Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Drivers glovebox removal??

10K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  donsiye 
#1 ·
The drivers glovebox looks like a good spot for a 12V plug, and I wonder how much room there is behind it. But I'm having a rough time getting it out.
I did not find any info on a search, so how does one get the drivers glovebox out.?
I removed the 2 visible screws and tried to pull it out, but I don't want to break it and there's very little to get a grip on.
Any Ideas?
Thanks.

#2 ·
I was gonna post up this same question as soon as I had the time...Need to remove it so I can mount my gps next to the instrument cluster and run the wires under the glove box to the fuse panel down below...I know this glove box has two screws holding it in, but I know there have to also be clips of some sort as well....

#3 ·
I took it out recently. There is quite a bit of room around it.

Here's how I got it out. Remove the screws in front. Now the only thing holding it in is clips in back and molded brackets in front. I pulled on it for quite awhile and it woudn't come out. The only way I can describe it is to say grab the hinges inside the glove box and snatch it out by snapping it up and slightly forward. I know this is a crappy description, but its the only way I can describe it. If feels like something is going to break if you just pull on it, so a quick jerk seems better and works.

#4 ·
Open the lid, remove the screws, then pull it up from the back (windshield side). It is held in with clips in the back and tabs in the front. Dont pull it up from the front or it will break the tabs. It may give you some resistance, but if you grab the lid at the base (hinge) and pull up with continuious pressure, it will come out.

#5 ·
Ok..So from the back I pull it up at an angle (towards the windshield)...Or I pull it straight up (towards the roof)??? Just want to make sure before I break the dang thing...Thanks for the fast response..

#6 ·
I found its easiest to get out by removing the 2 screws. Then remove the silver trim piece that the air vent is in on the left side. You simply pull it straight out no screws or anything holding it but clips. This will give you access to the underside of the box which you can reach in underneath and push up on while pilling from the back (closest to the windshield) side of the box. Mine pops right out each time. I was never able to get mine out when pulling up from the top only without fear of breaking it. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
Somewhere there is a great thread on this (if only I would go look up how to post links I would shove it here). I'll do a little plagerism... Essentially, unscrew the two screws, open the glove box all the way, grab on each side of the lid at the base, yank, yank some more, yank harder, yank again... Presto. You want to pull up and slightly out towards the driver, it will come out. In terms of mounting a socket, I installed one in the right sidewall of the box w/ the back of the plug going towards the center stack. I did have to trim some plastic from the dash to enable the box w/ the plug to fit in. I guess I will try and find the picture instructions and post my pics finally. I also drilled some 3/8" holes on the side of the box closest the driver. This was recommendedd by someone else to dissipate heat that otherwise gets trapped in the box and fry's whatever electronics are in there. I have a gps receiver that works w/ my treo 650 & a toll speed pass in the box that I don't want to fry.

#8 ·
One caution: make sure you have a cap or plug that can fill or cover the outlet when not in use. It doesn't take much for something conductive to find its way in there. If it does, it will stress test your fuse or harness if you opted not to add a fuse.

#11 ·
Thanks Guys for all the responses.
This is what I really like about this forum - everyone is willing to lend a hand.
How great is that!!!

Happy trails

#12 ·
I was having trouble removing the glove box too, until I took out the center panel and the radio and then all it took was to reach in and push up the box. It took a little force to dislodge it, but as long as you push up from side nearest the windshield it will pop-out.
I'm all thumbs when it comes things like this, but this was too easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.