Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2012 Aux Light Wiring

18K views 69 replies 15 participants last post by  lpswim 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the 2012 FJ Cruiser comes 'pre-wired' for the aux lights mounted on the front bumper?

I just bought a 2012 used Iceberg FJ with 12K miles. I'll be the first to say I'm a noob at modding! Looking to keep it stock looking at first. Any help is awesome.

Thanks

#4 ·
#7 ·
I think that is the ambient temp sensor, at least when I put on my front bumper, that is what was connect to the hood latch support bracket.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the input.. I am taking my time and researching/gathering parts.. a few questions.. I have mostly everything, just have to stop at radioshack or autozone and get some t-tap connectors and a 15A fuse.

My (1st) real questions is about the bumper brackets. Toyota has a "stop sell" on them.. meaning they won't sell them. :| I know I can order them online from Auxiliary Driving Lights Bracket PT297-35062

Does anyone know what this consists of? Does this include the support bar for under the bumper?

My (2nd) question is about the 'pigtails'. I've been searching around here and came up with this part number PT82998-12340.. but when i search the part number it just looks like this Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Sumitomo » Sumitomo TS / SL Female Terminal 0.5 - 1.25 mm2 ( 20 - 16 AWG ) (courtesy of Buckwheat's post)
Clearly this looks like just a connector and I would have to attach wiring to it? Are there pigtails out there that come prewired? etc etc.. I am installing the Hella lights that "originally" came on one version of the FJ..

Thanks in advance for the help

The forum rocks ! :rocker:

I spend hours reading this stuff, dreaming that one day i'll hit the lotto and be able to mod like you guys do!:cheers:

EDIT: the pigtail i am referring to can be seen on these lights.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2013-T...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cbe59952&vxp=mtr
They connect right into the factory harness..

#16 · (Edited)
Here are links I found to the installation instructions and recall instructions:

2007 Installation Instructions

Recall

From back when I was looking into them for my 2008, @Dynamo wrote:
(Link to original post)
I know this thread is a little old but I was able to get all of the individual parts (except the lights) this past week from trdsparks.com. The part numbers I got were:

PT297-35070-AS - Aux light switch
PT297-35070-SH - Aux light switch harness
PT297-35070-LH - Lamp harness
PT297-89016 - Aux light relay
PT297-35062 - Aux light bumper brackets

For the lights I just got the Hella 500's. I also got some weatherpack connectors to be able to mate the lights to the harness as I wanted to be able to unplug them if needed (versus soldering them together). The 2013 FJ's are still wired to accept the Aux light kit. I'm waiting on the bumper brackets but I already got the switch & harnesses installed and everything worked when I did a function check.
Those brackets would now be replaced by the parts above:
New brackets: PT591-35141-RH and LH
The full recall kit: PT591-35140 (includes brackets, dim bulbs, and bolts or something)

Now I'm thinking about ordering all this stuff so I'm ready to go on my 2014. Can anyone confirm if the 2014 is still pre-wired?

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks Markarian - as for the weatherpack connectors.. I'm thinking the connectors that are on the OEM harness (p/n PT297-35070 LH) is the WPS-2 12010973 .. so the mate to that is the WPT-2 12015792 ?

Can anyone verify this?

As for the under the bumper bracket parts - on my 2012 at least.. there is metal backing present .. so im not thinking the extra support is not needed.

EDIT: http://www.whiteproducts.com/connectors.shtml

2nd Edit : forget about this post.. idk what i was thinking!! Maybe these are the p/n 82163-35070 and 82163-35080??

#31 ·
Thanks Markarian - as for the weatherpack connectors.. I'm thinking the connectors that are on the OEM harness (p/n PT297-35070 LH) is the WPS-2 12010973 .. so the mate to that is the WPT-2 12015792 ?

Can anyone verify this?

As for the under the bumper bracket parts - on my 2012 at least.. there is metal backing present .. so im not thinking the extra support is not needed.

EDIT: Weather Pack Connectors | Weatherpack Connectors | Nylon Connectors

2nd Edit : forget about this post.. idk what i was thinking!! Maybe these are the p/n 82163-35070 and 82163-35080??
The bumper bracket ties the metal under the bumper to the center vertical support. It has threaded inserts that the bolts for the light brackets attach to. While you could probably survive without the bumper bracket I would bet that your lights would wobble a bit without the extra support. Plus, if you are wanting to be as stock as possible the bumper bracket was part of the OEM kit.

Even the PIAA kit has braces that help support the lights, just FYI.

#24 ·
Markarian- got to the dealership too late. Will be going on Monday after work.

Billy- I'm not looking for the harness.. I'm looking for the part that plugs into the harness from the lights by the grill. I bought hella 500s off amazon and they didn't come with the wired plugs. So I've been looking all over for the p/n of the male plug. I didn't want to cut off the connectors and put on other ones (like some people opted to do)

#26 ·
Alright so i'm calling for the electrical gurus.. I've been going back and forth with the toyota dealer parts guys.. theyre really starting to get under my skin.. I'm talking about all factory OEM parts and i've got their heads spinning.

Can someone verify that the Hella 500s were used for the stock Aux driving lights (at one point in time)?

Can someone please also tell me that I wont torch my car if I connect the Hella 500s to my factory harness..

And can someone point me in the direction where i can get the 2 pin connectors that go into the factory harness.. I feel like the dealership is going to be a dead end.

Thanks
-Lpswim

#28 ·
Thanks andyknas - for some reason (maybe this being my first mod - well adding to a car) i want to keep it as stock as possible (warranty? ocd? first car i bought myself?). I'm really trying to find the connectors to the factory harness. I dont think i could cut off the factory ones and add different ones to them. :|

#29 ·
I could be wrong, but I think you're reading too much into this install. Have you seen this thread?

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/60591-bumper-mounted-foglights.html

For what you're trying to achieve, you can pick up a PIAA (or just about any other for that matter - shop for cheaper) 12-volt relay kit and have the install done inside of 60 minutes...

http://www.amazon.com/Piaa-34260-PIAA-Wiring-Harness/dp/B00067BX3A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406163165&sr=8-3&keywords=PIAA+Wiring+harness

Use the OEM switch if it's there, or better yet buy any aftermarket cool blue zombie switch you want that fits the switch bank in the cabin. If you want pigtails at the lights for later removal, buy them at any auto parts store for $5. All you're looking at doing is poking wire through the existing wiring harness hole in the firewall on the driver's side. You'd be amazed at how much wire I've poked through there :lol:

Just disconnect the battery before you do any horsing around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.