Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

On_Board_Air Switches?

10K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  rcbaughn 
#1 ·
This seems like a dang good option for those not wanting to mess with wiring up a OEM switch to work without the high beams and such and not spend a whole lot on the wiring harness too.

Anyone have any experience with these switches though? They have some cool designs too, Zombie Targeting, Bunny Burners, etc. Here's a link -

OEM Style Fog Switch

See less See more
#2 ·
I wish that guy who bought ones of these would chime in. He bought a "Bunny Burner" labeled switch and was going to report back on how it worked out, but I never saw anything past that.

#4 ·
Thanks man, I am going to order as soon as they come back into stock. I want the exact switch you have there for my light bar, but that design is 4 weeks out from coming back in stock. I am willing to wait I guess, but it sucks they can't get them in faster.

#7 ·
They just emailed me and said they have a new wiring diagram. Attached. But what is a 1 amp diode?

I have the lights currently running through the normal relay and fused set up.

Attachments

#8 ·
Anyone have any experience with these switches though?
^
rc I have experience with their switches. I have wired up two. They wired correctly the first time and I have had no issues.

:bigthumb:

#9 · (Edited)
This is odd I know to ask, but what color do the factory switches light up? Is it a green? Or white? I am red/green colorblind and I can not tell for the life of me. I want to make sure I get the right color.

EDIT**** The switch I want is back in stock! Will this color on these two switches match the OEM ones as far as LED color goes?

Here is their green version if in fact the OEM switches light up green, but I think the two previous ones match based on my very poor colorblind vision. LOL.

#12 ·
This is odd I know to ask, but what color do the factory switches light up? Is it a green? Or white? I am red/green colorblind and I can not tell for the life of me. I want to make sure I get the right color.
rc,

Here is a pic of the amber I installed:

[/URL][/IMG]

You may not be able to tell but it's a balls on match to the factory switch when lit !!

#10 ·
OEM is like orange amber. So the top two pics of your show orange for the wording and green for the diagram.

I got my switch yesterday and I purchased all orange to match OEM. I'm going to install today if I can figure out my current 3 wire black, blue, white switch to this new 4 wire switch.

#11 · (Edited)
Oh, so the OEM ones light up an orange color? I'll email them about this if so. Thank you. God it sucks being color blind. Thank God for you guys and your good eyesight. LOL, but for real.

P.S. - Did you find them like that on eBay BTW, or did you have to specify to them in an extra email/message that you wanted the switch to be all orange?

#13 ·
Great, I emailed them to see about getting an all orange switch. Didn't have any on eBay I could find.

Thanks a ton for the help man, you've made my mind up on pulling the trigger on these!

#14 ·
I installed mine, perfect fit and match. I had to pull out the relay to see what the black, blue, white wires ran from my small round 3 wire switch and matched them up to the 4 wire AOB harness, and snapped the new switch in. Perfect fit and matches OEM.

I'll be buying more of these in the future.

#15 ·
#16 · (Edited)
So these are them? Last time I'll ask, just don't want to return anything. Thanks for all the help, I'll say again how bad color blindness sucks and no one in my family cares enough to help with FJ stuff.

"Zombie Lights" Link

"Fog Lights" Link

#18 ·
^
For sure !! :cheers:

#19 ·
Thank you so much fellas! They should be here in a few days according to the eBay tracking number. Thanks again for all the color help, couldn't have done it without y'all! :cheers:

#20 ·
Where do you guys plan on getting the illumination for the lower part of the switches? I am wondering about that. I know the emblem will light up when the switch is on, but I was wondering where you would tap into for the lower part to light up when the parking lights/headlights are on.

There may be a good thread on this already, but I can't seem to find it with Google search or forum search.

#21 ·
RC,

If you can wait a day of two I'll have mine apart and will let you know what I tapped to get the illumination. I ordered a couple of replacement switches and will be installing them.

I believe I used a volt meter and and checked each wire on a adjoining factory switch. When I got 12V with the headlight switch on and nothing when it was off I had the correct wire. Just can't remember what color it was, cause I am old and forgetful !!! :grin

#22 ·
#23 ·
I found this diagram of an Air on Board switch online, but I do not want to have my lights tied to the High Beams being on, I want to be able to turn them on as long as the ignition switched is turned on. Would I just grab a ignition switched fuse blank under the dash with a fuse tap and run it to the green/yellow wire instead of the High Beam wire?

#25 · (Edited)
Great, if and when I order them I'll do it like that. Now I have a plan nailed down for the future.

I do dread tearing all the console out to get to the back of the switch panel. Be a lot easier if you could get to the wires without removal but I highly doubt you can.

#26 ·
Just wondering if you tore into the console to install the new switches? I'm thinking of doing the same but am hesitant that I may create new squeaks and rattles or something might not go back together correctly. Did you encounter any issues?

#27 ·
I just put 3 of them in the other day. I used the illumination wire from the stereo harness. I'm also running a Pioneer stereo, so I knew that I needed to tap into the orange wire. It works great.

#28 ·
I tried to get a picture of them illuminated, they are not as bright as I would have liked them to be. Also this picture is pretty crappy, iPhone pic, they look better in "real life."

#29 ·
Thanks for the pictures, and no I haven't installed yet. I am waiting on Muvovr to see how he put his in. He said he would put up some pictures and tell how he wired his when he gets some free time.

#30 ·
Cory,

Still no progress on your needs. I remember taking my "Probe" circuit tester.

[/URL][/IMG]

and checking each wire on the factory switch. When I got a positive reading with the headlight switch on I knew I had the correct wire. I just haven't had time to dig into the dash like I promised.

Hope everything has worked out with the care package I send.

:cheers:

#31 ·
It worked out beautifully my friend, and that's fine on the wiring information, one day I'll get out there and test around. I have one that has a little light bulb in it but it can be a pain to get to work correctly. Grounding it properly proves tough for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.