Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Complete Headlight Bulb Comparison Thread

255K views 361 replies 143 participants last post by  FJoel 
#1 · (Edited)
Stock Toyota: P/N 9003/HB2 (this is the lowest quality Osram Sylvania)
PIAA Xtreme White Plus: P/N 15224
IPF Standard Performance: P/N HHC126055
IPF Magic (Blue): P/N C41B
Sylvania Silverstar: P/N 9003ST
GE Nighthawk: P/N 9003NH/BP
Hella Xenon Blue: P/N H83140272
Koito Whitebeam H4: P/N K10000-H4
Raybrig Whitesonic H4: P/N RAY-RA43
Sylvania Silverstar Ultra: P/N 9003SU (ordered)

SEE PAGES 8 and 9 FOR THE COMPARISON!

:cheers:

#258 ·
The Xtreme Vision is the newer version of the Xtreme Power. Both have great low beam but the high beam leaves alot to be desired. I still like the older version better though.

I put a set OSRAM Nightbreaker Unlimited's in the CRV and I have to say I like them. Not as much at the Silverstar ZXE's but then again I am partial to the heavy white color still.

#261 ·
Well, I bought the PIAA 15224 H4 Style Xtreme White 12V 60/55=110/100-Watt Bulbs and find they are slightly better than stock.

Myself, my wife and son all feel there's no tremendous improvement. :-( At least they didn't cost a bundle.

I think it may be more the coverage area, or pattern, versus brightness. So, I think it's time to troll the auxiliary light threads for ideas and products.

I also picked up the Xtreme backup lights, and again, didn't find much improvement.

YMMV

Dan

#266 ·
I installed the new 'LifeTime LED Headlights', a little less than a month ago. Here are my observations.

BlueRoom thread link:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/232218-my-install-lifetime-led-headlights-how-wow.html

~ Brightness over OEM bulb's 30-40% more.
~ 6k white, brite and as clear as day light! (I have not had anyone flicker me at night that they are being blinded... A plus!)
~ I am running them off of my 'Brite Box' with no problem! *see foot note re the 'Brite Box'.
~ I'm better able to see driving at night, clearer visibility!
~ Whiteness of light, a non issue with me in rain and fog, visibility better than OEM YELLOWISH LIGHT!
Note: Photos, were taken via iPad, drivers position, no Moonlight, with rain, drizzle and slight fog...

BOTTOM LINE... I love these LED lights, worth the funds spent on them as MOD!

PS NOTE... I am not affiliated with either LifeTime nor SouthEast Overland, whom I bought these lights from.

:blueblob:

#267 ·
X2.... best $150 I've spent on the FJ thus far.

#268 ·
#269 · (Edited)
Has anyone tested out the new Sylvania Silverstar zXe replacement bulbs? I didn't see them on the OP's review. They retail for about $10 more per pair($59.99) vs Silverstar Ultra($49.99).

#270 ·
Has anyone tested out the new Sylvania Silverstar zXe replacement bulbs? I didn't see them on the OP's review. They retail for about $10 more per pair($59.99).
I installed the Silverstar ZXE a couple weeks ago. Initial impression is 'I finally have light!!' Output is much brighter than my stock lamps and throw more light farther down the road. So I am pleased so far. Despite the blue tint on the bulb glass, the appearance is of a pure white color. ZXE may not be the cheapest, last the longest, or be "the best" but for me it is currently an easy solution to more light that I can justify.

Now we just need to see how long they last. Reports are they last as long as a standard silverstars. We will see.

I don't have any night shots but this will give you a little idea anyway.

Stock bulbs cast a very yellow appearance.

ZXE's have a very white appearance.

#271 · (Edited)
Well I was bored so I picked up a pair of the Silverstar zXe 9003's. Much whiter than stock. Hard to tell how much brighter they are without a lux meter. .

zXe On the left

The driver side is the zXe bulb. Passenger side is the stock bulb. Not a great picture.

Edit: These bulbs have Xenon gas in them raising the color temp from 4100k(silverstar Ultra) to 4200k(zXe).

#272 ·
Well I was bored so I picked up a pair of the Silverstar zXe 9003's. Much whiter than stock. Hard to tell how much brighter they are without a lux meter. .

zXe On the left

The driver side is the zXe bulb. Passenger side is the stock bulb. Not a great picture.
Nice. I definitely want whiter. I don't care much for brighter but the yellow kills me.

#274 ·
Over the holidays I did about 2000 miles... a lot at night (10 hours at a time for example) and the zXe's were fantastic. Lit up all the deer on the side of the highway just enough :) And the brights are just ridiculous.

#277 · (Edited)
#282 ·
Just ordered a set of the PIAAs. Hopefully they'll last until I setup my LED headlights ;-)

I thought about the Silverstar Ultras and decided against them. Much more mixed reviews on Amazon compared to the PIAAs. Quite a bit cheaper though, but I don't need these to last very long, and it'll be nice to have a set of spares in the back.

I'll report back with experiences after they come in a few days.

#283 ·
The PIAA's are definitely bright but like most of the aftermarket lights they suffer from a super low burn time. I think PIAAs are only rated for about 250hrs if I remember right. The set I had burned out in under 4months (damn DDL).

I would love to hear thoughts on the new crop of plug and play LED set ups for the headlight. I know the Lifetime brand had a really bad crop of lights hit the market but all were replaced under warranty. They have a new version now I think. I have had my eye on the Zeus brand but as of yet have heard no reports or reviews

#286 ·
Just installed the Phillips Extreme Vision bulbs. Once again, found excellent install instructions on this forum. Probably the easiest bulb replacement of any vehicle I've owned. Initial impression after one night of driving is excellent throw and very wide spread. Was on a 4 lane road last night with no street lights...both sides of the highway were illuminated by the spread. Hopefully helps with spotting the multitudes of deer in my area. Packaging states the bulbs are rated for 400 hours which sounds reasonable to me considering their performance. I ordered online from Powerbulbs. Great price and fast/free shipping. Pleased so far.

#292 ·
Just installed the Phillips Extreme Vision bulbs. ........ I ordered online from Powerbulbs. Great price and fast/free shipping. Pleased so far.
I have had great luck with Powerbulbs but I have noticed their prices going up in the last couple years. I think the Extreme Vision replaced the Extreme Power. I ran them both and liked the Power version much better. A little light reading (pun intended) in the CandlePowerForums and I figured out what happened. The light got a reduction in output to increase lifespan. The Vision version does have a very nice low beam though. One of the best.

I am running SS Ultra's right now and am going to try the ZXEs in the FJ next. I have them in a CRV and like them. But that quad H1 set up in the 06 CRV is the still the worst set up ever... Amazing how long things last when you go from 30K miles a year to 10K miles...lol

#290 ·
Just picked up the new Sylvania zxes. Just after a quick drive these are a HUGE improvement over stock. Well worth the $60. Has that HID look that most are looking for and the highs are just ignorant. Couldn't be happier. Also this is irrelevant without pictures as we all know.

Lows

Highs

#291 ·
Just picked up the new Sylvania zxes. Just after a quick drive these are a HUGE improvement over stock. Well worth the $60. Has that HID look that most are looking for and the highs are just ignorant. Couldn't be happier. Also this is irrelevant without pictures as we all know.

Lows

Highs

Looks great! Wish I would have known this a week ago... My dad's gx would have gotten these. Next time I will probably try these.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.