Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Homemade Airdam Round 2

100K views 268 replies 109 participants last post by  Dock4E 
#1 ·
I got the first one finished and mounted. It took more like 6 hours to do the job. As I said in the original thread, I added 1.5" to the height of the airdam to close up the gap at the roofline a little and make it as tall as the rack. The shaft collars are aluminum (painted) and the hardware is all stainless steel. I think it looks better than the first one.
In case you missed the original, here is the link: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...m-factory-rack.html?highlight=homemade+airdam

I will continue making more and hope to have some ready by the OBX Beach Bash.

See less See more
Reactions: podex_equus
#4 ·
Looks even better then the first one!

#17 ·
Now That! looks great. Kudos to you my friend.
Wesayso, looks great!!! Very nice work indeed.
love it, how much $... and please info on wind noise
looks great!! if you ever want to sell one ...count me in!!!
Nice work!

If your not gonna sell these...pm me your address, I have a couple slimy friends in Va that owe me a debt or two! :)
Thanks guys. I believe I have PM'ed all those who expressed interest. If I missed you, let me know.

#5 ·
yes price this looks great! and have you noticed any changes in fuel consuption or wind noise?

#6 ·
I am curious about wind noise as well, I would think with the small gap it would make a mini wind tunnel.

#10 ·
looks great!! if you ever want to sell one ...count me in!!!

#12 ·
Ditto.

Doug

#16 ·
So far I have 5 definates for the complete airdam, 1 definate for the airdam with no hardware, and 2 maybe's. I will try to have 2 airdams finished for delivery to the OBX Beach Bash.
All this extra work is gonna kill me. Good thing it's a labor of love.

#22 ·
I am not sure if you know this or not but, you are required to spend all money made on selling mods for FJs on mods for your own FJ. OK a dinner or two for you and the wife is permissable as well. You must continue to use this money for mods until a majority of those on the board decide your rig is done. Happy modding :)

#18 ·
A johnny-come-lately here... But, if you decide that you wanna get into this biz, I would like to inquire about purchasing one of these fine examples of American craftmanship. It looks great and I don't have the talent or the tools to accomplish the production of one. PM or post with interest in producing. Thanks and it looks great.

#20 ·
I'm still in on the group buy, right? Just let me know when you need the $$$

Larry

#26 ·
Hey, so i might be a late comer too, but let me offer a nice work. Great pics! I love how you blacked out the grill and the mirrors, painted the TOYOTA badge...it all comes together well. I don't know what you're asking for in terms of payment on that airdam but if i had disposable income i'd be interested...

#30 ·
No whistling or howling. I can't hear any difference, the wife says it's quieter.

#31 ·
Hate to be a wet-blanket, but does this work parking in a standard garage w/ a garage opener? When I look at my FJ in the garage it looks like the roof rack was designed to account far a low-hanging garage door opener, because the cross members are set in back instead of up front.

Of course, I live in an older home (the ceiling may be lower) with an older garage door opener (which is larger than newer ones and hangs lower), but the air dam would work in my garage. Love it, tho!

(Also, is that a Dallas Cowboy star inside your vehicle? Good boy...)

#35 ·
Clears my garage by about 3/4", but I'm not lifted and don't use my garage as a "garage".

#38 ·
Took a trip to Lexington for the football game this weekend. The new airdam performed nicely. We noticed no additional noise. As a side note we got 22.8 mpg on the return trip. Best mileage we've made on this trip yet (using Shell Premium).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.