Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Snorkel removal

23K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  RaeLowry 
#1 ·
Hey- I purchased a 2011 FJ that has a Snorkel kit installed. I am not crazy about having it on there. Is there some accessory to put in the hole on the fender if I remove it or do I just need to purchase a new fender? Obviously I am a girl :)

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome!
There is not a kit that I know of. That is kind of a permanent mod.
You should just live with it. It brings nice clean cold air to your engine. I read an article that stats it helps with MPG as well. Might not be much but every little bit helps.
It is quite a few little holes in your fender as well. You would have to replace that. It probably has a couple holes drilled into your A Post as well.

#3 ·
I don't know of any accessories for the hole. You'll probably have to buy a whole new fender and A pillar and have it painted and installed. You might be able to offset the cost a bit by selling your snorkel,fender, and A pillar trim in the Forum Classifieds too.

#4 ·
I don't think there is anything you can use to fill the vacancy left by snorkel. I would just live with it before I'd go to the trouble to have it removed and fender replaced.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig!!

#5 ·
Don't know of any kit available to cover the holes left over from the snorkel removal.

#7 ·
Maybe someone who wants a snorkel and has the same colour FJ as you would trade fenders and A-pillar. That way you are not spending money on paint, etc. and they are getting the fender and A-pillar with the holes already added.

What colour is your FJ?

Reactions: Geronimo
#11 ·
I'd trade you your parts for my parts, but I guess it would be a bit of a drive....

Reactions: RaeLowry
#21 · (Edited)
I also do much of my wheeling with my Samurai on 38's with exo cage. But I also wheel my Cruiser. If a snorkel makes me look like a poser, so be it. :D

You probably wouldn't want my fender anyways. The passenger fender and A pillar both have dents as well as our famous west coast pin striping.

But I would be willing to purchase your snorkel parts.

#20 ·
then I would still have holes in the A Pillar to deal with?
What do the holes in the A Pillar look like? Maybe slice the snorkel from the piece that installs in the A Pillar and leave it there or grind it down.

Bondo? Put a sticker over the opening? Grommets in the screw holes.

Or just leave it. I guess it depends on how much time and money you want to put into it and what your tolerance is for having it look perfect.

I have hail damage on mine and it does not bother me to the point where I want to spend the money to get it fixed. While others it would bother the hell out of.

I once had an OCD neighbor who offered to wash my truck.

#16 ·
I totally agree with what others have said. There is surely someone on these forums that would love to trade their fender and A-pillar to you for the snorkle, A-pillar, and cut fender.

Then you will only need to put them on!

#19 ·
Nice FJ! I'm not a fan of snorkels either. They do suck the cleanest air, but the humongous elephant trunk hanging off the side of the truck is just too much extra bulk for me. If they allowed me to go deeper in the water, I might be a fan. Since it does nothing to improve fording water like on some trucks , I'm out!

Good luck finding a trade! :cheers:

Reactions: FJess
#28 ·
Nice FJ! I'm not a fan of snorkels either. They do suck the cleanest air, but the humongous elephant trunk hanging off the side of the truck is just too much extra bulk for me. If they allowed me to go deeper in the water, I might be a fan. Since it does nothing to improve fording water like on some trucks , I'm out!
+1

Never liked them for the same reasons. Also don't know why guys put them on and don't even seal/relocate the diff/tranny breathers -- spoke to 2 guys who were sellings rigs w/snorkels who didn't do that.

If so, why even bother w/the snorkel; can't go in H20 any higher than those breathers.

#22 ·
Nice looking FJ, not a poser, you would be surprised how well they wheel setting just like yours. Not like a bouncer but you it has heat and AC.

I'm sure a good body shop could get creative with the holes in the body such as a louvre over the snorkel hole and fill the others

Your post is one of the few new owners that want to de mod

Welcome to the madness

#24 ·
G'day and welcome from Down Under.
The only other option I can think of is to wrap it, same colour as your rig, then at least it will blend in and disappear to a degree.
but I would wait before removing it, you might change your mind and begin to like it.

To give you an idea what it might look like, this is my snorkel - different make, but you get the idea

[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers
Baz

#32 ·
A snorkel isn't all about water crossings. To me, it's more about the clean, cool air.

Oh, and my other breathers are relocated. I also haven't been to the mall in years. Walmart once in a while, but usually it's the parts store beer store and the grocery store. Not necessarily in that order.

#33 ·
A snorkel isn't all about water crossings. To me, it's more about the clean, cool air. Oh, and my other breathers are relocated.
Isn't getting "clean, cool air" to the engine what the CAI is all about?

If that's all you want, then there really isn't any need for a snorkel, but I'm glad to hear that you're apparently one of the few to actually relocate the breathers. For those who haven't done this, the snorkel is just "bling" . . . and IMHO pretty unsightly bling at that.

#34 · (Edited)
I drive on a lot of wilderness roads. They are very dusty.
A CAI would just suck in all the dust.
A snorkel helps in raising the intake to a height where the dust may not be as bad. Plus, air temps will be much cooler at height, than inches above the black asphalt.

Oh, and I've done far more than just relocate my breathers for water crossings. I've gained 2.5" just with rubber. I actually try to avoid water as much as I can. Water sux.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.