Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

PCS to Ramstein

20K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  DWMiller76 
#1 ·
I got notified recently that I will be moving to Ramstein AB, Germany in April. I'm really excited, but, I have no idea what to do with my FJ. It's a 2011 with a Pro Comp 3 inch suspension lift, 285/70/17 STT tires, a Demello single hoop front bumper with Acro lights. Other than that, completely stock. I want to take it, but I'm not sure what all, if anything, will have to be done to ensure I can drive it legally on German streets. Anybody here take an FJ to Germany? What all did you have to do? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Dave

#2 ·
Really depends on a lot of things. Personally I would drive my rig to my parents house or somewhere I could trust it sitting for 2 years and just buy a cheap car over there. There is no wheeling to be had in Germany and the cost of fuel will break ya.

The public transportation over there is great. That being said it has been 20 yrs since I was in that area.

#3 ·
I thought about that. I'll be there for 3 years. I hate to make payments on something that I can't drive for that long. I don't worry too much about fuel cost. I'm buying a car for my wife when I get there. I have to have transportation everyday living off base, but working on base. Anybody know what has to be done to it before I go, or after I get it there?

#5 ·
I know there have been a couple of people that have taken FJs over there and posted about it. I think 2007FJTRD or 2007TRDFJ was one of them and I think he went to Stuttgart.

#6 ·
The Germans aren't big fans of modifications, especially those involving tires, suspension, tint. It might be a royal pain to get it compliant over there.

Even with subsidized fuel, I'd think it over long and hard, as piloting any large-ish vehicle around on Euro roads and in their tight parking garages might be a bit of a chore. It might be more fun to get something fast and sporty to enjoy on the highways and mountain roads.

#7 · (Edited)
The Germans aren't big fans of modifications, especially those involving tires, suspension, tint. It might be a royal pain to get it compliant over there.
Actually its crazy what you can drive in Germany if you check, but it is mainly sedans and coupes (BMW, Audi, Mercedes) with crazy horse power and $$$$ suspension/brake upgrades. They have pretty strict rules but it still allows for street rockets, there is a big market for it :)

I grew up in Europe and drove on german highways for years, you will be pushed to move into the truck lane all the time with your FJ, it simply isn't a fast vehicle and gets depressing. Also gas prices approaching $10/gal will make you cry.
I would look for something that can easily go 100-120mph while getting 25+ mpg.

#10 ·
Forum member "N8!" is in Germany since March/April this year, and he took his FJ with him... So he already went through the whole process and surely can give you some hints. Try to PM him...

Thanks to the Recall from Toyota (Seat belts) we now know, that there are exactly 465 FJCs out there on german streets.

If you love your rig, bring it over! The not existant speed limits on the Autobahn is overrated! Most of the times on most of the Autobahn you are not able to drive faster than 90mph.
Plus the FJC is fast enough to use the fast lane...

#15 ·
I am now working with a dealer in Germany to determine what has to be done. kundenbetreuung@toyota.de is there website, and they are very helpful. I have taken a picture of the plate mounted inside the door on the drivers side to get them the data I need to complete my request. Should take a few weeks, but they are confident they can help me.

They did say my warranty would not be any good over there, so that's drawback number one so far.

#21 ·
DWMiller, how has it been since you have been there? I am headed over myself with similar mods, and am curious what the inspection station will think of them. From what I have researched I should be fine but some first hand experience would be great. I have an aluminum plate bumper very similar to yours.

#16 · (Edited)
#17 ·
I was stationed at Ramstein with a lifted Nissan Armada (which they don't sell there) making it a huge vehicle to begin with. I had no issues passing inspection there. They're mainly concerned with emissions and safety standards (basically no Ford Pintos). I couldn't fit into their parking spots at all. Gas is rationed and I got 15mpg. Germany and Europe is so spread out and as great add it was to have a huge safe vehicle it just wasn't conducive to the country. The cars there are mostly 4cyl turbos or quick v6's for a reason. They drive quick and parking is tight. As much as I love my FJ I just wouldn't bring one there. Audi's and VWs are like Ford and Chevy out there and you can get a great one for little $$. In fact on base you can buy them US spec tax free and almost at cost. It's a deal almost every manufacture has with the military. I know people that custom ordered theres and picked it up at the factory. Some ordered Volvos, flew to Sweden and drove it home for a fraction of what it would cost here.

#18 · (Edited)
As Stormer stated above, you shouldn't have much trouble passing inspection. I am stationed over here at the moment, and it honestly depends on what kind of day the German's are having at the inspection center. I personally didn't bring my FJ over here because of the gas mileage, size, insurance amount (very very $$$$$). So I bought a beater BMW like most do over here.

They do tend to harp on small things during the inspection...if your wheels stick out past the fenders, they will fail you. And it sucks because if they tell you something is bad, they will fail you and make you fix it...I had a problem because they thought a bushing was bad even though it was practically brand new, and I had to get it replaced. Mechanic labor rates will rape you over here.

The only bad thing about buying a new car over here using ENCS, they are in fact tax free, BUT you will have to pay the taxes when you ship it back to the states.

Also...you might run into trouble if your FJ is a little tall on the ship. If it's over a certain height they will charge you extra and that is out of pocket.

If you have any other problems or questions I can try to help you out.

#20 ·
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, But I now just received orders to Ramstein. For the OP, since you have been there a while, do you have any advice for passing the initial period technical inspection? Also, I have two dogs I would like to take with me. It seems like everyone is saying I should get rid of the pups but they are family. I don't know if I can do that. Any advice in animals as well?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#23 ·
So...Been here about 7 months now. I love driving my FJ over here. It's a little tight on parking, but sliders keep the door dings away! :) No trouble passing inspection, except pulling off the factory tint. I'm allowed 600 liters of fuel per month at normal price, then buy it on the economy after that. I never even get close to 300 liters per month. There is an off-road club near here in Frankfurt that does trail rides. My out of town ride is a BMW, so easy to cruise to France, Belgium, etc... Germany is great!

#24 ·
Well thank you for the good news! I was honestly most concerned about the aftermarket bumper. It seems like everything I can research over here about bringing American vehicle over to Germany makes it seem that the inspectors won't pass them because they don't like American vehicles. I knew it couldn't be that bad. I have heard from alot of people that my FJ is too big for the roads, but I have lived in Sicily for a while in the past, and they have some pretty narrow roads over there, but we were driving these beasts of Fiat Vans that were more like small busses. Didn't have any problems driving those Fiats on Sicilian roads. I'll have some more questions for you in the near future that I will post up, mostly about the inspection station. We should meet up when I get there, If you don't mind. Start our own FJ club and maybe encourage others to bring theirs over too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.