Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Read this! It's important, Really!!

22K views 118 replies 64 participants last post by  SWITAWI 
#1 ·
This is to all you folks who have NOT opened your REAR window in a long time. Open it and clean out the area around the window. I just opened mine after years of not opening it and it was full of crap that will hold moisture and rot out the door frame. Open yours and tell me what you find. For those of you who don't know how to open the rear window, you have to put the key in the rear lock and turn it clockwise and hold it for about 3 seconds. Good luck.

#36 ·
Well I am glad people have grime in there becasue I keep mine opened 2" via dog leash mod and it has never been closed (only 3 months so far). I am seeing some soot on the back of the headliner where it meets the rear door and I thought it was because the window was open.

Seems like it gets in there no matter what! Now I never have to close it! I don't know how anyone can drive with it closed and the front windows open - it rips your ear off!

#37 ·
My FJ is 3 months and I just opened the rear window for the first time. Not too terribly bad, but I'm glad I did. Just a few dried up leaves and some minor muck that was easily cleaned up with a quick wipe down, but good to know about this. I set my Blackberry to check again in another 3 months! :p

#38 ·
I just opened mine and it was full of leaves. Got to check more often

#44 ·
Gooooood info. Thx for bumping this.

#47 ·
Good call, my truck is only 9 months old, been offroad 3 times and it was pretty nasty, had to pull the window open. Thanks for the info, will add this to the need to clean list.

#48 ·
mines only a couple of months old but I thought I check it anyways, a few things I learned, it was clean ( that's good ), you need to hold the key in the unlock position for a second or two for the lock mechanism to release and I'll treat the rubber seal with NAPA RuGlyde Rubber Lubricant today.

#61 ·
My God, it's been along time since I've been to this forum and read those wise words of wisdom!
It's time for a good cleaning, especially behind the window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.