Roof Rack Air Dam - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Roof Rack Air Dam

Has anyone made an airdam themselves on this forum? Search turned up roof rack noise and different aftermarket parts but since Glenarch hooked me up with a custom rack I feel that these aftermarket parts may not deflect enough wind. This thing howls at 60 on the interstate and I can tell its the wind between the roof of the FJ and the bottom bars of the rack. My first thought is the galvanized steel that builders use in duct work in houses. I could bend it and attach with wire or tie straps to the tubing. I drive a lot of interstate so quieting the noise will be my next priority. Other than that I am extremely happy with the look of an FJ with a ARB style rack on it. Having gone rack-less for more than 7 years I welcome the change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	172554  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Roof Rack Air Dam

I think I just found the post I needed. The gentleman doing the fiberglass airdam for advertising gave me some clues on how to proceed. I'm a little torn on what product to use but I will have to mock up the shape using cardboard and then transfer to either aluminum or duct tin. Either way I'm painting it flat black so the metal shouldn't matter. I wonder which would be easirt to bend and work with for the best looking out come? More to come on this for sure.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

I could see duct tin just flapping on the freeway. Nowhere near rigid enough. Would need a whole network of aluminum frame for example.

I think the best option may be some premade Thule or Yakima fairing attached from the lower bar of the rack to the roof...see if it helps.

EDIT: how wide is the rack? For example here is one for $30: http://www.discountramps.com/black-w...nd-fairing.htm

-Adam '07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
Bilstein 5100s | Superflex springs | ProComp ES9000 | LR UCAs | LT285/75r16 Terra Grapplers - Offroad wheels | Westin 55W 6" lights
TG Sliders | Ricochet Armor | Rocktek Link Armor | UltraGauge | Husky Liners | Midlands 75-822 - 3' Firestik - Boztec mount
Ellis Precision | Discovery Overhead Console. w/ GPS | Lots of Fluid Film underneath | Scuba Mod | Dent(s)

Last edited by iwashmycar; 02-20-2014 at 10:49 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I think its 44" or so. I'd have to measure to be sure. That looks like a good site to hunt around on so I will start there. I was thinking with the duct that I could double it up if needed for added structure, it would attach to the upper and lower pipe and then drape down to between 1/4 to 1/2" above roof of FJ. The stuff is dirt cheap so I may just give it a shot to see if I can do it. I will definitely keep my eye out for aftermarket options.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Glenarch
Lifetime Supporting Member

Looks awesome have you thought about 1/4" smoked Plexiglas, you can have a glass shop cut it to size then you can contour the bottom to match the roof line with a jigsaw.

2011 Silver Fresco Metallic AT 4x4
M-PAC MPX Panels, M-PAC Molle rifle and AR scabbard, M-PAC Backpack hooks, M-PAC Molle first aid bag.
RAM Tablet Mount & ACC Sockets. Airlift airbags, Viair 2.5 Gal. tank & 380C Compressor
ARB Roof Rack Fit kit & Custom Rack and side ladder system, LED Rack Lights
Tekonsha P3 brake controller & 7 pin connector, Cobra 75WX ST Radio & Fire Stick Antenna, Rear Hitch Step
And the most important part ZORT Stickers
#6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Maybe a 40" dual row LED bar would make a good fairing :

TLCA #22985
Bilstein 5100s | Superflex springs | ProComp ES9000 | LR UCAs | LT285/75r16 Terra Grapplers - Offroad wheels | Westin 55W 6" lights
TG Sliders | Ricochet Armor | Rocktek Link Armor | UltraGauge | Husky Liners | Midlands 75-822 - 3' Firestik - Boztec mount
Ellis Precision | Discovery Overhead Console. w/ GPS | Lots of Fluid Film underneath | Scuba Mod | Dent(s)
#7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Not a bad idea on the plexiglass. Heat gun would allow me to contour it to the rounded corners for a tight fit. I may just end up doing something like that and then zip tying it around the bars to avoid drilling into the rack.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'm about to have my machinist build me one and was just about to post a similar thread. I have a stock rack and found a piece of. 3/8" aluminum that should be big enough. I think the stock rack is about 48" at the widest point and tapers to 44" at the top, it's also about 8" inches wide. I'm also trying to figure out if I want to incorporate some type of cutout for lights? I'm subscribing here, but will also post my build once I get it started.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Stock rack is cake. You may be better off just getting a Ricochet one depending what the machinist is charging. Comes cut for lights and powdercoated if you wish
FJ Air Dams & Rock Light Mounts

TLCA #22985
#10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
iwashmycar previously said: View Post
Stock rack is cake. You may be better off just getting a Ricochet one depending what the machinist is charging. Comes cut for lights and powdercoated if you wish
FJ Air Dams & Rock Light Mounts
Haha It's Free including the materials so I can't beat the price. He's a friend of mine and works in the shop at my work. We also have a lot scrap material at work and he found a perfect piece for me. looked at the Ricochet's but I actually want a light bar an not round lights so I'm trying to see if I can incorporate it somehow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.