2012 oil and filter question - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.
Sponsored by:

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 2012 oil and filter question

Has anyone found a way to change oil and filter without removing the skid plate on the 2012 4x4 FJ? I was able to do it on our 1996 v6 4x4 Tacoma and am currently doing it on our 2004 v8 4x4 Tundra. Taking the skid plate off makes the job a lot harder. Has anyone tried cutting an access hole in the plate? Would that and a drain valve work? How do you handle this job?
Thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular

Re: 2012 oil and filter question

Quote:
Jensent previously said: View Post
Has anyone found a way to change oil and filter without removing the skid plate on the 2012 4x4 FJ? I was able to do it on our 1996 v6 4x4 Tacoma and am currently doing it on our 2004 v8 4x4 Tundra. Taking the skid plate off makes the job a lot harder. Has anyone tried cutting an access hole in the plate? Would that and a drain valve work? How do you handle this job?
Thanks
Tom
There's no way to change the filter without dropping the front skid on 2010+ FJ's. It's not really a big deal - just 4 bolts and it's off.

The drain plug already has a small access panel so you don't have to drop the entire skid to drain (another 2 bolts).

All in all, the skids add maybe an extra 5 minutes to each oil change. You will spend much more time trying to find an acceptable solution to this "problem" than you would ever save over the life of your FJ. Just my .02
#3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

^^ What he said...

Iceberg 2011 FJC

Build Thread:
The White Sherpa

Amsoil for all Fluids
CactusMotorsLLC

#4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 03:11 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
rumbleph1sh previously said: View Post
There's no way to change the filter without dropping the front skid on 2010+ FJ's. It's not really a big deal - just 4 bolts and it's off.

The drain plug already has a small access panel so you don't have to drop the entire skid to drain (another 2 bolts).

All in all, the skids add maybe an extra 5 minutes to each oil change. You will spend much more time trying to find an acceptable solution to this "problem" than you would ever save over the life of your FJ. Just my .02
That's great until the first time you put a little bend in the skid and it fights you every inch of the way to get it back on.

I got a 55 gallon drum of give-a-****, but it echos when I tap on it.

If you grab a chicken by the leg you get the wing --Mexicoon
#5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 10:17 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
fingas74 previously said: View Post
That's great until the first time you put a little bend in the skid and it fights you every inch of the way to get it back on.
I stay on the pavement so can I assume that I won't bend it? Can the front skid be removed without raising the FJ. Can the oil and filter be changed without raising the FJ? Local dealers don't have one to look at. Oil, filter, tire rotation,and drive shaft lub are about all the maintenance the FJ would seem to need? Would like to keep it DIY and avoid the dealer.
Thanks
Tom
#6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
I stay on the pavement so can I assume that I won't bend it? Can the front skid be removed without raising the FJ. Can the oil and filter be changed without raising the FJ? Local dealers don't have one to look at. Oil, filter, tire rotation,and drive shaft lub are about all the maintenance the FJ would seem to need? Would like to keep it DIY and avoid the dealer.
Thanks
Tom
You likely won't bend it then. You can get the skid plate off on a stock vehicle without raising it but it is a little tight.

I got a 55 gallon drum of give-a-****, but it echos when I tap on it.

If you grab a chicken by the leg you get the wing --Mexicoon
#7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 PM

Supporting Member

Quote:
Thanks
Tom
If you stay on pavement, why do you need a skid plate...or an FJ?

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see
#8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJ-Hutch previously said: View Post
If you stay on pavement, why do you need a skid plate...or an FJ?
My wife likes them and they have a vin. number that starts with "J".
Thanks
Tom
#9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 AM

////There's no way to change the filter without dropping the front skid on 2010+ FJ's. It's not really a big deal - just 4 bolts and it's off. ////

Glad I found this, I was looking yesterday on my red TTSE for the same thing and discovered the new location seems much harder than the previous high up location. Wonder why the change?
Steve.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to shadyvito

Thank God I have an 07! My stock skid plate took two pry bars, a hammer, and an hour to get back on. Yesterday I had to drill out two bolts that I broke taking off my All Pro skid plate to change my front dif oil. That's dented up pretty good so it took a little to get it lined up again. They way I wheel, changing the oil would really be a pain in the ass so I don't know what Toyota was thinking putting it down there.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.