my benchmark for drivability, smooth revving, and sound. 15yrs on it does feel underpowered compared to most of today's powerplants, but it will still run from walking speed to 96mph in 3rd gear, hit the limiter at 130mph, and get 25-ish MPG after a week of driving it however I want to. Too bad the car fell apart around the motor...

#8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm curious to know how "best mileage" is served by keeping the engine in the "2K rule" rpm range - well below the "best torque" range. Flat cruising is understandable, but why would you not want to find better torque range on inclines?

Or is the problem not with the engine but with how the A/T is programmed to shift?

(I own two Dodge/Cummins diesel trucks, so I understand and approve of the advantages of small diesel I6 engines for vehicles like the FJ, by the way.)
#9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:45 AM

Garage

How can you compare a turbo VW with an overweight FJ? Have you done any performance upgrades to make up for the extra weight your hauling around? My 07 FJ is a 6M, so its full time 4X4. Check out my dyno specs. It's got plenty of torque....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FJ Cruiser Dyno run 001.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	57768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno  01.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	57769  

N9RTN 2007 Black Cherry, 6M, ScanGuage II, TRD exhaust, JBA headers, TRD CAI, TRD brakes, TRD Quick Shifter, White Knuckle HD Sliders, Warn rear bumper, blacked out front bumper, mirrors, door handles, black bed liner on roof, WeatherTech window vents, black powder coated alloys. And I just bought it in 09/11! More to come....Just added Toytec Ultimate 3" Lift. 6/12 Added Demello Single Hoop Front Bumper, WWOR LCAs http://www.demello-offroad.com/
#10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

It is so sad, but true. A while back I provided the Torque to weight ratio of the FJ-C Vs the FJ-40 and the FJ-40 (F2 engine) was the winner, but don't confuse Torque & Power. Agreed torque will give you crawling and hauling guts with the milage you are asking for, but will not give you acceleration. The power does that or the ability to develop torque quickly and have it increase/sustain with RPM. This is why we must maintain the demand for the 2010+ supercharger!

The reason why we retain memories is because we are not are not caught in a time loop. The reason why we are not caught in a time loop is becasue it is not possible to go backwards in time only forward!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.