Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Anyone ever change the steering wheel?

14K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  NVMako 
#1 ·
I bought a used 2008 and it has wear marks on the steering wheel. I would like to replace the wheel cause I have not seen a wrap job that looks good with those wheel skins.

I have no controls on the wheel so it should be a little easier. But I can't find a stock or aftermarket steering wheel to buy. Anyone got ideas? And how hard is it to change? Is that a dealership only type job?

#4 · (Edited)
Deleted.

#5 ·
I swapped mine out for a new leather wrapped one with audio controls. Easy with a steering wheel puller (got mine for ~$15 from AutoZone), but needed to get an alignment after to adjust it to be straight. However, it is not a cheap job since you also have to replace the airbag. Part numbers and approx cost:
WHEEL ASSY, STEERING 4510035470B0 $655
BUTTON ASSY, HORN 4513035451B0 $542
ORNAMENT, STEERING WHEEL, NO.1 4511635010 $17
SWITCH, STEERING PAD, LH 8424735030 $79

#6 ·
Hey Fairbro would you say that if you had taken the stereo control side and the right side silver plastic of the leather wheel, would you then be able to use the horn/airbag assembly from the original wheel? It looks to me like that might work. I just want the wheel and not the controls.

#7 ·
Yes, I think that would work :bigthumb:

#8 ·
Ive looked for YEARS for a reasonably priced option and getting your stock steering wheel wrapped is going to cost close to $300 no matter where you go. Also finding a used FJ steering wheel in good condition is close to IMPOSSIBLE.

I recently found a leather steering wheel off of a wrecked FJ and swapped them out. You can reuse your current airbag with the "wings" on any FJ steering wheel. Or you have the option of adding the stereo controls and slighting modifying the air bag cover to make it fit.

If you're interested in a spare FJ steering wheel let me know.

-B

#9 ·
Thanks Blown 383 for letting me know about the wheel. It is no easy task to find an FJ steering wheel. I got incredibly lucky and found a used leather one at an on-line auto recycler. It is on it's way to me from Oklahoma now. From the looks of pictures they sent me it has the controls on it. Good to know I just take them off and install my original airbag piece.

Since I intend to keep this truck forever, I am going to keep my original wheel. Thinking I may send it for a re-wrap at some point in the future. Which solves the problem I started with of....How do I get a re-wrap if this is my daily driver and I need a wheel on it at all times?

You should post yours for sale here, if you have not already. Someone else like me may be looking for one to have wrapped without having to take their original off too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.