Missing grease zerk, should I be worried? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.
Sponsored by:

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Regular

Member Number: 20717
Unhappy Missing grease zerk, should I be worried?

So I finally got around to greasing the chasis on my own today. Found 5 out of 6 zerks no problem. Where's #6? Come to find out the propeller sliding shaft yoke zerk on the rear was gone. Just an empty threaded hole. Instinctively, I replaced it and pumped a couple squirts of grease (Amsoil Syn Racing). But now I'm wondering if I should be worried or not... 40,000 miles, and I have no clue how long this thing has been missing.

I also changed the front and rear differential oil. Was very easy thanks to this forum. Spark plugs and transfer case are next.

Thanks for any input or opinions,
-Greg
07 FJC Auto. 4.56 Nitro Gears, ARB Front Locker, ATRAC. Rear Locker. ARB Front Bumper, Smittybilt winch. Old Man Emu Heavies up front, 3 inch Rough Country rear. Cobra 29 LTD Bluetooth with Bandi mount. 285/75/16 Pro Comp Extreme MT2's. 60" Hi-Lift Jack. Outrider Rear Diff & Suspension Armor. Blacked out. A few stickers.

86 Toyota FJ60 3" OME lift, 33" Hankook M/T's on FJ rims.

96 Lexus LX450 Locked, lifted, bumpers, sliders

Gig'em Aggies '94, '98
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 4994
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Missing grease zerk, should I be worried?

The bad news is, without the zerk in place you were pumping grease out of your slip joint every time it expanded and contracted (basically every time you went over a bump or an obstacle). The good news is, the slip yokes don't need very much grease so there's probably no real harm done. The splines wouldn't wear any faster without grease, the grease just keeps them from rusting and makes sure they slip easy. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.
High Desert Cruisers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 8968

A couple of squirts into the two yoke zerks is all you want to do, this way you won't risk hydrolock. The four u-joints cant be greased until clean grease can be seen oozing from the joint. I wouldn't worry too much about the missing zerk, just grease it again after a few hundred miles, one or two pumps, no more.
TLCA #20400
2008 AT 4x4 Voodoo Blue FJ with just enough trail pin-striping

"History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier." -Colin Powell

"I do not love the sword for it's brightness or the arrow for it's swiftness. I love only that which they defend." -Faramir from The Lord Of The Rings
Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 32805

40,000 miles is a long time without greasin up them zerks. I hit every time I do an oil change.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 15828

You will be fine. If there is a serious problem it will manifest before your warranty is up.

Just don't over grease the zerks as that will cause problems.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Regular

Member Number: 26159

Quote:
ridn dirty previously said: View Post
40,000 miles is a long time without greasin up them zerks. I hit every time I do an oil change.
Dito
Domello Front Bumper w/Warn VR10000
OME Heavy
Camburg UCAs

TLCA: 20101
Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 3066

hrmmm... all this doom and gloom.

I guess I might want to grease mine for the 1st time in 100K miles.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 15828

Quote:
CaliChaos previously said: View Post

Honestly I think Toyota says that so that if you service the vehicle yourself and bust a u-joint they can blame you and deny warranty.

I'm not expert but grease takes a long time to break down...I just did my first grease of these points at 56k, no problems here.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 8968

Quote:
rrjames previously said: View Post
Honestly I think Toyota says that so that if you service the vehicle yourself and bust a u-joint they can blame you and deny warranty.
The only way a company operating in the U.S. could deny warranty on self serviced items is if they provide all service labor and materials free of charge. Check this out, knowledge is power... Magnuson Moss Warranty Act
Especially Section 2304(c.) which reads:

"(c) Waiver of standards
The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance)."

So it's not just as simple as saying it, they have to PROVE it. Good luck on that one, Mr.
TLCA #20400
2008 AT 4x4 Voodoo Blue FJ with just enough trail pin-striping

"History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier." -Colin Powell

"I do not love the sword for it's brightness or the arrow for it's swiftness. I love only that which they defend." -Faramir from The Lord Of The Rings
Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 32805

Quote:
CaliChaos previously said: View Post

If you ever have to change out a joint could you measure the diameter of the needle bearings and the cups/trunnions vs a new joint and let us know your finding? Loss of lubrication is the most common reason joints fail. The needle bearing will corrode which causes a loss of material, thus, creating a clearance which should not exist.
Are the FJ's joints sealed units? At 100,000 miles would it not be wise to change em regardless if they were greased or not or at least inspect them? Are you experiencing any vibration problems? Does your FJ ever see water?
Good luck with the no grease thing.

Last edited by ridn dirty; 05-02-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.