Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Finally getting an FJ

1K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  mops 
#1 ·
Hey All—

I'm excited to join you guys! Love this community! I've wanted an FJ for a long time and after many years of self control, I'm finally ditching the 2005 220,000 mi Honda CR-V I've had for 12 years. After some searching I found a great FJ in NY and put a deposit down. And I'll take delivery... just as soon as I finish hacking my way through the gauntlet of the Massachusetts RMV out-of-state reg/title process.

It's a 2011 with nearly all the options as far as I can tell, ~80,000 mi, seems in nice shape, drove great. Here she is:

The wait is killing me! I've made it this far, though, so...

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!

#4 ·
Congrats!

Welcome to the forum!

:cheers:

#16 ·
Welcome aboard!

#18 ·
Welcome from Georgia!

#21 ·
Welcome from MA neighbour :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Well, the buying out-of-state really is uniquely difficult in MA, so beware of that. MA is possibly the only state that doesn't recognize temporary transit license plates. So that's meant a lot of driving back and forth for me in order to get all the paperwork straightened out and before I can take delivery of the car. I arranged the sale one day, then set up the insurance in Mass (the RMV-1 form is supposed to be filled out by insurance, not you/the buyer... Learned that), then I went back to complete the sale. Now I'm going to the DMV to get my title and plates a I can drive back down to NY and take delivery. It's been a little surreal to say the least!

All that said, I'm getting exactly the FJ I want, so it will ultimately be worth it. But my advice would be to try to find something in-state, if you can.

Beyond that, the big thing I've learned is that if you're working with a dealership, they tend not to know a lot about FJs specifically, so I ended up answering most questions for myself when I saw the vehicle in person. Big thing I'd say to look for is evidence that the car got a lot of off road use. It's easy to tell if it's been heavily modified and they're obviously more than cosmetic mods, but if the car is mostly stock it can be harder to tell. Check underneath the car for scrapes and dents due to rocks and the like. It can also be telling to pop the rear window, where gunk can collect between the overhang of the window and the gasket. They tend to miss that when they clean the car at the dealership.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope that helps and hope you guys find your FJ!

#23 ·
Welcome

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.