Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

PIAA 520s hooked up with OEM aux switch & harnesses

50K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  sandFJ90210 
#1 ·
I know there have been quite a few threads on hooking up aux lights but I never found a difinitive one using OEM wireing.

I paid $195 (inc shipping) on ebay for the 520 FJ kit (part # is PIAA 5298) but subsequently decided I didn't like their wiring and I wanted to keep the wiring as stock as possible.

Using the lights by themselves not an issue, just on with the highbeams is good for me.

I then purchased the following from Matt @ TRDsource.com, he is considering selling these items as a package, if anyone has interest.

(1) Fog Light Switch PN: PT297-35070-SW
(1) Switch Harnes PN: PT297-35070-SH
(1) Lamp Harness PN: PT297-35070-LH
(1) AUX relay PN: PT297-89016
(1) 15 amp fuse
(2) t-taps

The switch was $40 ish, the harnesses & relay $70 ish.

I followed the install instructions attached below, but here is the photo step by step where I differed:-

First I replaced the OEM lamp connectors with the PIAA connectors.
I hacked off the lamp ends from the lamp harness with an exacto knife leaving the crimps and the grey thingy on each end. (no pix - but here's the firewall end)

It's a little tight trying to get the PIAA connectors off, the small flat screwdriver on a leatherman worked perfectly, pull hard too!

I yanked the existing PIAA wires out of the crimps then dovetailed both sets of crimps (I left the OEM ones on), soldered for good measure, and pulled up the aforementioned grey thingy.

Insert into connector with the green wire going into the flat side, the white w/black stripe wire on the side with the ridge. (discovered by trial & error - I popped a fuse when I originally wired the other way around)

Voila!

Everything else was done by the book (instructions), here are a few helpful pix

take all these bits off

stripped down

back of switch panel

T-Taps on

busniess end of switch harness connected (white connector, middle of pic with ground wire hanging out.

Ground wire (the 3 white w/black stripe wires lower left) was a real PITA, eventually I put electrical tape over the screw head and jammed it into the socket to ensure I wouldn't drop it.

I put my switch in position 6, just felt tider there.

For front end drilling and completed pix (I lost mine!) see these threads.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...7861-piaa-headlights-installed-tons-pics.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/24041-piaa-installed-bumper.html

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice, which wires green and green/white are attached to which corresponding wire on the harness purple or grey. One is switch backlight, the other is ground.

Thanks

#4 ·
Hesitated myself at this question

there was nothing mentioned in the instructions so I trial and errored it again, connected purple to green wire t-tap and grey to white/green wire t-tap

Sorry it's not a very sceintific answer but everything worked so I went with it.

#6 ·
Forgive me if this has been answered already.

Question though. I'm about to buy the FJ switches for some fogs and driving lights. I've noticed that there are some blue pig tails (harness) already in the blank spots on the center console. Could you snip these off, plug them into the back of the new fj switch and then wire your piaa 520s up to those snipped wires?

That way you could use the rest of the piaa wiring, relays etc?

#9 ·
I believe the wireing behind switch position 1 (upper left) is for installing lights up on the roof, with the other end of the harness being somewhere in the drivers side A-pillar.

Do a search, I'm sure you'll find it.

#14 ·
I am new to all of this. Where do I find the wire harness in the hood compartment. Is this harness connected to a fuse panel and does it go near the switch panel. The connector in the panel is labeled optional off road lamp switch, can I hook an OEM switch up to this connector.
Thanks

#17 ·
Harness in the hood compartment is taped under a major electrical wireing at the back of the bay on the drivers side

remove tape and plug

this harness goes via fuse panel but you need to plug in the relay. Cabin connector is on left side of drivers footwell

Unfortunatly you have to buy the switch harness to route to the switch panel because for some unknown reason the wireing for roof lights is there (behind top left switch blank) but wireing for front lights in not??!! (Unless '08s are different)

#19 ·
Great threads on this forum. I couldn't find a post that will help me do the following.

Is there a way to have the PIAA's turn on without having to turn on the high beams?

I am using the OEM switch and OEM Harnesses (interior/Exterior).

I also did the OEM rooflight switch and I noticed that you do not need the high beams on but maybe,again, it is Toyota's config.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can chime in.

Cheers,

#20 ·
mmmmm I saw the yellow plugs that are terminated just behind bumper on each side near headlights.....

anyone know what those might be. I thought they might be the plugs for factory lights.

anyone know?

#23 ·
how many wires do your PIAA have coming out of them? My ARCO only has two wires and want to make sure I got them right.

#25 ·
I have light to ON OFF light display but NO BACKLIGHT capability with the AUX SWITCH.....bad switch or does it not come with backlighting? I have other switches on console that do not light up either like my SUBWOOFER and PARKING SONAR (just ON OFF)

#27 ·
Sub switch has no light.Seems like it should be a lot simpler than I am reading it is to use the OEM harnesses for FOG lights WITHOUT high beams !!! :flame:

#28 ·
back light works on half the buttons but the rest do not have backlight working....will go by dealership as it may be a bad switch. If it has power to illuminate the OFF/ON indicator it should have power to turn on backlighting....correct?

#29 ·
Insert into connector with the green wire going into the flat side, the white w/black stripe wire on the side with the ridge. (discovered by trial & error - I popped a fuse when I originally wired the other way around)

You wouldn't happen to know which wire on the OEM lamp harness is ground. I would assume it is the white one, but I know no one ever follows standard wiring codes anymore, and I thought you might remember which side of the Pella connected to the white wire side and therefore which one was ground.

If not, I'll figure it out by trial and error as well.

#30 · (Edited)
Another thread, another education, THANKS!

1 more question, I have the TT(2008) with the Hella's on the bumper.... could I just take the wires coming off a set of PIAA's and go right into the wires coming off the Hella's (before the Hella connectors right there at the radiator area) Will this feed the Piaa's without issues? Is this do-able? Thanks I can run everything, Im just seeing if this could be simple.... I want PIAA's all the way around my rig...roof and bumper.

#32 ·
I am a bit confused, don`t want to give you wrong answer... Are you adding PIAA`s or replacing Hella`s with PIAA`s?
If you are replacing, then you can swap the lights and reconnect using existing harness.

If you are adding, then, No, it will not work. Stock Hella`s are on 15amp fuse and 14 or 16 gauge wire, i believe with 15amp relay. Carrying 4 lights would be too much of a load. You could swap relay and fuse with 30amp ones.. but then you are risking wires. For 30 amp load, should be 10-12 gauge. I mean people do that... but i wouldn`t :)

#31 ·
Bump, see post 30

#34 ·
So it is direct replacement? You are going to take off Hella`s and install PIAA`s instead? Right? If that`s the case, no need to splice it, if i am not mistaken, Hellas have pigtails inside the light itself. But i am not sure about PIAA`s.. but, with a little bit of creativity you can reuse Hella`s connectors with PIAA`s, just make connections inside the light assembly. Splicing is a good way to avoid cutting inside the cab, i wouldn`t splice something outside :)

#35 ·
This is silly to ask but did the switch have to go in
That spot? All my aux are full except those to the left of the steering wheel

#39 ·
Bringing back this post bc it has a good pick of the t-taps.. I am planning on installing the wiring and switch before the lights.. the brown wire from the switch t-taps into the green wire and the purple wire t-taps into the green/white wire?

brown->green
purple->green/white

is this correct?

EDIT: I meant to totally reverse that
Brown -> green/white
Purple-> green

Noob!

#40 ·
Hi guys,
I'm sure this has been done to death....Here it goes. I have the Acro lights and "Universal" harness with provided relay, 15A mini fuse installed in fuse box in engine bay. Factory plug in engine bay has been snipped and connected to Universal harness. In the cab, OEM switch harness and OEM aux light switch installed. Lights no worky.... :-(, however I do have a green light on the switch which is staying light ( It doesn't go out). I plan to disconnect the battery as I have run out of day light. Any insights, suggestions? Thanks in advance. Also I have each light grounded to the bumper. Should I remove the paint at the ground spots?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.