Is a Valve Adjustment really necessary?? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is a Valve Adjustment really necessary??

Is a valve adjustment really necessary at some point?? Does the FJ have solid lifters?

Yikes!!! This thing has to last me more than 15 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Is a Valve Adjustment really necessary??

It doesn't have lifters, it has overhead cams, the bucket-type shims between the cam lobes and the valve stem. You can check the clearance with a feeler gauge, but to adjust the clearance you have to remove the appropriate cam shaft and replace the bucket shim(s).

Overhead cams with bucket shims will stay in spec for a long long time once they're set up right in the first place, because there is so little slop and essentially no moving parts between the cam and the valve. As a single point of reference, My valve clearances were all well within spec at 90,000 miles when they were checked as a side note to some warranty work. Same with my Sequoia when I replaced the timing belt at about the same mileage. I don't remember when the maintenance schedule says to check the valve clearances, but most people under semi-normal circumstances will not need to have them adjusted for well over 100,000 miles I would guess, and maybe not even then.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.