Front receiver + brush guard + skid plate = impossible? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Front receiver + brush guard + skid plate = impossible?

I have a new-to-me 2007 FJ (lil' blue) with a factory skid plate. We plan to do mild off-roading (Death Valley, Mojave Road, South Padre, Joshua Tree, etc.). I would like to have a front receiver for recovery and for a front basket. I would like a brush guard because they look so cool. I want a skid plate because car guts are expensive and rare in the desert.

It looks like front receivers eliminate the use of a front skid plate. It looks like brush guards use the front recovery loops for attachment, and are not strong enough for recovery.

Does anyone have all three? Any ideas?

oldMattB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 AM
THE ROCK

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Front receiver + brush guard + skid plate = impossible?

Brush bars are considered by many to be damage multipliers. Why don't you just get a winch bumper with a winch mount and a skid will fit just fine?

"The Rock"
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...8490-rock.html

WikidfJ Partially retired
Wikid link
#3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
puulboy previously said: View Post
Brush bars are considered by many to be damage multipliers. Why don't you just get a winch bumper with a winch mount and a skid will fit just fine?
Interesting thought on the brush guard. I considered a winch and bumper, but I am trying to avoid the cost. I do have a 2-ton come-along and chain to take along, but I hope to avoid getting stuck altogether.

It seems like a winch starts a whole chain of expenses, bumper, dual batteries, isolator, bigger alternator, etc.

oldMattB
#4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
oldMattB previously said: View Post
It seems like a winch starts a whole chain of expenses, bumper, dual batteries, isolator, bigger alternator, etc.

oldMattB
Sounds like you are in the wrong hobby.

On a side note, Im confused by your statement where you think having any of the requested configuration in your OP would allow you NOT to get stuck?

Quote:
I do have a 2-ton come-along and chain to take along, but I hope to avoid getting stuck altogether.
Double side note. Is that a normal TON or a metric TON? either way 2 Tons to move a 4300LB truck that is stuck is not advisable unless you have some type of mechanical advantage.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Hobby it is not. I write and perform music, collect Indian art, hoard history books (over 700), etc. Too many hobbies as it is. The FJ was purchased because it seemed the most reliable way to see all the dirt roads we have passed in the last five years while driving in our motor home, with the FJ being reasonably comfortable to drive 1000 or so miles to get to the dirt road. I do not relish time spent working on a vehicle - I built a couple of street rods and the doing is all out of my system. I hate changing oil.

I don't think having the equipment would help me avoid getting stuck - I hope I didn't make it sound that way. I would avoid getting stuck by not taking chances on a dicey trail, not bashing my radiator on a rock, traveling in a group, avoiding the wet or muddy season, following direction of those more experienced than me, going slow enough to anticipate my next move, scouting stream crossings or tall grass before proceeding, carrying an extra accessory belt, bringing along a decent tool kit, having a couple of straps, chains, the mentioned come-along, and being willing to turn back.

oldMattB
#6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

correction - 8800 pound come-along. I just looked at the box.

oldMattB
#7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

The simplest way to accomplish what you want is probably to add a front receiver like the one from Curt. Then go for lightweight skids like those from Ricochet. I'd forgo the grill guard because they don't usually accomplish very much except mount off-road lights. Going the full bumper and winch thing can quickly become very costly. It starts with suspension (springs or spacers) then shocks then upper A-arms then...
I once asked Lucrum if they planned producing a sturdy front receiver and they said the demand wasn't there. I disagree but then I don't produce front receivers either. For the price that some of these rigs have been modified, you could afford an awesome dedicated off-road crawler with a trailer. That's not counting the extra daily costs they pay through poor gas mileage and chewed up mud tires used for commuting.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Sockless Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Hitch receiver, brush guard (attached to the frame, better known as a bumper, and skid plate. Hmmmmm

#9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to borpa11

OldMatB, A consideration is to fabricate your own front receiver. Suprisingly this is easier than you may think and would solve a couple of your issues. If you look under your rig you will see the primary crossmember/bumper backing. This is held on by 8 bolts (easily accesible) and a couple of trim to bumper pieces. Once removed this can be boxed welded and the a receiver placed on top of it. Then the only thing remaining is to cut a square in the lowere grill mesh to access it (the recieiver).

Now the strength of this depends on your welding (or your welders welding) but it is quick and provides a very inexpensive option without hitting your wallet or altering the vehicle where there will be warrentee issues etc. As to a brush guard.....I wouldnt do it. Not on the factory bumper.

God forgives...Rocks Dont!
Thats what plates and sliders are for!!!!

Mods- Just a guy and my truck.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Hey all,

I looked at the Cort front receiver, but it sat so low, it would practically eliminate the stock skid guard. That would leave either a low accessory attached, or a nice extension of the frame waiting to smack something. I have a front receiver on my Tundra, and hitting a parking billet at 1/2 mph is jarring. At any speed over that would be horrendous.

You have talked me out of the stock-type brush guard. Dragon, your bumper is wonderful, but probably to aggressive and expensive for us. Your photos on your build thread are inspiring!

Fab a receiver... I saw the parts at Harbor Freight yesterday... I know a good welder... Receiver up and out of the way... A basket in the receiver would still have a good approach angle...

This may be the way to go. You guys are great!

oldMattB

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.