anyone ever put bedliner (line-x, rhino liner, etc) on their rock sliders? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
anyone ever put bedliner (line-x, rhino liner, etc) on their rock sliders?

i just bought some all pro rock sliders. i just purchased my first FJ (2007 manual) and am planning on installing these rock sliders after i paint them. i was talking with my brother about them tonight and he instantly recommended putting some sort of truck bed liner on them just to get some grip when stepping up on them.

i am not going to really have my FJ on rocks getting extreme (for now). i thought it was a pretty good idea to protect the rock sliders. i am thinking of possibly buying and coating the rock sliders myself so if they get chipped up a little i plan on repairing them myself.

does anyone have any helpful advice on possibly painting the sliders with bedliner? has anyone seen this done before? any pics would be awesome to see!

Check out my latest YouTube Videos ---> http://www.youtube.com/dickdog75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Re: anyone ever put bedliner (line-x, rhino liner, etc) on their rock sliders?

It looks good but the first scratch that goes thru the liner will be heck to repair. I would suggest to just paint them and then go by the local skate board shop and get some grip tape for traction on the topside. Will make repairs a lot easier and cheaper.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Dusther previously said: View Post
It looks good but the first scratch that goes thru the liner will be heck to repair. I would suggest to just paint them and then go by the local skate board shop and get some grip tape for traction on the topside. Will make repairs a lot easier and cheaper.
great idea!!! any more great ideas will be awesome too!

Check out my latest YouTube Videos ---> http://www.youtube.com/dickdog75
#4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Forum Veteran

Sliders are made to take a serious beating...way beyond the strength of ANY coating including industrial strength powder coating. The key to looking good (as you already said) is to paint them yourself and keep your touch up kit handy.

My touch up kit includes black satin rustoleum paint, 200 grit sandpaper, a rag, and a newspaper.

I looked long and hard at non-skid alternatives and ended using nothing because I knew they would all turn to crap sooner or later. In the end I am very happy I did nothing because they are not all that slippery to begin with. I stand on my sliders all the time as do my kids, and for whatever reason, nobody has ever slipped on them. (and i mean NEVER).

One of the few times in my life that doing nothing was exactly the right thing to do. Put them on and give it some time...my guess is you will be happy you punted on the non-skid.

Last edited by fj_dave; 01-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I put the rustoleum bedliner on mine after they rusted through the powdercoat. I sanded and cleaned and hit with that and have loved it, no rust and the touch up is just as easy as paint. I also did my bandi mount that rusted every year. It has been two years now and no rust whatsoever. I would do it again in a second.

2007 Black Cherry AT
3" OME lift
GoodYear Dura Trac 285/70/17
Richocet Airdam with HID lights
Metal Tech front tube bumper w 9" Hella Illuminators
Domello Hybrid Sliders
Ricochet Skids
Scuba Mod
Rear Flood Lights
Onboard air
Overhead Console w/ Homelink, Maplight
Cobra CB w/ Bandi Mount
XM radio
Afe CAI
Afe TBS
JBA exhaust
Tinted front windows
Heated seats

#6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
SKIBUMM previously said: View Post
I put the rustoleum bedliner on mine after they rusted through the powdercoat. I sanded and cleaned and hit with that and have loved it, no rust and the touch up is just as easy as paint. I also did my bandi mount that rusted every year. It has been two years now and no rust whatsoever. I would do it again in a second.
Never heard of that stuff...learn something new every day. So the touch-ups don't pile up on themselves and/or get gunky or anything?
#7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

i linex'd my allpro's too. they came out great and trail pretty often, and have only scratched them once. I had the line-x guy touch them up when i got my roof done.

If you aren't going to be doing straight rock crawling, i think its a good idea. My GF loves them too when its wet out, as it provided a pretty good amount of grip.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
fj_dave previously said: View Post
Never heard of that stuff...learn something new every day. So the touch-ups don't pile up on themselves and/or get gunky or anything?
Nope you cant een tell where the touch up is. It is a bit thiner than line X or rhino lining. Hell I use it a bunch. I have a 328i that the stick shift leather was torn and I taped it off and hit it with that for a few coats and it looks like a new knob.

2007 Black Cherry AT
3" OME lift
GoodYear Dura Trac 285/70/17
Richocet Airdam with HID lights
Metal Tech front tube bumper w 9" Hella Illuminators
Domello Hybrid Sliders
Ricochet Skids
Scuba Mod
Rear Flood Lights
Onboard air
Overhead Console w/ Homelink, Maplight
Cobra CB w/ Bandi Mount
XM radio
Afe CAI
Afe TBS
JBA exhaust
Tinted front windows
Heated seats

#9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Forum Regular

There is a member on here that used a mountain bike tires and zip ties on his rock sliders...came out looking bad ass!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock Rail with Mountain Bike Tires as Ant-Slip 1.jpg
Views:	7817
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	51591  

FJ 007
'07 FJC 4WD
All Black Diamond UP2, int/ext LED's
Front: Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5"
Rear: Bilstein 5100's w/1.5" Daystar Spacer
285/70/17 FALKEN RM ATS, MB V-DRIVE, OEM Rock Sliders, ARIES Bumper Guard, 4300k HID's in both HL & custom fog lights, 6" yellow DL
Snorkel, SCUBA MOD
Sound System

PRFCT Z
'00 CAMARO Z/28
PXR Brilliant Black Pearl Coat | Custom Interior| 19" CCW 505a's, MS4, 3.73's, VIG3200, BMR SUSPENSION & NX

ALPHA Z
'81 CAMARO Z/28 - LT1/T56 w/4th gen int

Last edited by PERFECT Z28; 01-06-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added pic
#10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
KPK

I have used Herculiner on a Tacoma All Pro plate bumper. You paint it on with a brush or roller and it can be touched up very easily. Very durable stuff and easy to use. I wasnt about to pay the $400.00 that Line-X quoted which was half what the bumper cost itself. One can cost me around $80.00 and I still have half left after two coats on the plate bumper.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.