How to disable drl's? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to disable drl's?

Southeast Toyota says dealers know how to disable DRL's; but my dealer claims they do not? Apparently, this is NOT a federally mandated safety requirement: but manufacturer choice?

On verge of joining sheriff's reserve and among other things want to disable DRL's for daytime suspect/fugitive searches. Originally wanted aftermarket exhaust for more power and better sound: but not want to keep stock, as it's so quiet.

Presume it entails going into computer somewhere to disableand canit be done with handheld device at dealer?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: How to disable drl's?

There are a few threads. This one should help you out...
DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS (DRL): Disconnect
#3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

You need to do a search on the threads for "how to disable DRL's" and you will find a bunch of info on how to do that in great detail with pics. The dealer wont do it for you as they consider it a safety issue and in case your in an accident dont want the potential liability....its a legal thing.

I'm with you in that I hated my DRL's and disconnected mine with the "snipping the small blue wire" method and it worked great with no residual effects on anything else. You'll see what I'm referring to when you do your search. There are other methods in the threads but some caution that they can cause excessive heating up of a certain resister in the headlight circuit. Once again you will see that too once you do the reseach and you just need to decide which method is for you.

One of the many reasons why I wanted them off was because I changed my bulbs to Sylvania Brightstar and I didnt want them on all the time (even with less power). Good luck in your search.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

I tried using search Zeke and window didn't come up to state search parameters? Hopefully "mom's" will?

Thank you both!
#5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 108 Post(s)

Quote:
sigtrovert previously said: View Post
Southeast Toyota says dealers know how to disable DRL's; but my dealer claims they do not? Apparently, this is NOT a federally mandated safety requirement: but manufacturer choice?

On verge of joining sheriff's reserve and among other things want to disable DRL's for daytime suspect/fugitive searches. Originally wanted aftermarket exhaust for more power and better sound: but not want to keep stock, as it's so quiet.

Presume it entails going into computer somewhere to disableand canit be done with handheld device at dealer?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Don't bother cutting anything... There's a 2"x3" aluminum-clad resistor behind the grill below the driver's side headlight. The connector for it is right above it attached to the radiator support. Just unplug it. It has a retaining latch that you just press on to unplug, and it's an extremely tight fit for large hands, but work at it and you'll get it. The latch is on the plug, on the harness side. The DRL's seek ground through that resistor when you turn the key on. The resistor limits that ground, that's why they are dimmer than with the normal headlight function. You're just eliminating that ground. Don't remove the fuse or relay or your headlights won't work. The DRL fuse powers the DRL relay coil. The DRL relay supplies full ground to the headlights when the headlights are turned on.

Lugnut's build:
"pSYCHO bILLY cADILLAC"

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-cadillac.html
DEGUELLO.

Last edited by PSYCHO BILLY; 11-17-2011 at 08:30 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
PSYCHO BILLY previously said: View Post
Don't bother cutting anything... There's a 2"x3" aluminum-clad reistor behind the grill below the driver's side headlight. Just unplug it. It has a retaining latch that you just press on to unplug, and it's an extremely tight fit for large hands, but work at it and you'll get it. The latch is on the plug, on the harness side. The DRL's seek ground through that resistor when you turn the key on. The resistor limits that ground, that's why they are dimmer than with the normal headlight function. You're just eliminating that ground. Don't remove the fuse or relay or your headlights won't work. The DRL fuse powers the DRL relay coil. The DRL relay supplies full ground to the headlights when the headlights are turned on.
This. It really is as simple as it sounds

-Nick

#7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Tatem
Just unplug it. Very easy. I have unplugged many on the trail before night runs.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 108 Post(s)

Quote:
Xx_Black-out previously said: View Post
This. It really is as simple as it sounds
Someone, somewhere, somehow will complicate this somewhat.

Lugnut's build:
"pSYCHO bILLY cADILLAC"

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-cadillac.html
DEGUELLO.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Tatem previously said: View Post
Just unplug it. Very easy. I have unplugged many on the trail before night runs.
True story. I'm not good at names and it was dark, but I'm pretty sure Tatem's the one that unplugged my DRLs on the Saturday night run at WTF 2011. It's easy if you can squeeze your hand in there.

-Mike

2007 Black Diamond 6MT - Sold
1996 LandCruiser "The White Whale" - OME 3" - Slee ShortBus - Goodyear MT/R 315/75R16 - Warn 9.5xp-s - 211k miles, 5 oil leaks, 4 hub leaks, 3 non-working key locks, 2 unbalanced driveshafts, 1 sunroof leak, and a whole lot of fun.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
PSYCHO BILLY previously said: View Post
Someone, somewhere, somehow will complicate this somewhat.
Say it ain't so

-Nick

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.