2013 FJ Cruiser Fuel Type - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Introductions & New Arrivals New to FJCruiserForums? Come on it and tell us about yourself. Just get your new FJ? Post about it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2013 FJ Cruiser Fuel Type

I just got a new FJ Cruiser (Cavalry Blue), 4WD and notice the owner's manual states "Unleaded gasoline, Octane rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher.

I was under the impression that previous FJs specified 91 Octane, but could run on Regular. Is this a change for the newer model? I assume I will get the listed 260HP, 271 FT/LBS torque by using at least 87 Octane?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Garage
Re: 2013 FJ Cruiser Fuel Type

been that way since 2010. Designed for 87 but runs better on 91 (Full HP quoted by Toyota is on 91). Whereas the old engines were designed for 91 and 87 was not recommended.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks. Maybe I will try a tank of each and see if I can tell a difference in either off road performance or mileage...
#4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Dirty Old Man

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

You can regular, medium, or premium in any of them. The first ones were labeled wrong and it was said you had to use premium. They later came out and said that you didn't. It's just that the hp/torque figures were from using premium. They will run just fine though on all of it.

When I die you can bury me beneath these Western Skies, Yippee-ay! (Chris LeDoux)
#5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Buggy Building Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
lqdchkn previously said: View Post
been that way since 2010. Designed for 87 but runs better on 91 (Full HP quoted by Toyota is on 91). Whereas the old engines were designed for 91 and 87 was not recommended.
87 was not recommended in the 07-09 models? Where was this noted?

Most of what I saw communicated was that it was a misprint on the earlier years and that 87 was fine. Thought toyota even released a notice that 87 was fine.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
drl747 previously said: View Post
Thanks. Maybe I will try a tank of each and see if I can tell a difference in either off road performance or mileage...
I've run both and for the extra $2-$3 per tank 91 costs I prefer to use it.

Quote:
FJNewb previously said: View Post
87 was not recommended in the 07-09 models? Where was this noted?

Most of what I saw communicated was that it was a misprint on the earlier years and that 87 was fine. Thought toyota even released a notice that 87 was fine.
News to me I've never heard anything like that. I mean how do you make a "typo" in an owners manual and not fix it for 3 years? I've always considered anything other than what it stated to use in the owners manual as "not recommended", I mean why would they tell you to use the most $$$$ fuel if it didn't matter
#7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Buggy Building Moderator

Quote:
lqdchkn previously said: View Post
News to me I've never heard anything like that. I mean how do you make a "typo" in an owners manual and not fix it for 3 years? I've always considered anything other than what it stated to use in the owners manual as "not recommended", I mean why would they tell you to use the most $$$$ fuel if it didn't matter
I've never heard anywhere on here that 87 is not recommended or not ok. I've only ever heard the contrary for 07-09s, in that its fine. Tacoma and 4runner used the same 1GR engine as 07-09FJCs and noted 87 octane. The claimed TSB for this was PP06-VG6027. Whether thats accurate or not I don't know.

Seeing that TRD says you can run their SC on 87, but won't make maximum power unless you use 91 I highly doubt 87 is an issue on this engine.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
I've never heard anywhere on here that 87 is not recommended or not ok. I've only ever heard the contrary for 07-09s, in that its fine. Tacoma and 4runner used the same 1GR engine as 07-09FJCs and noted 87 octane. The claimed TSB for this was PP06-VG6027. Whether thats accurate or not I don't know.

Seeing that TRD says you can run their SC on 87, but won't make maximum power unless you use 91 I highly doubt 87 is an issue on this engine.
it's the timing in the ECUs fuel map that would make it matter for the engine. while the engines are the same the ECUs software and fueling/timing may not be

also here is the thread from TTUBB where he states Toyota told him directly that using 87 in earlier motors for the FJ (must be due to FJ specific ECU fuel mapping) could cause knocking and they reiterated to use what the owners manual states.
Reply from Toyota on 91 octane fuel

I haven't seen anything official about TSB PP06-VG6027. The closest thing to offical i could find is a pic someone took of a non official looking printed page. All Data doesnt show a TSB for this for the 07-09 FJ.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Buggy Building Moderator

Do agree with you that the maps could be different. However, lots of folks running 87 on 07-09 models (search the threads) and few reports of any knocking (30k on mine an no issue, others much more). Just passing along what I have seen, apparently that wasn't a formal TSB just a buelletin.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Do agree with you that the maps could be different. However, lots of folks running 87 on 07-09 models (search the threads) and few reports of any knocking (30k on mine an no issue, others much more). Just passing along what I have seen, apparently that wasn't a formal TSB just a buelletin.
You will never hear any knocking as the knock sensors hear it first and retard the timing. If you do hear knocking you are in deep Sh**.

I filled my tank once with 85 octane by mistake. I didn't know it was even available here in Reno. I noticed no knocking but a considerable lack of power. I drove straight to the parts store and bought some octane booster.

I don't think Toyota has ever came out with a bulletin that says it's OK to use 87 but it sure won't hurt to use it other than a slight lack of power and gas mileage.

This is JMO but I think Toyota wanted the FJ to have a little extra ADVERTIZED HP when first introduced so they did the premium fuel thing.

You can take any late model engine on any vehicle and reprogram it to run on premium. The end result is you can advertize a higher HP rating in most cases. Again JMO

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, & Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs & Batt clamp - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Die Hard 850 - Kenwood DNX6980 Nav Radio - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Newbie Town > Introductions & New Arrivals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.