Dual Swing Out Tire Carrier on ARB Rear Bumper - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Interior / Exterior Visual Tech This section contains discussion related to visual modifications of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Some items might include dash kits, roof rack modifications and other visual modifications.

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 2715
Dual Swing Out Tire Carrier on ARB Rear Bumper

I know a lot of you have seen my rear bumper upgrade for the rear winch. Since I cut into the bumper already I thought I would cut further.

Crozhawk have been making there AMAZING rear tire carriers for the 5th Gen 4-Runner. We talked about it and thought he can male a tire carrier for my FJ.
We decided on a dual tire carrier due to the design of the FJ and the looks of the FJ Cruiser.

Croz cut out the corners of the raised part of the bumper (above the ARB logo). He added 3/8” thick metal reinforcements to box in the removed section and drilled out a hole for the Rock Logic 4X4 spindle Rock Logic 4x4 - Serving Your Real World 4x4 Needs - Rock crawling, custom fabrication, suspensions, axles, hydrolic assisst, custom roll cages and more. Croz removed the interior structure to access the area behind the bumper for the base of the spindle then welded the new piece to the bumper and ground down the welds smooth. He added gussets to strengthen the base of the spindle.

Here is the test fitting.

We worked on the arms using 2X2 ID square tubing and latched in the center with a De-Sta-Co 341R clamp. Croz welded on a simple back stop to prevent the swing arms from moving forward and to make the fit tighter to avoid movement on the trail (see above pic).

We added a tire carrier by using the same 2X2 ID square tubing angled out about 17 degrees. Croz angled the tire up to match the rake of the rear gate of the FJ.

The basket kit for the gas cans came from 4X4 Labs -| 4X4 LABS |-. The kit comes with the basket 2X2 ID up tube, gussets, and license plate bracket.

Here is the finished product at the test fitting before sending off to powder coating.

I will post more pics. when it comes back from powder coating.

I would like to thank Crozhawk for the designing and welding on the bumper. He is by far the best fabricator I have seen yet. If anyone has any questions I know he is in this forum somewhere.

-Ben

Parts….

2 Rock Logic 4X4 Spinals

De-Sta-Co clamp 341R

4X4 Labs dual gas can carrier.

ARB Bull Bar & Rear Bumper, ICON Vehicle Dynamics Stage 3, Safari Snorkel, 6 lightforce 210's, Eclipse AVN GPS,DVD,CD,Sirius & B/U cam. ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels with GY Wrangler MT/R's, BajaRack, ARB Simpson II RTT, Rasta4X4 sliders & skids, T-Rex Grille, Bushwacker fender flares, Tuffy Security Drawer & cargo divider, VIAIR 450 & tank, Dirty Parts 2 Battery W/ 2 Optima YT, InPro LED marker & tail lights, custom Matte Black wrapping by RÄV Design.

Last edited by FlyNdrive; 12-06-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Master

Member Number: 9386
Re: Dual Swing Out Tire Carrier on ARB Rear Bumper

I saw this post on the 120 forum. Makes me wish i knew how to weld! Looks good and it's basically what everyone on here has been asking for.
Norcal FJs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Regular

Member Number: 13267

Quote:
daPitbull previously said: View Post
I saw this post on the 120 forum. Makes me wish i knew how to weld! Looks good and it's basically what everyone on here has been asking for.
No joke, I need to learn how to weld.

More addicting than meth....not that I know...
http://4x4country.net/register.php?REF=8933
Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pacific Coast Moderator

Member Number: 10461
Lifetime Supporting Member

Most impressive. I do like it a lot.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 4576
Send a message via AIM to hero Send a message via MSN to hero Send a message via Skype™ to hero

If that was for sale and was reasonably priced I would get one (assuming I have the funds).

- Mike
Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Master

Member Number: 11155

Pretty cool. Are you going to reposition your license plate on to the basket?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Master

Member Number: 3982
Send a message via Yahoo to rutherk1

Awesome how people have no problem taking a torch, grinder, and welder to their FJ.

That rig looks like it gets-er-dun.

FJ's = possessive
FJs = plural
Old 12-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Master

Member Number: 1361

Holy shiite!

I'm in lust...
Old 12-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 2715

My FJ is definitely a trail rig. I have cut into the frame in 4 places; cut holes in the body for a snorkel, Air lines, electrical lines, and bumpers. I have blown out a diff, and an alternator, and have trail damage from Moab to Maryland. Yep. It's a trail rig.

ARB Bull Bar & Rear Bumper, ICON Vehicle Dynamics Stage 3, Safari Snorkel, 6 lightforce 210's, Eclipse AVN GPS,DVD,CD,Sirius & B/U cam. ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels with GY Wrangler MT/R's, BajaRack, ARB Simpson II RTT, Rasta4X4 sliders & skids, T-Rex Grille, Bushwacker fender flares, Tuffy Security Drawer & cargo divider, VIAIR 450 & tank, Dirty Parts 2 Battery W/ 2 Optima YT, InPro LED marker & tail lights, custom Matte Black wrapping by RÄV Design.

Last edited by FlyNdrive; 12-06-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Regular

Member Number: 10443
Send a message via AIM to crozhawk

Quote:
hero previously said: View Post
If that was for sale and was reasonably priced I would get one (assuming I have the funds).
yeah, the reasonably priced part is hardest part

.....wait til it gets back from the powdercoaters. ....gonna be saweeeeet!

2006 4runner
1994 Landcrushr - sold
Solid Axle Conversion
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Interior / Exterior Visual Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.