Techstream tool - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Techstream tool

Hi; I would like to "hack" the car and I read that with the "Techstream" tool, some cable interface (ODB2?) and a laptop one can access quite some functions and settings. Anybody has tried that? I've read of at least a guy on the internet that is "renting" the cable harness for cheap...

KE7JDE/IZ2GMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Techstream tool

the cable is made by mongoose but u also need the software or its useless it plugs into the usb drive u can buy a subscription to the software but is expensive i belive it is 1k+ but from ur word hack techstream will not allow u to alter any of the engine control specs lnly very breifly for testing purposes, or much of anything els for that matter.
what do u want to change

w

07 voodoo fj- 32 9.50 16 truxus mt, rear diff hack hella 500, demello sliders,rack mounted shovel/axe.

1985 gts celica- resto project
#3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Hi; what is your "rear diff hack"?

I have heard of a much cheaper cable than the moongoose called Tactrix Openport

As for the Techstream tool I heard there is a "trial" version or an option to use it for relatively cheap.

I would like to change, for example, the fact that when I press the unlock button on the remote it opens ALL doors.

KE7JDE/IZ2GMV
#4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
manoweb previously said: View Post
Hi; what is your "rear diff hack"?

I have heard of a much cheaper cable than the moongoose called Tactrix Openport

As for the Techstream tool I heard there is a "trial" version or an option to use it for relatively cheap.

I would like to change, for example, the fact that when I press the unlock button on the remote it opens ALL doors.
rear diif hacck is a mod that allows the use of th rear diff locker in 2wd or 4wd high and low range it is fun lol , i havent seen a trail version for the software but their may be i just use it at work, i havnt seen the tactrix cable.

if all u want to do is change door locks, wireless funtion etc just take it to the dealer they will change it for u we do it for free just takes a few mins.

07 voodoo fj- 32 9.50 16 truxus mt, rear diff hack hella 500, demello sliders,rack mounted shovel/axe.

1985 gts celica- resto project
#5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
07voodoo previously said: View Post
rear diif hacck is a mod that allows the use of th rear diff locker in 2wd or 4wd high and low range it is fun lol , i havent seen a trail version for the software but their may be i just use it at work, i havnt seen the tactrix cable.

if all u want to do is change door locks, wireless funtion etc just take it to the dealer they will change it for u we do it for free just takes a few mins.
A tactrix cable works, thats what I use for my Techstream lite for sidework.

And every dealer will be different. some charge (I would charge you) but it sounds like others dont...call around and get the best price.

also, if you do decide to buy Tech stream lite, BE CAREFUL and can undo, and do some damage if you start messing around in areas you dont know what they do.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Toyota_Tech previously said: View Post
And every dealer will be different. some charge (I would charge you) but it sounds like others dont...call around and get the best price.
Well if I knew a local dealer that answers to questions on this forum, I would give him business. Even better if it was a "side" job.

KE7JDE/IZ2GMV
#7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Forum Veteran

Feel free to ask me any questions you have while using it.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Forum Regular

what can you do with techstream lite ... diagnosing and code reading/clearing or full on ECU calibration?

2008 Sun Fusion
#9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM

"what can you do with techstream lite "
Everything that techstream does except reprogram with certian (usually new release) recalibrations. You would need to be inside of a dealer network to download recalibrations anyway. The acess they give us ( toyota certified technicians ) for use off network is pretty much a bare bones access.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
drvn4fun previously said: View Post
"what can you do with techstream lite "
Everything that techstream does except reprogram with certian (usually new release) recalibrations. You would need to be inside of a dealer network to download recalibrations anyway. The acess they give us ( toyota certified technicians ) for use off network is pretty much a bare bones access.
you dont have ANY accese to new cal id's unless you are a master or MDT. once you log into tis and it youre only an expert, you will not be able to Download the updated cal id's.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.