Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

another oil change filter question

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  scott99 
#1 ·
I'll start by saying I did some searches prior to posting and did find some info but not enough to not post:laugh

2008 and I always perform my own oil and filter changes. The very first time I changed the filter I was set up to catch the filter oil by removing the rubber plug on the filter housing. When I unscrewed the filter, nothing... no big deal as the oil had drained before I removed it. (normal as I've read and seen).
since then I never worried about removing the rubber plug from the filter housing to catch the oil

yesterday some 8 or so oil changed later expecting the same with regards to an empty filter, oil flows out when I unscrew the filter. not a lot but enough to fill the plugged filter housing without spilling over onto the engine. kind of surprised me..

cold weather is not a problem for me so many time the FJ has sat for hours before I've changed the oil and filter. this time it had sat overnight so I was really expecting an empty filter.

from the post I've searched on this topic I see some that experience empty filters and some that do not. it seems to be the amount of time the FJ has sat that determines the amount of oil in the filter. since mine was overnight I'm a bit puzzled and looking for a bit of feedback on if I should be concerned.

I'm thinking of letting it sit for a bit and pulling the filter to see what happens.

See less See more
#3 ·
Did you change the brand of oil filter? Some do not have the anti drain back like the Toyota band does? Since we have the upside down mounting feature with is great for the maintenance I highly recommend the Toyota brand so that you do not starve the engine of oil on start up. If it has sat awhile & you get no oil it suggest to me that you do not have the anti drain back feature on your filter. Cheers

Reactions: Easy Rider
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.