Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

fresh fish

3K views 37 replies 34 participants last post by  PureFJCruiser 
#1 ·
Just a quick hello. I'm Sean from Portland Oregon and I just recently purchased a 2010 FJ in Army Green. I am excited to be taking it to the beach tomorrow. I'm hoping to participate in this forum and see just how much I can do to my FJ with a little bit of advice from the masses. For now, I'll just try to figure out how to change this profile picture. -sean

#3 ·
Welcome!

#6 ·
Welcome from Colorado.

#11 ·
Welcome.

#13 ·
Welcome aboard!

#14 ·
Welcome from Estacada.
Army green FJ and living in Oregon - You are one smart dude.

#16 ·
Welcome!

#17 ·
welcome.

read the Northwest sub forum.

We have an event at the end of March at the Dunes you are welcome to participate and meet fellows Fj'ers

#21 ·
Nice FJ. Welcome to the forum.

#23 ·
Green looks good I gotta admit!

Just a little beach advise. Prior to rolling onto the sand, come to a complete stop and hold the Anti-Skid button for 5 seconds. This will disengage the skid and traction nannies and allow you more freedom on the sand. Plus, engage 4H prior to needing it. Sometimes it balks at engaging if you wait until you're knuckle deep.

Tires will spin a little awkward in the sand. If the traction control is on it will moderate your gas pedal and apply brakes to get your FJ stable. This will kill your momentum, get you stuck and likely burn up your brakes. The nannies are designed to assist with pavement driving, but they will mess you up in the sand.

If you do get off-axis spin, drop it to 4L and engage the A-Trac. Viola unstuck! If you've really screwed up and ALL tires are spinning .... STOP before you put the frame on the sand. Reduce air pressure in all 4 tires to 12-15 psi, dig as much sand away from the front and back of the tire and Viola you're driving away.

The FJ is an absolute Beast in the sand, but you'll have to be prepared. I've never been so stuck I couldn't air down to get out, but I've seen FJs that forgot to engage 4x4 until it was too late.

#25 ·
Green looks good I gotta admit!

Just a little beach advise.
Thanks! I wish I would have read this and did a little prepping before our beach day. I did have it in 4H prior to hitting the sand, but the anti-skid trick would have been nice. I did try to put it in 4L while stopped on the sand, but found I didn't quite know what I was doing. Like having it in Neutral, the fact that it's an Automatic and from what I heard it's not as smooth of a transition as it is in Manual with a clutch to engage everything.

The next day I spoke with a buddy and he said everything is normal, and showed me the error of my ways... after reading what you've just wrote I'm excited to make a return trip. I do wish that I had a different daily driver though. I'm afraid my inexperience and need to have fun are going to push me to far to early. lol I better idle down a bit!

#31 ·
Welcome...... yeah the dogs love the FJ...... !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.