Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

How to Wire My Roof and Wing Lights to Swtch On with High Beams?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Iconic_ 
#1 ·
Hi all......
I recently installed the OEM air dam and with lights and also have the Rostra front bumper wing light kit installed. I want to be able to power the roof lights and the driving beams from the Rostra kit from my high beams: so if the panel switch is in the on position and I hit my brights these lights will come on as well.

I would pay to have someone good do the job, if I could get it done reasonably, or tackle it myself, if I could find some solid directions. My usual go-to guys—Automotve Concepts in Minneapolis—haven't responded back on this, so I don't think they're interested in the job.

Can anyone either recommend a good shop in the Twin Cities (or northern MN, where I live) who could do the job right or point me towards a solid how-to?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I know it's not what you are looking for, but it's an option some of us were discussing a while back on the faux hood vent/light thread. Use your left foot on a dead pedal switch to turn on aux. lights thereby keeping both hands on the wheel & eyes on the road during extreme driving conditions such as you experience in your state.

JEGS Dimmer Switches |

#6 · (Edited)
Hi all......
I recently installed the OEM air dam and with lights and also have the Rostra front bumper wing light kit installed. I want to be able to power the roof lights and the driving beams from the Rostra kit from my high beams: so if the panel switch is in the on position and I hit my brights these lights will come on as well.

snip.....

Thanks.
With your 2013 TT there are two additional lighting circuits included with the factory wiring harness. Each circuit uses different hardware and needs another wiring harness or two to complete.

I'm going by memory - the lights with the air dam are called offroad, the ones for the front are completely separate and are called auxiliary.

The offroad lights turn on (if the switch is turned on) as soon as the headlights are turned on. The auxiliary turn on (if that switch is turned on) only if the high beams are turned on.

Each circuit has it's own relay and fuse in the box under the hood.

I went through this recently. My FJ came with the air dam lights and I wanted to add the additional lights to my grille bars.

If you go with the OEM configuration, only the auxiliary will come on with the high beam, but the offroad stay on with your headlights. Driving down a dark country road late at night with everything on makes for a great light show, but as others have mentioned the air dam lights are not legal for highway use - they tend to blind other drivers.

If you need part numbers for wiring harnesses, switches or installation help let us know.

You can make the air dam or auxiliary lights do something else, but what I've described îs how the system was designed.

With the OEM harnesses and switches it's something that anyone reasonably handy can do. If pulling the console out and then the section with the switches doesn't bother you, you're good to go - there's a lot of detailed instructions on this site.

Note that you don't need to pull your shift knobs. The transmission knob can fit through the the center console section and the transfer case knob can stay in place. You do need to flip the center console up or on its side so that the rectangular bottom frame for the transfer case "leather" boot can be snapped out of the center console retaining plastic clips.

#7 ·
To do it yourself you need to understand how basic switching circuits work.
Using your high beam circuit to trigger this can be done easily if you know the circuits of the FJ. If you don't, find some help.

Do you have any 4WD shops in the area? Even if they work on Jeeps they know the lighting circuits and might be able to help.

#8 ·
Thanks StephenJK.

I used the built-in OEM wire harness for the roof lights and the harness Rostra supplied for the wing lights.

I have heard the way to do this is with an add-a circuit at the fuse block. Don't have a wiring diagram or step-by-step instructions, so I can't get after it myself. Am still looking for a shop who has the know-how.

BTW: I never run the roof lights on the street.....just on my road, which is remote! (Though I'd love to be able to occasionally flash 'em at friends with my high-beam flashers.) ;)

#10 ·
That's right, Iconic. I want them to come on only when the high beams are on and the individual switches are also on.

#12 ·
What floppyD said, but to clarify I would use a fuse tap in the fuse box under the hood under High Beams to power the trigger to a relay. I have this exact setup with my fog lights fuse tapped to low beams so they can only come on with low beams and be street legal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.