2011 auto transmission fluid change - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.
Sponsored by:

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Re: 2011 auto transmission fluid change

Quote:
1911 previously said: View Post
There isn't one, there is a fluid-level check plug in the bottom of the pan (not far from the drain plug and it looks just like it so be careful). Drive the the truck until fully warm, take out the check plug with the appropriate size Torx bit, and ATF should barely dribble out. If it doesn't, add the proper low-viscosity ATF through the fill plug hole on the passenger side of the transmission until it does.
As I was refilling mine, the fluid wasn't dribbling. It was a regular flow, as if it was the drain plug. It only did this after a certain point. No problems driving at all. I just want to make sure my levels are good. I'm just hesitant to remove the check plug again, in case it comes pouring out. I put back the same amount that I drained. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: 2011 auto transmission fluid change

Quote:
Greenbeard previously said: View Post
As I was refilling mine, the fluid wasn't dribbling. It was a regular flow, as if it was the drain plug. It only did this after a certain point. No problems driving at all. I just want to make sure my levels are good. I'm just hesitant to remove the check plug again, in case it comes pouring out. I put back the same amount that I drained. Any suggestions?
If you're absolutely certain you put the same amount in that came out, you're OK. You might be checking it a little too hot (the fluid will expand some when hot). But as long as you're using the level-check plug and not the drain plug, it's OK to let it drain until there's just a tiny dribble, again as long as the temperature is not too hot.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 09:59 PM

I used the Torx/hex plug.

I'd like to double-check. Is there harm in topping it off, just in case?
#24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
I used the Torx/hex plug.
Be careful, both the drain plug and the level-check plug ("overflow plug" in the FSM) are identical Torx-head plugs! The drain plug is at the rear of the tranny pan. The level-check plug is in the middle of the pan, on the passenger side.

Quote:
I'd like to double-check. Is there harm in topping it off, just in case?
There is no harm at all in topping it off; that's what the level-check plug is for, to make sure it isn't over or under-filled. Just be certain that you are using the overflow plug and not the drain plug instead!

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
1911 previously said: View Post
Be careful, both the drain plug and the level-check plug ("overflow plug" in the FSM) are identical Torx-head plugs! The drain plug is at the rear of the tranny pan. The level-check plug is in the middle of the pan, on the passenger side.

There is no harm at all in topping it off; that's what the level-check plug is for, to make sure it isn't over or under-filled. Just be certain that you are using the overflow plug and not the drain plug instead!
I've got a 5AT. There's a regular bolt (drain) and a Torx-head (level-check). Thanks!!!
#26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I'm getting ready to flush/fill my auto trans. What I want to know is why none of you guys never mention changing the trans filter. I read Jayman checked what he called a screen but to me it looks like the trans filter. Toyota calls the unit a baffle but Rockauto calls it a filter
Attached Images

Last edited by RomaBoy; 07-05-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: photo
#27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
RomaBoy previously said: View Post
I'm getting ready to flush/fill my auto trans. What I want to know is why none of you guys never mention changing the trans filter. I read Jayman checked what he called a screen but to me it looks like the trans filter. Toyota calls the unit a baffle but Rockauto calls it a filter
If you flip that picture over you will see a screen strainer on the other side. There is no fabric or media type filter like some transmissions have. So there is no need to change this screen.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, & Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs & Batt clamp - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Die Hard 850 - Kenwood DNX6980 Nav Radio - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

#28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 AM

The check plug has, "Check" stamped/etched/engraved on it. At least the one on my '08 does.
#29 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
I've got a 5AT. There's a regular bolt (drain) and a Torx-head (level-check). Thanks!!!
Same here, 04/07 build date. It makes sense that they use different plugs to avoid a costly mistake.

Bret
member of the 20%
Tropicalreflectionsdetailing.com
&
tropicalreps.com

2007 Ti, all the dealer goodies + K&N, OME suspension, FlowMaster, Nitto T.G.s 285 70 17

I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

-Thomas Jefferson
#30 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
jimmiee previously said: View Post
If you flip that picture over you will see a screen strainer on the other side. There is no fabric or media type filter like some transmissions have. So there is no need to change this screen.
Your efforts are best spent on the ATF and making sure the level is correct.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.