What power steering fluid - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What power steering fluid

So i know the manual says use Dexron ii or iii however i can't find that where i am.... What could i substitute for it? could i use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF?

2008 Sandstorm | 3 Inch lift | Fab Four Bumper| HID lights | Springtail M-PAC | TT Rock Rails |

In the works |Full Black out | Roof mounted lights |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: What power steering fluid

Quote:
Highwaystreets previously said: View Post
could i use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF?
Yes, and your truck will thank you for it. If you completely flush the power steering and re-fill it with synthetic ATF (like Mobil 1) you will notice a dramatic improvement.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
1911 previously said: View Post
Yes, and your truck will thank you for it. If you completely flush the power steering and re-fill it with synthetic ATF (like Mobil 1) you will notice a dramatic improvement.
thats awesome, thanks. I don't have time to do a full flush in the next 2 days as i'm going away, is it ok to top up with the synthetic and then do the flush when i get back?

2008 Sandstorm | 3 Inch lift | Fab Four Bumper| HID lights | Springtail M-PAC | TT Rock Rails |

#4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Highwaystreets previously said: View Post
thats awesome, thanks. I don't have time to do a full flush in the next 2 days as i'm going away, is it ok to top up with the synthetic and then do the flush when i get back?
Yes, Mobil 1 is compatible with all Dexron-type ATF. Top up as much/long as you want, if you're not having any other power steering problems.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Yes, Mobil 1 is compatible with all Dexron-type ATF. Top up as much/long as you want, if you're not having any other power steering problems.
solid.... thanks a lot!

#6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
What type of "dramatic improvement" will be be noticing? My steering is pretty mellow as it is. Any less feedback and it would be like a Chevy.

2007 Voodoo Blue set up for exploration with the normal stuff and for wheeling 8/73 FJ40, flipped F/R springs, SOA, 60 series front axle, grooved 35 BFG muds, fully locked, 60 series power steering, full cage, 60 series ignition and hydro assist.

www.centralvalleycrawlers.net
#7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Forum Superstar

I personally used Amsoil ATF in the power steering system. I would also consider the Redline power steering fluid

AMSOIL - Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Power Steering and Misc. - Power Steering Fluid

Flushed it after the first year, was a bit surprised at all the crap that came out. THe drained fluid had a metallic sheen to it

I flushed it again a couple of years ago and the drained fluid did NOT have a metallic sheen to it. Was absolutely clean

Biggest improvement is cold weather operation, the synthetic really helps there. At the upper temp limit, the pump won't groan like some here have reported

Note: if you actually do offroad, do yourself a favor and also put in a power steering cooler. There are threads here on how to do that

If you live in a moderate climate, never offroad, never have temps <-20 F, it is still a good idea to flush the system. You can use any conventional ATF then.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 5AT "C" package, Sun Fusion
2012 Chevy Impala LS, beige, 3.6 direct injected V6
#8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I flushed out the factory ATF power steering fluid with AMSOIL (formerly known as AMZOIL) Synthetic PSF (not ATF). Then flushed that out and filled with Synlube PSF. i did this within the first 500 miles of my new FJ. Once it gets discolored i will flush and fill it again.

I recommend keeping up on your power steering maintenance as Toyota isn't known for the best power steering systems. For a real life example, my other half's Lexus 300 had its power steering go at 68,000 miles. And yes, it was properly maintained.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 05:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

^^^I've read that using PSF is a no no. BTW, Dexron VI is backwards compatible. Dexron VI backward compatibility | ATF, Differential, Trans, Brakes, P/S | Bob Is The Oil Guy

#10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

So far, so good with the PSF I'm using. They specify it as universal for power steering systems that use either ATF or regular PSF.

I had a Subaru that specified ATF for the power steering and used the Synlube universal PSF for 60,000. Unfortunately, this car was totalled in an accident that wasn't my fault. So, based on that I think I'll be ok with it in the FJ.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.