Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Brake calipers likely seized piston(s)?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Db2boy 
#1 ·
I had my brakes checked today and both fronts have very uneven wear on the pads (I forget if inner or outer). Is this likely an indication of stuck piston(s)?

Assuming the answer is yes and I'm not up for messing around when I replace all the brakes shortly, who supplies high quality OEM re-manufactured calipers in the US (I'm from the UK and not worked these things out yet) ? Should I expect calipers to come with new HW kit too or do I need to order those separately?

Is something like the following 'decent' or should I be considering something else, I'm a prime member so the shipping being free is a bonus! :-

http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-FRC...9526&sr=1-5&keywords=fj+cruiser+brake+caliper

Thanks for the guidance, Ant

#4 ·
I replaced one calliper (driver side front) hat had a seized piston, late last summer ... the only way I knew was the pad was wearing unevenly ... I went with OEM ... I think I may have another going which doesn't really surprise me given the crap they put on the roads up here ...
:boohoo:

#5 ·
I would re-build but I don't have the tools/workshop I had in the UK established yet in the US and don't want to get stuck half way through only to realise I need another tool/supply/something. This time I'll go with re-manufactured calipers to save the agro :)

Leaning towards the ones in the link for the free shipping and no core return. I can then take my time to rebuild current ones and have a spare set on hand.

#6 ·
Look at Auto Zone and O'rielleys for rebuilt ones. I got the fronts from Auto Zone because they had them in stock and the rears from O'rielleys because they had them in stock. I replaced mine because I had one front and one rear bad and the other two where so rusted I figured they would not last to much longer. They come with new hardware and if you get the loaded sets they have new pads with them. I just went with the unloaded sets.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input. Going to go with EBC rotors and pads whilst I'm in there too and so far Amazon (with Prime) seems the cheapest so I'll likely order rotors, pads, calipers from there and keep current calipers to re-build at a later date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.