Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Toyota...wha the heck?

38K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  FJ Cruiser Matt 
#1 ·
My brakes squealed today for the first time in near 9 years. You couldn't build something squeak free for the life of my ownership?

This also comes on the heels of my OEM battery dying....didn't even reach 10 yrs.

What's next.....steering wheel shimmy?

Some days I wonder why I even bought a Toyota.

#3 ·
So, is this what we all have to look forward to in say 10-20 years? Well crap!

#6 ·
At least there is yet another thread to offer suggestions on what to buy now that the FJ is discontinued and will not have any parts available after May 23, 2015 as they will be all sold out and no more made........

#7 ·
:lol:

#16 ·
:grin:wink:rocker::lol::lol::lol:

#17 ·
So one time while I was at band camp... it was like 9 months ago but I noticed my shaft was all rusty and it leaked...

I should ban myself... :lol:

#19 ·
Yup that Datsoon is spendy to fix.

Just ready that a brake job is $3000 an axle (to do it yourself) Thats just pads and rotors
A set of tires will set me back $2400... thats for 4 :lol: and they like the brakes can be done in 6-12K
The tranny can blow up too... With repeated use of launch control. It used to 23K but now is a super cheap 12K :lol:

Im gunna "pay" for my indiscretions... :lol:

#21 ·
I'm wondering why they didn't put on the anti-rock windshield laser system :mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry: >:D

#23 ·
At least he never owned a 1970's WV Rabbit. The company tried going to a newer, more metallic non-asbestos brake pad material at that time and the damn things squealed when they were almost brand new! They'd work fine for a few miles, then SCREECH! When they got wet, even worse! Us poor mechanics were pulling out our hair out trying all sorts of dampening compounds and caliper lubricants just to shut them up because the customers complained like crazy. I would have too by the way. It was LOUD. Never did find a really good fix for those new style pads, so VW eventually went back to some softer formula. They wore out quicker, but hey, they didn't squeal.

#26 ·
I never did. That thing also ran straight from October to April, it was easier to leave it running all night instead of cold starting and letting it warm up.

Reactions: Basil
#28 ·
You were lucky. I'd say about 60 percent of those engines blew their head gaskets well before they should have. Maybe leaving the engine running helped. Less thermocycling, which I think was the probably the cause. Aluminum and iron never matched in expansion and contraction rates, at lest with that engine, so the head gaskets would constantly get scrubbed, then eventually fail with the high compression pressures. That engine was based off of their gas engine, so it's wasn't a great from-ground-up diesel design to start with anyway.

At least it wasn't as bad as the Oldsmobile fiasco.

Oldsmobile Diesel Engines - Top Automotive Engineering Failures - Popular Mechanics

#31 ·
Yeah, see there.....Ya should have gotten a Jeep, i mean Fiat...
It cramp inside,drives like an old leaf spring based flatbed, and isn't very reliable and you would have probably sold it after a couple years. Problem solved.. no squeaks or breaks for the life of your ownership.

:jester:

#36 ·
PIC,
50K on brakes with more than 50% left on a wear item like brakes and or tires is pretty good wear on a 4K pound truck, IMHO.
At that rate, you could get over 100K+ on the brakes.
I would be thrilled with that performance.
What are you expecting.
These types of wear items vary depending on the terrain and you driving habits.

i would say that you are pretty easy on the brakes, and they are lasting pretty well!! What did the manager say?….gm

#37 ·
I was being sarcastic based on previous comments that started this thread. I'm actually amazed at the over engineering put into the FJ. This is also not a mall crawler and sees regular off road use. The statement about 50000 miles and over 70% left on brakes is true though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.