Muffler Leaking - Is this just Condensation and a Weep Hole? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Re: Muffler Leaking - Is this just Condensation and a Weep Hole?

Quote:
Cogen Man previously said: View Post
Now thats a lot of research. Learned something here. I love Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers. If it is a weep hole then you're good. Still say it's a stone wack. But anyway you now have your own homemade weeper hole so don't fix it.
Ha ha, ya, I could think about it like that, but if water's not supposed to be coming out right there, then I want to fix it. I mean, even if they do have a weep hole in the thing somewhere, if this particular hole is from trail damage (and there are some obvious scratches right near it), then I'd rather patch it up I guess, and let the appropriately designed weep hole (if it even has one) do its thing if it ever needs to.

I guess the next thing to look into is the actual design of this particular muffler, and whether or not it has a weep hole, and whether or not this is it......and even then, even if this is the correct location of the weep hole, is there any sense in which a rock has damaged it and I should still think about repairing it back to original specifications?

Sheesh....I was really hoping it was just condensation coming from the AC unit or something like that.....this whole weep hole thing has almost got me weeping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Had a look at the can under my truck - no hole. I'm guessing you have the stock can fom the photo.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
#13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
RomaBoy previously said: View Post
The "internet"? IMHO, I've never seen a "factory weep hole" in any new muffler in all the years I've been wrenching.
Quote:
Cogen Man previously said: View Post
Muffler repair kit. Never heard of a weep hole in a exhaust system. Never seen one either.
Actually, drain holes are quite common in mufflers. Our FJs are no exception.

Think about the owner who drives a short distance every day where the exhaust system never gets up to temperature. Where would all the condensate go? That condensate is not straight water. It's got the products of combustion in it, acids that will help to corrode your exhaust from the inside out if not drained.

Get behind a new car on a cold morning and look at how much liquid condensate comes out of the exhaust. It's amazing to see little streams of water come out the exhaust as the vehicle accelerates away from a stop light.

The little drain hole in the muffler lets that condensate out. Nothing to worry about.

Integrated rear hitch receiver through a modified All-Pro rear bumper, Demello front bumper with Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Bilstein 5100 adjustables, Toytec rears with ProComps, Rasta front and center skids, Trail-Gear t-case skid, All-Pro high tuck tailpipe, Total Chaos Lower Link Skids, Harbor Freight hitch mounted disposable backup light, SCUBA mod...
#14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Catalyst

(Thread Starter)
Question Re: Muffler Leaking - Is this just Condensation and a Weep Hole?

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
Had a look at the can under my truck - no hole. I'm guessing you have the stock can fom the photo.
Ya, it's stock, but you know factories....they might use a part from one place in June, and then build the rest of the year with a part from another place.

So, just that alone doesn't mean it's not a weep hole. I will have to check on the actual make/model of the muffler that's on my rig.

Quote:
FJBinky previously said: View Post
Actually, drain holes are quite common in mufflers. Our FJs are no exception.

Think about the owner who drives a short distance every day where the exhaust system never gets up to temperature. Where would all the condensate go? That condensate is not straight water. It's got the products of combustion in it, acids that will help to corrode your exhaust from the inside out if not drained.

Get behind a new car on a cold morning and look at how much liquid condensate comes out of the exhaust. It's amazing to see little streams of water come out the exhaust as the vehicle accelerates away from a stop light.

The little drain hole in the muffler lets that condensate out. Nothing to worry about.
Indeed.
That makes sense because, it's my wife that usually drives the FJ these days (including yesterday), and she only drives like a mile and a half to work and back.

However, we've had the FJ for over 2.5 years and have never noticed this before. Could this be an unintended weep hole caused by a rock? ...and if it is, then shouldn't I patch it?
#15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
ocr14a previously said: View Post
Could this be an unintended weep hole caused by a rock? ...and if it is, then shouldn't I patch it?
Nope. You'll do more harm than good.

Integrated rear hitch receiver through a modified All-Pro rear bumper, Demello front bumper with Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Bilstein 5100 adjustables, Toytec rears with ProComps, Rasta front and center skids, Trail-Gear t-case skid, All-Pro high tuck tailpipe, Total Chaos Lower Link Skids, Harbor Freight hitch mounted disposable backup light, SCUBA mod...
#16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Run it till it pukes-then put a new one on! It's a muffler.
#17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Forum Veteran

I've got my old one that has seen about 5k or more road but you can have for $30 if you wanna come up into the hills a bit, or I can meet in Golden.

Brandon
TLCA# 20304
2008 FJC (SRTBUS) Trail Gear Rock Defense bumpers with TG8000 winch /Total Chaos lower and upper CA's with LCA cam replacements/ Icon front coil overs with res. and wraps, rear springs with VS shocks, adjustable panhard arm/ Timbrem bumpstops / All Pro Sway Bar Link 2.0, Spindle Gusset, High Clearance EX / Skyjacker rear sway bar link/ SleeOffRoad RLCA, BMC, brake line kit/ BudBuilt.Com Stainless Steel Front / OUTRIDER shock skids/ OvRox back seat tool box-Hi lift jack mount/ Bajaracks drop in/ ARB 2500 awning/ Rigid grill insert w/ HD D-series and TRD'd in spots with one more to go, unlocked but I'm o.k. with that and 285/70/17 BFG MT's........for now!
#18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Catalyst

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJBinky previously said: View Post
Nope. You'll do more harm than good.
Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
snafu58 previously said: View Post
Run it till it pukes-then put a new one on! It's a muffler.
Maybe so.

Quote:
SRTFJBUS previously said: View Post
I've got my old one that has seen about 5k or more road but you can have for $30 if you wanna come up into the hills a bit, or I can meet in Golden.
Well, after checking into this thing - to know for sure whether or not it has a factory weep hole, and whether or not that's where the water is coming out - if it turns out that I do need a replacement, I will definitely take yours for $30, and meeting in Golden would be platinum

Thanks, bud.

I'll try to get this checked out and get back to you soon.

#19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Run some JB weld along that seam after you wire brush it clean. Fixed a leaky spot on my exhaust. Or, you could actually weld it up.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Forum Veteran

Mighty Putty!

SonicFJ

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.