Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Check engine, VSC lights

30K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  ApacheFJ 
#1 ·
Driving into work this morning the check engine light comes on, then about 30 seconds later the vehicle skid light, VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights come on. I called my dealer and the earliest they can get me in is tomorrow, and was told as long as the lights aren't flashing it is ok to keep driving. I did change spark plugs and the engine air filter yesterday, and the battery was disconnected when I did the plugs. I had driven about 15 miles since the battery was reconnected before the dash lit up. I thought about disconnecting the battery in hopes the lights would go off, but I'm supposed to get an inspection on Saturday and don't want everything to show back up later in the week.

I stopped by a muffler shop in hopes of having them scan the computer but they didn't have the time. My plan now is to stop by Autozone and have them do the scan on my way home. I may stop by my dealer during lunch to see if there's a mechanic that can spare a couple minutes to do a scan.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
i also had the cel, vcs and other two lights come on. i as well have just changed my spark plugs. used my code reader and found two codes one for maf and the other vaf. went back over any and all connections no electrical connections or hoses loose. so i cleared out the codes and will update later

#4 ·
mine just did the same thing tonight. ENG light came on then the VSC and trac lights came on seconds after it. Any updates on this? Can I check codes w/o a scan tool? thanks for any help.

#5 ·
People,

I had this thing yesterday where all of a sudden, my check engine light started blinking, and the VSC OFF and VSC Trac lights came on, and the car started shaking mildly; kind of like when your spark plugs are misfiring. This morning I took it to the local Toyota dealership, and after their diagnostics, they told me that my Ignition Coil was misfiring and has to be replaced. But for the VSC OFF & VSC Trac, apparently their is some sort of computer fix (upgrade) for $62.99 which will take care of that. After doing a lot of research online on the VSC OFF & VSC Trac, I have come to the conclusion that these lights come on for no apparent reason anytime there is some issue which triggers the Check Engine sensor. I am still waiting on them to fix the issues, will see how it goes once they have finished the work.

Regards,
FZiaullah82

#7 ·
Many manufacturers turn on the traction control lights when a code sets. I think one reason is to just have more lights on in the dash as a warning. <G> Another reason is depending on the code part of the failsafe strategy includes disabling the traction control for safety reasons.

#6 ·
day two...lights are off. I didnt have time to get it looked at or do any more reading on it. seems all is well!! wohoooo!

#8 ·
ok I spoke too soon. my lights came back on after almost a week of driving with them off. I'll have to find a Autozone and have it checked

#10 ·
Same problem also. Ran all of the bad reg gas out, filled up with premium made sure cap was tight, then the lights went off within 30min-1hr right after. I'm not sure if it was the reg gas, but it was prob just the bad gas period from that particular station. I only filled up with premium because i was about to panic lol. I've been using regular gas for a year now.

#11 ·
I just had a trac light and check engine light come on today on the expressway about 2 mins after i started it up. I got the vehicle safely home but I'm not able to figure out what caused it. I think I'll get a scan at Autozone or something. ANy ideas?

#15 ·
I had the exact same problem. Also my gas mileage is terrible, as well. I took it to my local Autozone and they came back with the error P0051. It indicated a problem with the oxygen sensor heater control circuit low - bank 2 sensor 1. So I am replacing that sensor. Its on order, and I will have it tomorrow. I expect to be able to replace it Saturday, myself. I will post once done.

#13 ·
I will let you all know that I am having the same issues and am appreciating the input. The wife's vehicle is an FJ and I try to do what I can to save money, and I am usually pretty handy. It seems when these codes pop up on hers, it is usually colder outside. I am looking at other threads and they say there is a possible emission issue. I know on cold start ups sometimes the computer doesn't get the mixture right, and that can sometimes cause things to go awol and quirky. I would think this could also affect the 02 sensors that are in question, so if you guys are having some issues this could be a place to look. I know that 2 of them are heated, so if they were cold, I am wondering if that could have caused the issue to happen easier. I will let you know after this afternoon when I drive it some. I am a 2nd shifter so more people are out an about when I am running around.
She did just fill up so I will have to check the gas cap, but she didn't seem to think they had been on before. I am thinking she could have got a bad batch of gas, but am hoping not, we swapped vehicles for tomorrow so I can keep an eye on her ride.
I will keep you posted, thanks for all the great info! I hope I can also help contribute to the forum!

#14 ·
A bad charcoal canister will set off the 4 orange lights and disable the traction control too. I've been running like that for awhile now. I also had the gas cap problem quite awhile ago. I drove for a couple of days before the lights went out after tightening the cap back up.

#16 ·
had the same problem after i had changed my plugs , i rechecked everything i had done and found the wire going to the coil on the front driver's side spark plug was connected but not completely clicked back into place , pushed connector until it clicked into place and reconnected the negative lead to the battery and all is well , hope this helps , i knew it was something i had done and not a sensor or bad coil all of a sudden that would be too much of a coincidence , as usual logic prevailed lol. hope this helps to save someone a trip to a mechanic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.