Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Idea for 7' headlights

8K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Gus-Gus 
#1 ·
hi all, so this is my first post, other than intro., sorry in advance if I'm missing anything.

So i have successfully installed 7" Truck-lite, i know other have also but this is my take on it since there are very few threads on this subject. (i didn't find many) but with this method you can install most 7" headlights.

I bought a new set of headlights and heated them open, then i removed the light bulb protector in the middle. i placed the 7" headlight within the projector are and used it as a base. The tricky part is actually attaching the headlight to the projector cup. I tried different things but in the end the easiest most stable was a silicone adhesive, is dries clear, easily dissolves back to a gel when sprayed with WD-40, also(most important) doesn't dry to a rigid state, it remains flexible to absorb vibration.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Very interesting. I was like, WTH is a 7 foot headlight lol. How does the light look at night? I've never seen that headlight before. LED?

#5 ·
Very nice. Yeah there are not many current threads on it at all so this is quite helpful.

Maybe add some info on wiring? Do the brights work properly? Did you disable the DRLs?

#6 ·
#7 ·
i still don't know how to quote people on here. but...

They are TruckLites, just older, they're their first attempt at LED lights, they are currently used by U.S. military.

The light output on these is less than optimal, i will try to get some picture for you guys, that being said i did this more of an experiment to learn how i could put any 7" headlight on the FJ.

I will try to take some pictures at night. i'm thinking of replacing these with something newer and better, but so far i think i got a good "system" for placing 7" headlights on the FJ. Not very bolt on but a very simple process, for me.

So far i've had them on for 2 weeks and have had no problems, if a removal or replacement is needed all you would have to do is cut the silicone with an exact knife and clean everything with WD-40, and repeat the process with other headlights.

They are plug and play when it comes to the wiring and there is no flicker or anything, they simply don't work with the DRLs, reason being is that less voltage is inputed to the OEM lights when in DRL, these only work with 12v.

#15 · (Edited)
Here are the pictures you guys wanted of the lights at night. one is with the low and the other high. The ones against a wall, i was about 8ft away from said wall. I also included some that i took without the grill.

Like i said, the light pattern is less than optimal, the picture actually helps these lights out a bit. If you look closely the light pattern on these is more like "blobs" with a hotspot right on the middle, rather than a bright well spread light through the width of the vehicle. but once again these were experimental to see how easy i could add different headlights, and they were free, i wouldn't honestly recommend these to no one for driving lights

Attachments

#17 ·
Thanks for posting the night pics. I saw similar LED headlights on a jeep and the output was the same.

#18 ·
It looks pretty sweet for oncoming traffic(when not glaring into their faces of course), I actually think they're the best/most unique 7" looking lights out there. Bunch of LEDs all together, people really seem to like them. Actually serving a purpose, not much, great for aux lights tho.

#19 ·
For anyone interested to know, it's been more than a year now since I wrote this thread and my lights are still on like the first day. I have driven about 15-20k miles and they're great. I go "light" off roading every weekend, mostly trails, and they're still stick on there like OEM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.