Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Conceal vs Relocate Washer Fluid Reservoir?

24K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Arizona FJ Dave 
#1 ·
I used these nicely shot photos from another member's thread; m3pedro, I hope you don't mind. They gave me an idea, and I wanted feedback from others.

For me, the problem with relocating the washer fluid reservoir is that I have a 2013 FJ. The Expedition One reservoir would not work for me, because the newer FJs have emissions stuff located there. It has been suggested to move that (emissions items) to near the passenger side firewall first, but I intend on placing a 2nd battery there.

Has anyone considered enclosing the front side of the fluid reservoir with sheet metal armor fabricated to fit in front of the reservoir instead of relocating it?

Those three visible studs the bumper mounts to could be used as one of the attachment points.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There are many options for this. Relocating the washer fluid container is pretty simple as any container, with or without pump can work, Several have found good candidates at the junk yard, removing them from different vehicles.

I'd pick the spot and start looking for a different tank.

#5 ·
it has proven to be a vulnerable spot if you wheel...
even if you don`t, a cover might suit you if it is made well and sturdy, otherwise IMHO it would be bulky and just as fugly...

just try not to do it to cheap to the point that it is a flimsy POS, this is something you rely on and use often...

#7 ·
I've probably read all of them. Imagine my second battery by the passenger firewall. Imagine a 2013 FJ with emissions crap where the Expedition One alternative would go. Imagine custom fabricated steel armor protecting the oem location. Catch my drift?

I know what others have done. Thinking outside the box, pun intended.

I think the best solution is simply to have a single higher capacity battery instead of using two, them just doing as others have with the relocation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
I just painted mine. I've done some heavy rock crawling and sand dune crashing with no damage. IMO, it's not that exposed to worry too much.

#11 ·
Okay, so this is how the passenger side engine compartment looks like up front on a 2013 FJC.

I'm not sure if this is emissions or CRAWL control related.

In any case, the Expedition One Reservoir cannot go there.

#12 ·
I believe it is emissions, definitely not Crawl control ( I have that thingy and don't have Crawl).

#15 ·
Yep, thanks. Read that one too. I even spoke with Jason Demello a few days ago, but as of yet, no easy solution. I believe Toyota's reservoir location choice was as a counter-balance to the battery, and also to keep the C.O.G. low. I like the idea of customizing armor to at least protect against flying debris. I haven't seen anyone actually relocate that emissions stuff yet, but this all should be quite interesting.

#16 ·
G'day,
I've been pondering relocation of the water bottle for other reasons, but eventually decided not to pursue it. After buying various bottles, including an exp 1 bottle ...
As I do not really use the water bottle, never wash my screen with it.... Replacing it with a much smaller bottle was my best solution.
But in the end changed direction..
Cheers Baz

#18 ·
G'day Doc,
Some more brain fodder..
The best place I came up with to relocate is in the bumper...
There is plenty of room inside the stock bumper, for a exp 1 bottle...
Or if you are running an after market bumper... Then a much smaller bottle should be able to fit..
Cheers
Baz

#19 ·
#21 · (Edited)
I was speaking with the guys ARB USA a few months back - talked about this specific issue. They do make a metal shield for the washer reservoir. It's an optional add on for their bumper. Sorry can't recall specific part number

EDIT: found the info on the ARB Part in my email
"yes there is an auxiliary kit for the washer bottle protection(part# 3520020) that was designed to take care of the lower bottle. You will see it in the instructions as well."

#24 ·
Sorry Doc,
I was posting the above with only one eye open last night. I think if you take a look at Lzalusky's dual battery and washer bottle relocate projects you will find an elegant solution. It would relocate the washer bottle and provide space for a dual battery set up. You don't have to use the dual battery set up if you don't need that, or you can add it later.
This is a much better solution than a mini bash plate for your OEM washer bottle. I've watched your build and noticed you mod your vehicle in a careful, well thought manner. The products Lzalusky designed are right on par with your build style. Take a look at his build. :smile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.