Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

How did you arrange your FJ to sleep in it?

27K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  Sanderhawk 
#1 ·
I have used a double air mattress and it fills out everything but is too thick. I want to level the back up over the seats in the down position with the bottom section of the seat taken out. We used to sleep in my 73 Bronco with the tailgate down and it worked well but no tailgate on the FJ. :^)

Also, does anyone know where the mod is for opening up the rear from the inside?

So I would guess I will need to make a platform for the back to level it. I would most likely want to make it hinged to go up beyond the rear seat that is folded down, to fill in the area between the top of the seat and the back seat.

Thanks for any information.

#2 ·
#12 ·
I'm 6'3" and fit fine. I have my drawer system with platform that I use a queen sized air mattress with. It fits perfectly. I lay on the passenger side because the front seat back goes forward more.
How tall is your platform? I was thinking of making a platform level with the "ledges" in back.

#9 ·
I once removed the front right passenger seat before a trip to Wind Rock. I had cut down a sheet of 3/4 plywood and used some 2X2 for some support legs for the seat area. I was able to make a long level sleeping platform to support my 5'11" 240lbs nice and comfy. I used a 4" thick piece of memory foam and a thick down sleeping bag over the platform. Man I slept real good for five nights safe and sound and stayed nice and warm. Nice not to have to pack all the camping gear and set it Up then break it down.

My new endeavor is to build a stealth 5x8 V nose trailer into a stealth bug out camper that has full bath/shower combo and everything for hot or cold weather. That way I can get out more often and enjoy travel and camping on the whim of the moment.

#10 ·
I put a tent in it. When I put my FJ to sleep, I set up the tent next to it under my ARB awning. :smile

Reactions: BlindWilly
#11 ·
I have two methods of sleeping inside my FJ. 1st off I can say its one of the few times I'll say im glad I'm short(5'6"). With the smaller rear driver side seat folded down I can comfortably lay down with my legs wrapped around the corner. I also built a platform. With both seats folded down its about a 3in difference between the seat and rear horizontal areas. My dog prefers this method much more

#17 ·
I have super long breaks at uni i could tale some to sleep a little.
I have a twin sized air mattress which fits fine but the problem lays in how to get cold air sleeping in a glass house (tinted for sure).
I tried a fan but no luck its not enough to get cold air, keep in mind this is at a busy university parking i dont want to attract much attention snoring in the trunk lol.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Here is the setup I have, BigBubbaJ let me borrow this sleeping platform. I don't have any good pictures of it, just these.

This picture shows the platform with several sleeping pads and sleeping bags on top of it. The platform is 3/4" plywood covered with gray carpet. To put it in I fold the rear seats down and remove the seat bottoms from the FJ. Then the platform sits on top of the folded seats. When I sleep at night I slide the front seats forward as far as they will go, and there is a second piece that rests on teh center console and butts up against the back of the front seats. This extends the sleeping area about another foot. I'm 5'10" and I have plenty of room to stretch out on one side of the back and keep all my gear on the other side. Two could sleep comfortably but you would need to move your gear somewhere else. I don't open the rear door from inside, I go in and out of the side doors with no problems.

The second picture is everything packed up from a different camping trip. You can see the gray-carpeted extension on the far left side.

If anyone is interested I can add more pictures and measurements of the platform this evening.

#24 · (Edited)
I have done almost exactly what you have described. You are right, before spending much time in the back of the FJ one needs to be able to exit the rear cargo door, for convenience as well as for safety. This is a simple mod and details and links can be found in my build thread on page one.

You must also be able to open the rear window from inside and prop the rear window open for ventilation.

Screens must be used when things get buggy as well as insulated reflective window shades to reflect heat and provide privacy. You can see the window covers on the left side in the following picture. After installing them over all of the windows, the inside of the FJ is pretty darn dark in the middle of the day.

Details about my storage/sleeping build is also in there. Lots of guys have built much fancier units. You can spend as much time or money as you wish, I spent very little of either and am very happy with the results. Mom and I sleep fine back there. And yes, I too wish the front seats slid a bit further forward.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/417858-moab-junky-build-thread.html

Have fun with this project. It was one of the least expensive mods we have done and is probably the one we enjoy the most. The kids are grown and out on their own so the bed is left set up most of the time. The hinged forward sections are real time savers.

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
I tried sleeping in my stock FJ with little luck. It took a lot of foam to make it flat.The next step was to remove the back seat and I built a level platform. It worked well, with the front seats pulled forward and tilted. That created a problem but leaving no storage space for other camping equipment. On long distant trips we had lots of equipment. Eventually we went with a Roof Top Tent. We then added a slider to the platform. This made access to Fridge and equipment easier.The ladder climb and nightly trip to the great outdoors are no big deal. It is no more of a problem than crawling out of the back to go. The only reason to not go with a RTT is cost, not the ladder. Either way, nothing beats camping in or on a FJ.

Attachments

#34 ·
Yesterday I modified the back door latch. I can easily open the back door from inside, something Toyota should have done. Today I am going to make a plywood platform inside with one hinged section to fold out flat when the front seats are pushed forward. I just want to keep it simple. We have used a tent for many years but sometimes I like just more simplicity. The ability to open to back door from inside is a big positive.

Reactions: NyNomad
#36 ·
Friend asked if we could sleep in my truck to try it out, we basically just dropped the backseats down, threw a duvet down and a blanket on top with some pillows. Was astonishingly comfy (but we used a ridiculously thick duvet). Easiest option if you're on a budget methinks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.