Brush Guards - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brush Guards

So I have kicked around the idea of getting a new bumper, bull bar, and a brush guard. And for me, A brush guard just makes the most sense. I plan on mounting two PIAA's (details TBD) on the guard.

Anyone have any experience with Brush guards and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

2008 Silver FJ
-3in Rough Country Lift
-XD Diesel Rims w/ 285 BFG AT's.

War Eagle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Re: Brush Guards

Quote:
OleMissFJ previously said: View Post
So I have kicked around the idea of getting a new bumper, bull bar, and a brush guard. And for me, A brush guard just makes the most sense. I plan on mounting two PIAA's (details TBD) on the guard.

Anyone have any experience with Brush guards and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
I'm sure you've read all the Pros and Cons? Damage multiplier and some of the Brush guards vibrate and shake when you hit pot holes or if you have a out of balance tire. I used to have the Hunter 807...it was sturdy enough and I think Stallion and several others are built well.

Fabtech 6"+ OME 3" 20" BBS
Federal 35" M/T,1.25 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy Outfitters bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill
#3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
fj6high previously said: View Post
I'm sure you've read all the Pros and Cons? Damage multiplier and some of the Brush guards vibrate and shake when you hit pot holes or if you have a out of balance tire. I used to have the Hunter 807...it was sturdy enough and I think Stallion and several others are built well.
Yea, I thought about getting a new bumper all together but I don't wheel hard enough to really put the money into it. Guess I better do some shopping

2008 Silver FJ
-3in Rough Country Lift

War Eagle!
#4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Forum Superstar

To me the whole damage multiplier aspect makes me shy away from brush guards. If you really just want to mount additional lights there are ways to mount them to the stock bumper.

Pictures of Lights Mounted to Stock Front Bumper

Extra driving/fog lights to stock bumper/rack.

Piaa installed on bumper

MOUNTING AUXILIARY LIGHTS: On stock front bumper

Installing Lights On Stock Bumper

So if lights are your priority I would mount them on the stock bumper, if you just want the look then a brush guard is an affordable way to get there, if you want any additional protection (whether that's for 4wheeling, things like deer or tress, or traffic) then just save up and get an aftermarket bumper.

Just looking at the 'buyer's guide - product comparison' part of this site it appears that most of the various brush guards and light bars run around $200 - $450 while $600 gets you a basic aftermarket bumper. Of course you might find either option cheaper used. It also looks like there might be a group buy on Demello bumpers (I love mine), so I would keep my eye put for that (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-buy-info.html).

'07 VB FJ 6MT, 3'' OME, 285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 16x8 ATX Chamber Teflons, Demello Front Bumper, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Lightforce 170s, Trail Gear sliders, SCUBA Mod and some other minor doodads...

The Ultimate Toolbox: Duct tape - For things that move but shouldn't; WD40 - For things that don't move but should.

My build
#5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM

If you buy a used Brush guard (ex.OEM) Locate a template before you buy it. That was the hardest part for me. Also make double sure all the nuts bolts brackets and support plates come with it. Good Luck.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Forum Veteran

If you decide to go with an OEM brushguard then make sure you get all the hardware with it as the install kit is expensive (about $150 ish ??) Its only a couple of brackets and bolts but when a good like new brushguard with the brackets goes for about $250 or so you don't want to bump it to $400 just because the seller was lazy and didn't include all the brackets. You can see the parts in the pdf below.

This file has the install instructions:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-brsh71fj.pdf

This file has the mounting template:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-template.pdf
#7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate all the input!

2008 Silver FJ
-3in Rough Country Lift

War Eagle!
#8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:17 AM
K-2
Forum Regular

My brush guard pretty muched distroyed my entire front end from a little fender bender i got into last week. over 7k damage. if the brush guard had not been there i would have only been looking at replacing a fender and fender flare.

So no more brush guards for me, going with a real bumper this time around.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to zam244

I got a manik brush guard, havent had any problems yet, I will let you know how it handles when i do though!

I was thinking of keeping my brushguard and mounting a demello replacement bumper with it in the future, think that would work? As bad as it sounds, i am waiting for a deer to come my way... of course a deer would prob wreck more than my bumper..

2007 Black Diamond FJ 4X4
MODS:
Manik S.S. Guard, Manik S.S. rear tailight guards,K&N CAI, URD Quick shifter, AllPro 1.5" Wheel spacers, Bushwacker Pocket-fenders, Hella Black Magic Driving Lights, Thule universal 6 ski rack, Thule spare tire bike rack, AVIC-f90BT deck, Stubbs Welding Sliders, plus some TRD goodies

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.