Headlight of the month! What are you using? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Headlight of the month! What are you using?

What is everyone using for their headlight bulbs right now? I'm looking to replace my stock bulbs and want to see what is popular right now! Halogen, LED, HID.... what's your flavor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Calvary Blue
Automatic - 4WD
White TT Ultimate White Grill
Black TT parts all around
ARB 1200 Awning with Fourtreks Mounts
Fourtreks Mounts for shovel and Hi-Lift
Kenwood TM-V71A Ham Radio
Comet SSB 5 mounted on drilled out All Pro Bandi Mount

"Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters" - DJM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Re: Headlight of the month! What are you using?

I am running the PIAA Xtreme Whites, and I have been happy with them, especially over the OEM bulbs. I have researched all the alternatives, and here are my thoughts:

LED bulbs scatter light and create glare. You have to point the headlights down a ways, but you can't get rid of it all. Also, LED bulbs do not create enough heat to melt snow off the lenses, creating a dangerous situation.

HID bulbs in the stock buckets makes the glare even worse at the high output that those kits provide.

Therefore, the only two options for me is using halogen bulbs at lower than 4200K, or doing a full HID projector retrofit with Morimoto gear. I don't know if that would have the same problem in the snow however, as the heat would be contained inside the projector housing. However, it is the only way to achieve perfect cutoff of the beam.

To avoid all that, I mounted Diode Dynamics SS6 light bars in the lower grille, and that acts as a supplement to my halogens, and as kick ass DRL. Only problem is the crisp 6000K SS6 bars clash with the white / yellowish light of the halogens. Oh well!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Philips X-treme Vision

-A little brighter than stock
-A little whiter in color than stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I kind of thought I'd be sticking with halogens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Calvary Blue
Automatic - 4WD

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:43 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Piaa Xtremes - 1.5 years, with dlr's. Very happy with the performance/cost they provide. When the other technologies get better, reliable and plug/play I'll revisit. The PIAA's were set it and forget it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rudeestyle-me like'um buffalo

2012 FJ-Cavalry Blue
1992 Land Cruiser-white (sold)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jcl78 previously said: View Post
I am running the PIAA Xtreme Whites, and I have been happy with them, especially over the OEM bulbs. I have researched all the alternatives, and here are my thoughts:

LED bulbs scatter light and create glare. You have to point the headlights down a ways, but you can't get rid of it all. Also, LED bulbs do not create enough heat to melt snow off the lenses, creating a dangerous situation.

HID bulbs in the stock buckets makes the glare even worse at the high output that those kits provide.

Therefore, the only two options for me is using halogen bulbs at lower than 4200K, or doing a full HID projector retrofit with Morimoto gear. I don't know if that would have the same problem in the snow however, as the heat would be contained inside the projector housing. However, it is the only way to achieve perfect cutoff of the beam.

To avoid all that, I mounted Diode Dynamics SS6 light bars in the lower grille, and that acts as a supplement to my halogens, and as kick ass DRL. Only problem is the crisp 6000K SS6 bars clash with the white / yellowish light of the halogens. Oh well!
I know the Diode Dynamics SS6 is supposed to be ok for on-road use (based on their website), but from their pictures it also has glare comparable to LED or HID in a stock housing. Can you post some night shots showing the look on a street, against a wall, and head on? I would like to use their amber bar to replace the generic ones I have on.

Thanks!

2012 TT 6MT: ICON Extended Travel Coil Overs, Icon Rear Lift, Total Chaos UCAs, MetalTech Rear LCAs, OPOR LCA Skids, Skyjacker Links, Richochet/All Pro Skid Plates, Cooper STT Pro 285/75/16, Flowmaster 50 Series, TRD Intake Element, Freedom Windows, Bandi CB Mount (for CB and HAM), 55W 5000k HIDs, 24-inch LED Light Bar and LED Amber Cube Fog Lights (Grill), Interior Zombie Lights.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Are these the right PIAAs? PIAA 15224 H4 (9003 / HB2) Xtreme White Plus High Performance Halogen Bulb, (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00067BVDC..._Hdo8yb9V41NHE

2012 Calvary Blue
Automatic - 4WD

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:16 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)

GE Nighthawk. They are bright, nice cutoff and just a slight blue tint. They have lasted longer than the Hella or that other one by Sylvannia
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:24 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Garage
Headlight of the month! What are you using?

I settled on doing an HID bixenon projector install after trying LED bulbs. I was happy with how bright the LED bulbs were, but it takes a lot of messing around to get them aimed right..if the bulbs were aimed a little too high, then you blind other drivers, and your high beam will wash out and only light tree tops and the sky. If you fiddle enough, you can get them aimed right and they work great..but they fail randomly. Still better than the halogens for brightness.
I bit the bullet and did the bixenon retrofit after my LEDs gave up the ghost, and this was one of the best( simple )mod I've done to my FJ. My cutoff line is a few inches lower than the side windows on a Hyundai Elantra, so blinding people is a thing of the past, yet they cast the light further ahead than properly aimed halogens and LED bulbs.

This is what I recommend if upgrading headlights. My kit cost me about $130CDN, shipped. It included everything to finish the job( bixenon projectors, 2 angel eyes halos, 2 devil eyes halos for the lenses, bulbs, ballasts, and wiring harness. That's half the price of 2 Lifetime LED bulbs.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by FatJohnson; 04-14-2017 at 09:28 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FatJohnson previously said: View Post
I settled on doing an HID bixenon projector install after trying LED bulbs. I was happy with how bright the LED bulbs were, but it takes a lot of messing around to get them aimed right..if the bulbs were aimed a little too high, then you blind other drivers, and your high beam will wash out and only light tree tops and the sky. If you fiddle enough, you can get them aimed right and they work great..but they fail randomly. Still better than the halogens for brightness.
I bit the bullet and did the bixenon retrofit after my LEDs gave up the ghost, and this was one of the best( simple )mod I've done to my FJ. My cutoff line is a few inches lower than the side windows on a Hyundai Elantra, so blinding people is a thing of the past, yet they cast the light further ahead than properly aimed halogens and LED bulbs.

This is what I recommend if upgrading headlights. My kit cost me about $130CDN, shipped. It included everything to finish the job( bixenon projectors, 2 angel eyes halos, 2 devil eyes halos for the lenses, bulbs, ballasts, and wiring harness. That's half the price of 2 Lifetime LED bulbs.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

Link?

2012 Calvary Blue
Automatic - 4WD

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical > Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.