Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

My 2,500 mile drive home in 2014 Magma FJ

12K views 50 replies 33 participants last post by  javylsu 
#1 ·
Hello FJC Forums! My name is Javier, and this past week I became the new owner of a 2014 Magma FJ Cruiser. I feel like I've been living on this forum for the past month, lurking and reading as many threads as possible. I've been a Senior Moderator for the largest Lexus forum since 2007, so I know the value of the SEARCH button... :D

My story is a little different than most - I've been searching for a 2014 4WD Magma FJ with one owner, no accident history, and convenience package with under 40K miles for a few months, and one popped up within my price target in Ronan, Montana. I live in New Haven, Connecticut. I've bought cars far away like this before, but this would be my longest trip for a car yet (my Lexus IS350 I bought in Dallas, and drove home to Los Angeles. Before that I bought a 2001 Silverado Z71 in Dallas and drove that home to New Orleans).

Sooooo, once I had all my questions answered I decided to make an adventure out of it - I had never been to Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, etc... So I booked a flight to Glacier Park International Airport in Montana and began a 2,500 mile return trip home.

Here's me picking up the rig at the dealership (yes, this is the view from the dealership in Ronan, MT):

Couldn't wait very long to take her off-road a bit...

True to form, the FJ's windshield is a deadly weapon. It killed a bird in Wyoming. Sorry bird.

On the way up the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming:

Just short of the peak of Little Bald Mountain at almost 10,000 feet!

Two feet away from a cliff at Badlands National Park:

The whole trip - 2,584 miles from MT to CT:

I love this thing! As I've come to expect from Toyota products, the FJ made the cross-country trip without any issues. Can't wait to meet some of you and get involved in the FJC community. Cheers,

Javier

See less See more
#10 ·
Thanks for all the comments everyone, I feel the love!

That's exactly what all the guys at my local Toyota dealership said when I rolled in to have it serviced. I felt like a rock star when they all started swarming around the truck to get a look at it!

Welcome from the UK.

Congrats on your Magma, looks like you had a great trip home.
Thanks, I very much did. I'm thankful I was able to experience these wonderful natural treasures that America has to offer.

Welcome aboard Javier,

I can't think of a better way to buy an FJ. You have extremely good taste in the fun part of life.

I hope you will become a regular contributor to this forum. Anybody who did what you did to get your FJ definitely has much to contribute.

I just wish they would have made those ultra cool colors like Magma in the more recent versions!

BTW I really appreciate your documenting your trip. Makes me downright tearful nostalgic since I've been on most of those roads, but not since a long time back.

BTW I've spent more time in Montana than many people who live there and I have never heard of Ronan.

That's a hell of a find!

Sincerely,
LHB
Thanks, I couldn't agree more. I was fortunate enough to take advantage of a situation like this, and I sure wasn't going to pass it up! And TRUST me, you'll definitely see me active on the boards!

#3 ·
Welcome!

#27 ·
Hey BIGGUY,

Just sent you a PM. I'm not used to checking my mailbox. Check your's if you see this and I promise to be more diligent in checking mine.

#4 ·
Welcome aboard!

#6 ·
Welcome to the crew Javier

#7 ·
Welcome aboard!
Great intro and pics.

:cheers:

#8 ·
nice looking truck ... enjoy (as you already have) ... welcome to the Forum ...
:cheers:

#9 ·
Welcome aboard Javier,

I can't think of a better way to buy an FJ. You have extremely good taste in the fun part of life.

I hope you will become a regular contributor to this forum. Anybody who did what you did to get your FJ definitely has much to contribute.

I just wish they would have made those ultra cool colors like Magma in the more recent versions!

BTW I really appreciate your documenting your trip. Makes me downright tearful nostalgic since I've been on most of those roads, but not since a long time back.

BTW I've spent more time in Montana than many people who live there and I have never heard of Ronan.

That's a hell of a find!

Sincerely,
LHB

#13 ·
Welcome aboard .The pictures and the FJ look fantastic
It looks like something Toyota should have taken to market the FJ

#14 ·
Welcome aboard[emoji1417] it looks like yo had a fun trip, and your FJ looks fantastic. If you think you like it now, wait until you live with it more..it may very well become your next addiction. My FJ is the only vehicle that I've owned and loved more after 1 year, than the day I bought it..instead of slowly getting bored/accustomed to it, the love just grows[emoji12][emoji1417].

I'm glad you found us here!

Sent from a NiPhone, using auto-correct to eff things up with Tapatalk

#21 ·
Thanks!

I've been saying since 2013 that we're now in a national market for FJ's, but so many people just look at what they can buy locally. Plane tickets are cheap when you're talking about a ~$28K+ car :rofl:

I did the same thing last year with an '11 Lexus GS460. Flew to Augusta from Denver on a Friday night red-eye, and had it home by Sunday 8PM. Kansas is entirely too wide for no good reason :rofl:. That was a long weekend, but the car is so worth it over the horde of AWD GS350's I'd have to consider here in Denver. I drive it almost every day.

FJ Summit 2017! Try to make it!

Welcome Javier, great to have you :rocker:
Thanks! I couldn't agree more with your point on national searches. I'm more than happy to travel to get the vehicle I want... Honestly, the fact that it was in Montana was part of the allure, and I would ABSOLUTELY do it again if I had to do it all over. Just an unforgettable trip through some of the best America has to offer. I feel you on Kansas though - the wife and I drove through Kansas a few times and we DEFINITELY agree with you!

I'll try to make it to FJ Summit, thanks for the heads up!

#20 ·
My story is a little different than most - I've been searching for a 2014 4WD Magma FJ with one owner, no accident history, and convenience package with under 40K miles for a few months, and one popped up within my price target in Ronan, Montana. I live in New Haven, Connecticut. I've bought cars far away like this before, but this would be my longest trip for a car yet (my Lexus IS350 I bought in Dallas, and drove home to Los Angeles. Before that I bought a 2001 Silverado Z71 in Dallas and drove that home to New Orleans).
I've been saying since 2013 that we're now in a national market for FJ's, but so many people just look at what they can buy locally. Plane tickets are cheap when you're talking about a ~$28K+ car :rofl:

I did the same thing last year with an '11 Lexus GS460. Flew to Augusta from Denver on a Friday night red-eye, and had it home by Sunday 8PM. Kansas is entirely too wide for no good reason :rofl:. That was a long weekend, but the car is so worth it over the horde of AWD GS350's I'd have to consider here in Denver. I drive it almost every day.

Sooooo, once I had all my questions answered I decided to make an adventure out of it - I had never been to Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, etc... So I booked a flight to Glacier Park International Airport in Montana and began a 2,500 mile return trip home.
FJ Summit 2017! Try to make it!

Welcome Javier, great to have you :rocker:

#25 ·
Gracias Señor!

p.s. geaux tigers?

If I've got that right, I grew up in death valley catching field goal practice. My dad used to usher the games.
You got it! That's cool about you and your dad - I try to get back to Death Valley at least once a year. GEAUX TIGERS!

Reactions: jimmy-buffett
#31 ·
Thanks! I loved it out there - already planning a trip back to MT, WY, and SD next year with the wife.

#33 ·
I really like that color on an FJ. Ill bet it doesnt show the pin stripes quite as well as a black one does. :)
Welcome from SoCal.

Reactions: javylsu
#34 ·
^Thank you both! The orange does seem to hide the pinstripes pretty well...

#35 ·
Great looking rig!
Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story. I cant think of a better way to get to know the FJ.
I might have to pick your brain if i ever get around to picking up that IS-F that has been on my list for a while. :)

Welcome to our community, lots of great people here.

#36 ·
Thanks, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, I've worked on a few IS-Fs in the past years.

Reactions: Solid E
#37 ·
Javier, we must have been just behind you - driving from Yellowstone to home (in NC) the last week in July, the 28th/29th/30th! We did a 2 week road trip, taking in the FJ Summit and the San Juan mountains of Colorado the week of July 18th, then doing Glacier Ntl Park, Yellowstone, Badlands, and Mt Rushmore the week after that!

So go ahead and start planning a trip to the 2017 FJ Summit, and get a fast internet connection so you can register the second it opens! Look up Black Bear pass on youtube, and maybe you'll have the same experience I did:
Watch video first time: "No way I would do that!"
Watch video second time: "I've GOT to do that!"

I've done 2 FJ Summits now and we're hoping we can afford to go back next year!

#38 ·
The trip back from Montana really was one of the coolest things I've ever done. I would leave to do it again IMMEDIATELY if I could.

2017 FJ Summit sounds awesome - I'll take any excuse to spend time in the FJ on a road trip, especially out west!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.