Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

WeatherTech Vent Visors

27K views 69 replies 42 participants last post by  bcheng4jc 
#1 ·
Got around to installing my WeatherTech Vent Visors on the ride today after they sat in my shed for the better part of two weeks.

I'm 100% satisfied with the WeatherTech product.

They installed in less than 2 minutes. No adhesive, the fit is perfect so that all you do is set the front edge into the front channel, bow the visor to slip the rear edge in the rear channel, and chase the top edge up into the upper channel. Basically, they have nowhere to go because the fit is exact.

Straight & true.

Wind noise is virtually non-existent.

Thanks to fellow forum member RHoppe for recommending these vent visors to me. I'll second that recommendation.

#4 ·
Does your window seat properly when rolled up, or does it cause the glass to move off line due to the plastic in the window channel? I've had this type (But not this brand) in the past, and after awhile the window would rattle if I had the window partially down. After that I went to the stick on kind. I'm looking to get some for both of my toy's, but not too sure which to get. It may be too soon to see if weather Tech has the same issues, but any feedback would be great, thanx, Tim:)

#5 ·
Only time will tell if a rattle develops.

The window definitely seats all the way up without any noticeable increased effort on the electric motors. How much it moves offline really can't be measured, but I'm sure there's some amount. The in-channel tabs are maybe 1/16" thick, so hopefully the tolerances of window deflection are within spec. The glass seems to seat just fine with no visible gap on the bottom "wiper edge" seal or any other sealing surfaces.

Was it an FJ that developed the rattle?

#13 ·
My FJ came with vent visors on it when I bought it used. I'll have to check them out to see what brand they are and how they are attached. (I think they are stuck on with adhesive.)

Either way, they work great with no noise or issues of any kind. I had them on my 2001 Dodge Ram and they were great on that vehicle too. I highly recommend them! :bigthumb:

#15 ·
Had mine on for a little over 2 years now with no issues.

The glass does move slightly as it contacts the visors the last half inch or so, but it hasn't turned into any problems for me yet.

Not sure how often most people roll their windows up/down, but for reference (if it matters), mine get rolled down and back up a minimum of 8 times per day.

#17 ·
My WeatherTechs were one of the first things I put on my FJ as I had window visors on my previous car. But I can't say I am super happy with my WTs. I have had them fall out in my hand numerous times. I don't feel they seat very well at all. I wanted the in channels to avoid an adhesive, but in hindsight, I would get something that sticks. Once you have them, you are never going to get rid of them anyway...

#18 ·
Yes, the ones that I have on my rig are stuck on with adhesive. I looked at them pretty closely, but could not find any kind of label or markings on them.

They are very solid and I have no issues with wind noise at all.

#20 · (Edited)
I suggest putting tape around the black vinyl trim around the door. The first one I put on scratched this trim. I tried black touch-up to repair and light sand but only made it worst. Put tape on the other side and got the visor installed with no problem.

I like them... The weathertech stickers were removed. I have been leaving my windows open by at least a inch.

I also removed all the vinyl with a heat-gun...

#23 ·
Mine came today ...Arrived in a big corrugated box protected PERFECTLY .
Install was easy as pie , just snap in . Windows work as they should .

A Perfect Must Have !!! I'm going to get a set for our new Legacy !

Today its pouring here in RI and its awesome having the windows open .

Enjoying my FJ

#31 ·
Very good feed back guys, I also would like to mount them on mine but I'm living in the UAE and I still need to find a place to buy them.

Now once I find them I'll post pictures with details on brands for you to guide me on which one would be best to buy according to your experience.

I'm not sure of the brand I can get over here.

So to my thread posted yesterday pro/con it is definitly a pro...

#32 ·
I got my Weathertech Vent visors a couple weeks ago.
I actually sent the driver side one back due to it seemed to not fit properly. I received the replacement, and it is the exact same.
They seem to be a bit short, on the drive side verticle.
When I close my window, the top (Horizontal) part flexes about 1/4 inch.
It seems to me, that the verticle part, should be a bit longer, and push up a bit more.
I contacted WeatherTech, and they said contact for a replacement where I got it. I got it from the Weathertech Amazon store. Kind of a run around, but Amazon overnighted the replacement to me..

I do like them! No tape/Glue, fast easy install. Its just a bit odd on the flexing.
Is anyone else having this issue?

#36 · (Edited)
Bought a set of the Weather Techs last week for $74.95/shipped based on this thread. Took about 30 seconds to install each side. I'm pretty happy so far. Great fit and they didn't seem to add any noise (I already have a noisy roof rack so it is hard to tell). You get about a half reduction on the wind buffeting at the most, which is what I expected and I don't think they look cheesy like some visors on other cars. So, I say "good mod".

9/3/12 Edit and Update:

I have now had the Weather Tech vent visors for over a month and really got to put them to the test during a long road trip. To my disappointment, the driver's side visor fell off while I was driving with the window all the way down. I had my arm hanging out the window and my arm stopped the visor from hitting the ground while going ~65 mph. Not cool and the shock of it hitting my arm caused me to swerve pretty big. Luckily it was a desolate stretch of road with no cars.

I tossed the visor in the back and drove about 700 miles home without it. One thing I did notice is that the FJ was much quieter without the visor. Funny thing is that I couldn't notice an increase in noise when I installed them, but after it fell off, I could definitely tell.

So after writing a good initial review, I am writing a warning. I fit the visor back in and it now feels loose. I put a small piece of double-sided tape in the corner of the visor and it now feels snug again.

I'll send an email to Weather Tech about this issue. It seems like all they need to do is supply a small piece of double-sided tape for the corner of the visor.

So, if you have these and are the kind of guy that drives with the windows down at highway speeds, beware! Get the double tape now!

#37 ·
Bought a set of the Weather Techs last week for $74.95/shipped based on this thread. Took about 30 seconds to install each side. I'm pretty happy so far. Great fit and they didn't seem to add any noise (I already have a noisy roof rack so it is hard to tell). You get about a half reduction on the wind buffeting at the most, which is what I expected and I don't think they look cheesy like some visors on other cars. So, I say "good mod".
I would have to concur. Exactly what I did with the same results

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.