FJ Sleeper System - New Project - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb FJ Sleeper System - New Project

Alright guys, this is my first DIY project for my beloved FJ. Introducing..

Problem - I'm tall (6' 1" - 6' 2") and I want to be able to sleep COMFORTABLY in my FJ on camping/exploration trips. The floor in the FJ does not go completely flat as there is a bump right where the rear seats meet the floor in the cargo area.

Known solutions - Plywood, stacking blankets, etc. None of which really do it for me or allow me the full use of the length of the FJ.

Now, I'm a touring musician and instead of paying ungodly amounts of money for ATA flight certified hard cases for our gear (we were in a van, not a plane), my bandmates and I made our own. In doing this, I learned quite a bit about the polyethylene foam industry, especially buying thick, sturdy, foam in large quantities. Along the path I got pretty darn good with a hot knife (tool for cutting foam, etc.) With that said ..

My solution - I'm going to fabricate a modular, two or three piece polyethylene foam insert that will not just provide a flat, level, comfortable sleeping surface in the back of the FJ, but with the rear seat cushions removed and front seats moved forward, will add an additional 1 - 1.5' of headroom for us taller people, effectively creating a comfortable sleeping space for two adults of the 6' 2" or shorter persuasion or one adult of a larger size.

It will be two or three pieces, which are waterproof (the nature of this foam takes care of that), further padded, and covered in a zip-up, washable, jersey knit (think pima cotton t-shirt material) cover (available in matching colors for our respective FJs). Each piece will secure to the truck with the factory tie down points and will connect with each other module of the system with velcro. When not in use, they will stack and interlock forming a faux floor in the cargo area while allowing the full use of the rear seats. Granted, it will reduce some of the cargo capacity in the trunk area, but that's why we have roof racks and back seats =)

I'm picking up an order of foam from my distributer this weekend to begin working on the prototype. I'll put up design mockups I did in illustrator tomorrow when I get home.

Now, I'm posting this mainly for the purpose of getting feedback on design before I get to cutting this foam. What would you guys want? Integrated head rest/pillow? Access to the rear compartments and electrical outlets are a given, etc.

I'm going to build mine, put up photos and a real world test report (my girlfriend who hates camping because of sleeping on the ground or on an uncomfortable air mattress has agreed to test it with me and give an honest impression), and if enough people are interested, I'll put together a few demo units at cost to send out. Should those be met with good feedback, I'll begin selling them.

So, thoughts? Thanks!

THE VEHICLE: 2007 Titanium Metallic FJ Cruiser - AT 4x4 aka BRUISER
SUSPENSION: OME/ToyTec 3" - N140S Front Shocks, 885 Medium Front Coils, N71E Rear Shocks, ToyTec Custom Rear Coils
TIRES: BFG M/T KM2285/70/17 on Stock Alloys
EQUIPMENT: (4) PIAA Lights - Roof Racked, OEM Sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Forum Veteran

Re: FJ Sleeper System - New Project

I'm interested! Keep me posted and good luck. It sounds promising.

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If it's in English, thank a soldier.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

how do you sleep comfortably in the FJ?

some background info here.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Forum Veteran

sounds like a plan. I'd be willing to try your design out.

My Ride
Titanium 4x4, OEM Rails and Rack
stock steelies
33 Mickey Thompson MTZs
Light Racing Front Coils
OME Coils and Shocks
All Pro Pro Links
ARB air Locker
All phase Skid plate
Matching Tint
aFe CAI
Wet OKole seat covers

A warm beer is better then no beer at all.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:59 AM

I think you should take it a step further and go with memory foam.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to smalls

Sounds great! I am definitely following this thread!

- '07 Voodoo Blue, 6speed MT | Upgrade 2 | A-TRAC | RR Locker | Roof Rack

- Mods To Date: 275/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's | OME Medium Suspension | Sirius S50 | Silverstar Headlights | DRL's disabled | Flowmaster Series 40 | K&N drop-in air filter | Seat belt Alarm disabled | Satin Black OEM Alloys
- Next: Bumper | ARB Rack | Lights | etc.

-Upstate Cruisers-
-Olde North State Cruisers-
#7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
chrsmall previously said: View Post
Sounds great! I am definitely following this thread!
same here! always nice to find a place to catch some

- Chris
TLCA # 16780

2007 FJ: Voodoo Blue, AT w/ CQ UR2, FJ Roof Rack, Factory rails, hitch, skid plate,TRD intake + exhaust, ScanGaugeII
885/895 OME Lift, OEM black steelies

Smokey Mountain Cruisers
#8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CheFJ previously said: View Post
how do you sleep comfortably in the FJ?

some background info here.
Yes, I've been through every thread I can find on sleeping in the FJ. I've tried to take every bit of experience from other people on the board for ideas.

Quote:
jwh86 previously said: View Post
sounds like a plan. I'd be willing to try your design out.
I've taken down your username and I'll PM you when I have more info for you on a demo unit I'll probably ship out five demo units at strict cost for the purpose of testing.

Quote:
p nut previously said: View Post
I think you should take it a step further and go with memory foam.
I'm actually looking into that as an option. I'd make the "core system" with just the leveling inserts, basic padding, and color-matched cover available with an option to add the "comfort padding" which would be an additional layer of either memory foam, pillow top, or egg-crate style foam. The only reason I don't plan to make that part of the basic system is the cost. That stuff is expensive! Also, there are plenty of people perfectly happy with a sleeping bag on top of the level surface.

Personally, I'm going to do a layer of foam-rubber (the basic padding) topped with a basic pillow top and a set of FJ sized sheets I'm THAT kind of camper.

SUSPENSION: OME/ToyTec 3" - N140S Front Shocks, 885 Medium Front Coils, N71E Rear Shocks, ToyTec Custom Rear Coils
#9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Forum Master

If you could also keep me informed of your progress, that would be great. Being able to sleep in it and be comfortable, and be dry would be awesome.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
other1 previously said: View Post
If you could also keep me informed of your progress, that would be great. Being able to sleep in it and be comfortable, and be dry would be awesome.
That's the idea. If the project gains traction with the community I may consider another idea I had that would allow you to open the windows a certain amount for ventilation but keep the bugs out, a sort of detachable screen.

The FJ is a comfortably capable vehicle. With the right driver and upgrades, it really can go almost anywhere. The idea of the FJ Sleeper is to allow you to STAY there in the same level of comfort you got there in.

Also, it'll give us guys a little more "padding" when the girlfriends/wives get tired of our obsession and kick us out for the night

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.