Rear Cargo Drawer Build - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear Cargo Drawer Build

Another member wanted a materials list and measurements, so here we go...

Materials List

2 4x8 Maple Plywood sheets (Lowes)
2 pairs 24" Fulterer 200lb# drawers slides
2 Battalion paddle latches
1 4-pack of Stanley 2" x 1/2" mending braces. (I double stacked these pieces of metal and used them as catches for each paddle latch.)
2 Stanley 7 1/2" turnbuckles
2 Stanley 2 1/2" eye bolts (for rear turnbuckle anchors)
2 quarts of Rustoleum flat black enamel
Diamond plated rubber matting. (I sourced this at a local shop, Industrial Metal Supply.)

Here is the original plans I drew up in SketchUp. I didn't add the sliding trays to keep it simple.

I glued and screwed all the pieces using 1 1/2" drywall screws and Elmers Probond wood glue. All screws were counter sunk then patched with Elmers Probond wood filler. I also used the wood filler to patch any voids in the wood, etc. All exposed edges are routed with a 3/8" roundover bit.

I test fitted the box in the FJ. The box is anchored using the existing tie-down holes in the front. The rear of the box is anchored using an eye bolt and small turnbuckle hooked to the tie-down d-rings.

After I built the box, I used it for exact measurements for the drawers instead of using the above plans. The real world dictates things don't always line up on paper.

The entire box and drawers are painted first with Killz primer and then Rustoleum flat black enamel. 2-3 coats on everything. If I did this again I would probably try a bedliner coating.

I switched out the above existing factory tie down with an shouldered eyebolt (M6x1.00).

I'm happy with the way they turned out. Also, since the drawers block the power outlet I got one of these to extend the outlet.

Amazon.com: 360-DEGREE ROTATING FLAT PLUG LIBERATOR, 18IN: Home Improvement
ETHANEXPLOSION and Kraemer like this.

My Photos - My Build - K6DNX

Last edited by Dennx; 08-06-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Rear Cargo Drawers

This looks really great! I wanted to build a low profile cargo box and your design has inspired me. =) Thanks for the great write up.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just what I need. Very nice!

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage

Wow!!!

That looks great!! Wish I had the skills / tools to do that!!

What would one charge to build that for someone? (HINT HINT HINT)
#5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Also, since the drawers block the power outlet I got one of these to extend the outlet.

http://www.amazon.com/360-DEGREE-ROTATING-FLAT-PLUG-LIBERATOR/dp/B003NYRAYE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_6

#6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Forum Veteran

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

That looks solidly built!! I've only slightly considered building one of these, but I think this one would be the route I would go!
#7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 227 Post(s)

I really don't know what it is about those drawers that I like so much. There's really nothing special about them, other than outstanding craftsmanship. I guess that's probably it... the simplicity of it. Like I said before, "it looks like it grew there." The diamond-pattern mat really sets it off in both aesthetics and functionality; the slides are heavy and the latches are a perfect choice; the Allen-Head fasteners are a nice touch. All edges are "bevelled" (routed?), or sanded smooth, very nice job on that. Everything is symmetrical. The black paint looks thick and durable.
Very nice write-up, complete with parts list and prints, vendors and links... very, very nice. Thank you.

....PSYCHO BILLY....

Lugnut's old build:
"pSYCHO bILLY cADILLAC"

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-cadillac.html
Quote:
SunfuzFj previously said: View Post
please dont call me a nut, or say that something makes me look like a nut, that is not courteous behavior
Quote:
7amody previously said: View Post
you are wrong man,...

DEGUELLO
#8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Thanks everyone. Once in a while I like to build stuff and having the FJ is a perfect opportunity to do so. It has got me back into the garage and I'm enjoying every bit of it.

Tstormin, sorry these are one of a kind special edition limited series of 001.
Psycho Billy, yes all edges are routed with a 3/8" round over bit.

Last edited by Dennx; 08-01-2012 at 05:49 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage

how much to ship yours to me??? nice job!

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
#10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Subscribed

Any interference with your rear door MPAC Rack?

08 Sandstorm, CQ, OF, C7, CF, All Wthr Mats, TG Sliders, Extra Horn, Tundra Handles, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Springtail M-PAC HD Side Rack, Basket and Backdoor Rack, S A Fuse Block, IPF 968, LED's under hood, extra 12v outlets, FJTOYMAN's rear shock skids, Scuba Mod, IronMan Front Coils/ToyTec Rear Coils, Bilsteins, ToyTec Swaybar Relo Kit, IMP Shift & Tcase knobs, BudBuilt Skids, Demello/EXp1 Bumpers, 10lb Powertank, Viper Max 12k Winch with Amsteel Synth Line, BajaRack, Hella Marine Flood Lights on rack, Fourtreks Hi-Lift and tool mounts Dennx Design Rear Storage Box, SPC LR UCAs, Bandi Body Lift & BMC
TLCA #19565
GCLC #2128
http://www.fjnortheasters.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.