Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Frame Coating and Rust

52K views 55 replies 30 participants last post by  Vetter 
#1 ·
I would like to tell Toyota to spend a few more bucks on a decent frame coating, that actually covers the welds, so that a brand new BOF Toyota doesn't have rust on every weld point, from the boat ride over.

Why do they still not get it, even after all of their rust issues in the past?

*Picture of my 2013 4runner's frame at 2000miles (I know it isn't a FJ, but the FJs have the same issue)

This is just one example, but literally every weld on my frame has spots surface rust

See less See more
#7 ·
Good to know. I've been trampling around the sand dunes and the beach like there's no such thing as rust. Actually, I do take it down to the sprayer for a quick rinse after most trips to the beach, but I have skipped it a couple times.

Now I have to crawl my fat ass under there and investigate!

#8 ·
I had the same problem on my 2013 TT. I had a meet with the factory rep a month after I bought my FJ. The rep had the balls to say it was from stones being kicked up from the tires. After an hour of arguing with the jerk they went and lifted up a brand new FJ, that truck had three times the rust mine had. At this point I told the factory rep that Toyota ships should take a different route to avoid all the stones the ship kicks up. The rep finally agreed that it was a factory defect and authorized the dealer to fix. The dealer gave me a loaner and a week later my truck was rust free. The guys at Capital Toyota in Chattanooga were great. The factory rep was jerk.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
#13 ·
Thanks for the link! I had heard of some Tacoma guys using something similar, and I was actually looking for info on this! I know the NAVY uses something like this on their ships to help fight rust, so the science is proven.

I live in a pretty corrosive free environment. If it does snow, no salt is used, so I was pretty shocked to see this on a new car. I went to a dealer, and saw this on every 4runner I saw on the lot, and I have heard so much about it from every model of Toyota BOF, so I know it is pretty wide spread, which is sad.

Here is my theory. Toyota's coating doesn't adhear well to the welds, so every frame weld has some spots of missing coating, exposing bare metal. On the boat ride over from Japan, the salty sea water/air causes any of these exposed spots to develop light surface rust, so sadly even new Toyota BOFs on the lot have rust....

If only toyota cared a little more, and spent a few more bucks using a coating that would stick to the welds, before the frame was mated to the body, there would be 100% coverage. Now the best I can hope for is about 80-90%.

Most of the 4runner guys I have talked to seem to not care about rust, they are too busy pretending to be ultra-hardcore offroaders that don't care about the condition of their vehicle, and pretty much think I am crazy for caring about a rusty frame...I am glad you guys have some senses to you!

#11 ·
It is a shame, but Toyota has become well known for rust issues. Sometimes it is just plain cheap sloppy work, like the frame paint. Other times it is design issues like how the 60 and 70 series rust from the inside out above the rain gutter on the roof. Condensation gets trapped up inside and rust eats its way through from the inside out.

I have always sprayed my frames with Rustoleum from day one. Not only does it help prevent rust from getting a foothold, it also gives the elements something to wear on prior to working on the frame itself. I re paint pretty much every year.

#54 ·
Yep my 70 rusted from the inside out but at the bottom of the B pillar and at the rear quarters. This is despite me filling the void with loads of rust proofer when I got it.

I painted the frame and underside every year and the frame stayed sound.

My FJ is finally on its way to me I think it sounds like my first job is to proof that!

Mind you if you want real rust try Land Rover they are expert at it... The Defender rusts for a hobby despite the panels being aluminium! The rear cross member is the first to go... The rest follows despite their self proofing system of oil leaks:grin

#15 ·
I've used Fluid Film on every single one of my vehicles since 1997 and never had a rust issue, ever.
I live in north central PA where PennDOT uses road salt like it's going out of style 5 months out of the year and my wife's 2007 4runner and my current 2005 corolla have zero rust anywhere.

I always get mine of amazon and it' usually 10-12 bucks a can to your door.

I use it on my boat trailer too, works like a champ.

Whichever vehicle I buy next (FJ or Tacoma) will certainly get the fluid film treatment.

just my $.02.

#23 ·
I'm not sure where Whiplash Willy is from since there's no hint of location listed but he's in for a treat if he's in a salty area or drives through a salty area.

My FJ definitely had more rust than his on day one and it really looks like poo now even though I avoid driving my FJ when salt is on the roads. I plan to do the Fluid Film as well . . . if I can find the time.

#27 ·
I am in Portland Oregon. They use Mag-Chloride anytime when it the temp is below 40*, which is insane, wasteful, and completely unnecessary.

I have power washed the under carriage as best as I could a few times when the De-Icer trucks were out in swarms, but I haven't really looked at the condition of the frame yet....hopefully it isn't too bad. I will be addressing it this spring.

On a side note, I was just changing the diff fluids on my wife's 2006 GX470, and the frame actually looks better at 80k miles then mine did at 2k miles, so Toyota does know how to coat a frame, they just don't want to spend the money to do so.

#25 ·
I will chime in and say I am pretty impressed with Fluid Film. I sprayed all I could with 2.5 cans before Xmas and it has really kept the underside more black and clean than it would usually be.

Only downside is after I applied it I have been getting a nasty popping sound from my driver-side front suspension or something. I am pretty sure it loosened something up, that was otherwise probably gunked in place. I have taken the wheel off multiple times and cannot diagnose it :(

#28 ·
With Fluid Film are the any cautionary places to avoid when spraying? Or can you coat the whole bottom? Is there a good thread out there for this? This winter is killing me as I look at the salty mess at single digit temps that don't let me spray the rig off...

#34 ·
DONT spray the exhaust. Youll get some on it anyway and itll stink, but I wouldnt want to have to burn a whole coating off!!.

While driving it will sort of fly back and coat it a little anyway.. it coated the whole front of the muffler and the tailpipe at the rear just from it migrating and I guess coming off a little. no biggie

#36 ·
I've had 4x4's since the early 70's and lived on the coast most of that time. I found Zinc Chromate Primer , then rustoleum spray paint, then ruberized spray undercoating, works great on the undercarrage and not had any rust issues when treated.
Do not use undercoating without the other coatings first.

#37 ·
I used 3 cans of fluid film on mine for 2013-2014 winter so I'll check underneath to see how it did in about a month if it ever warms up here in PA!

The only thing I didnt like about it was it smells like rotten fish for weeks in my garage and even had some smell inside the FJ. urggg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.