Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

First truck, Honda guy made the jump! (Central FL)

1K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Jb7710 
#1 ·
So after a couple years of serious interest of owning an FJ, I'm finally there!

I'm now the proud owner of a 2007 6-speed with 96k.

I never thought I would get rid of this car, it served me very well and in a perfect world I would still own it. But I'm ready to try something new and get outside of the box a little!

I'm a 10-year Honda and Acura master tech and an FJ is about the only other vehicle on the road that I've been seriously interested in. Mine came in on trade last Friday evening and I drove it home Monday. It was pretty much a done deal at first sight.

I found a nice stack of dealer maintenance records and receipts in the glove box which include: brand new MT Baja MTZ's, drive-train fluids and spark plugs just changed, baja rack, trailer brake control, carpeted cargo platform (not sure what else to call this haha), I'm not 100% which lift kit it has but from what I've gathered so far it's possibly a 3" Toytec, also found an engine block heater which kind of made me worried about salt-belt rot but it's super clean underneath, well taken care of.

The bad:

- Previous owner has been running factory UCA's with the lift, I need correct UCA's ASAP - my RF upper ball joint is shot. The LF doesn't contact the spring as hard so no play there, but definitely ordering UCA's this weekend.

- Throw-out bearing is pretty noisy, going to order a clutch kit but I'm probably going to ride it out for a just a little bit longer still.

- RF inner tie rod has a good amount of play, Toyota does not sell the inners separately. Will be looking into aftermarket inners.

- ABS/VSA/Traction Control (whatever Toyota calls it) lights intermittently come on, sometimes while braking (light or hard) sometimes just idling. Have the DTC's written down at work (doh) but it's for a Brake Pressure Sensor Malfunction, which looks to be part of the master cylinder/ABS module assembly. Any chance the brake controller is tied into something causing this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! I am sure your mechanic expertise will come in handy around here. Glad you made the jump! After 2 Honda Elements, and 1 Honda Fit, I made the jump to the FJ and have never regretted since. Enjoy! Keep in touch and update us by starting a build thread

:rocker::rocker:

Reactions: schull
#4 ·
Welcome!

#5 ·
Welcome to the crew. Nice FJC.

#10 ·
Welcome aboard, congrats on your FJ purchase. I don't know all the function of the ABS braking system however the wheel speed sensors pop up as a problem once in a while. As you believe to have a lift in the suspension it is possible one of the sensors or sensor wires was damaged during the install.

#12 ·
Welcome from MD!!!…gm

#15 ·
Welcome aboard!

#18 ·
Welcome from Colorado.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.