Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

A/C Question????

27K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  WebSnyper 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

My A/C button & light started blinking and my A/C started blowing warm a couple of days ago. I noticed that when I shut the truck off for the night it would sort of reset and blow cold on the next start up for a little while but then would start blinking and blowing warm again. The truck only has 41K miles on it. I tried to recharge my A/C "L" line but the gauge should there was plenty of coolant in the system.

Have an appointment with the dealer this weekend but the dealer always bends me over a log when I use them for anything....so any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated...

Regards,

JRB

#6 ·
Re: Air Conditioner Not Blowing Cold Air
I just replaced the magnetic clutch relay on my 2014 FJ Monday. Look at the inside of the fuse box cover for the fuse diagram and replace the relay labeled MG CLT. I bought a lifetime relay for $17.11. My symptoms were no cold air and the A/C light would flash on the black round button. Have cold air and the amber light in the black A/C button stopped flashing. Part number was R6034 from Advanced aka Carquest.

#7 ·
Replaced the Mag Clutch relay with the advance relay suggested but didn't work, same blinking light and warm air issue. The system shows plenty of coolent.....

Looks like I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, time to wear my zipper on the backside of my pants because they always screw me.....

#8 ·
***** UPDATE*****

Well as usual, I just could not leave this issue alone without trying to fix it myself. As previously mentioned the relay from advance (R6034) did not remedy the problem. I decided to stop at a different dealer after work and purchase the OEM relay to install.

The correct Toyota OEM part number for the mag clutch relay is 90987-02028. It was $68 just for the relay but I decided to chance it versus taking the truck to the service mechanic where the bill for his diagnosis, part and labor would have approached $300.00. The OEM relay worked like a charm, no more blinking A/C light and nice cold air coming through the vents now.

Regards

JRB

#12 ·
I'm a newbie FJ steward, and a non-mechanically inclined girl... My a/c is doing the same thing, (blinking and no cold air) and I was thinking of ordering the relay switch being talked about. Could someone direct me to where exactly the relay switch goes, and if you think a non-mechanically inclined girl could actually fix this? I LOVE this forum--I already learned how to get my back seat headrests removed once they've been installed in the wrong location and locked in place! Thanks in advance!

#17 ·
G'Day,
Welcome aboard...

Yes you can do it....

First ... turn the engine off.
Second pop the hood open.
Behind the battery is the engine fuse box, unclip the fuse box cover and inside you will see lots of relays and other doo dads....
inside the lid of the fuse box is a diagram of each fuse and what it is.... compare and locate the a/c relay fuse, pull it out and insert the new one in the same place and with the pins of the relay orientated the same way.
here is a picture to help you figure it out.

If you get stuck ..just holla ..we will help you ....

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

ps. it should be the one circled in the pix.

Attachments

#13 ·
So I guess I'm hijacking this thread a bit, but I have air problems too. Lights work fine. I thought I noticed diminished cooling for a week or so and now there is just no cool air at all. That's the only problem. Indicator lights work, blower works. I suspect low coolant, but I've never dealt with that before on any vehicle. It looks as simple as buying a can of whatever that stuff is that isn't freon anymore, hooking it up to the right place and filling until the pressure is where you want it. As simple as airing up a tire??

Are there any things I need to look out for or am a likely to ruin the system somehow? If it's that simple, do I just need to know where the filler-upper valve is? I haven't even looked yet.

TIA,

TT

#14 ·
Sounds a little similar to my issue a while back. My problem was the slider on the track that actuates the recirculate flap had popped out, therefore the recirculate button wasn't actually doing anything. There was no audible change in the AC blow when I pushed the recirc button and all it was doing was pulling outside air, therefore not cooling as well as it should.

Read the end of this thread for the solution:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/misc-technical-discussion/557673-help-fix-my-c-please.html

#18 ·
Thank you, bazross, for your confidence in me and the amazing instructions! I previously called my auto mechanic advisor and they told me it would be $160 to diagnose the problem, however they said it was still under manufacturer's warranty! I decided to take it in this time, as it was FREE! I can't thank you enough for your help though. Gives me confidence to try repairs on my own in the future! It was the mag relay clutch. (P.S. This is ridiculous and embarrassing, but how do I tag a person to thank them or respond to them?!)

#19 ·
G'Day,
No probs, always glad to help...
you can do lots to your J yourself...trust yourself.... you will be amazed how much you can do...
We will all chip in and help and guide you.
don't be afraid to try...and ask lots of questions !!!!!

to tag some one simply @upb4sunup ....
by adding the @ symbol infront of their user name...

Cheers
Baz

ps. good result ..using your warranty....

#21 ·
@bazross so, you probably dont know. We picked up a 2nd FJ. 2007 with 250,000 miles (thats over 400000 KM to you)
We have the Blinking AC light. I swapped her Relay that was in your Picture with the one in my 2014 FJ. Still blinking.
Isnt there a 2nd relay someone to check out? Or is the Compressor dead? Never hear/see the clutch engage.

THanks

#22 ·
G'Day Mate,
congrats on a second J, lucky you !!!
To my knowledge there is only 1 relay, but have you checked the fuse as well ?
Might be blown....
Usually when the clutch relay is working it will click ..on/off ... just wont stay engaged.... that's the relay fail....
so maybe you are not getting power to it....or worst case its dead.....
Good luck,
Cheers
Baz

#29 ·
mine had a slow leak they couldn't find even using the dye

Then I had them trace along each tube along their whole length and they finally found it, under the corrugated covering, along the RH suspension tower.

Whew, that one tube replaced, and a new drier (and another recharge) and now its as good as new.

I've no earthly idea why they put that corrugated covering on the aluminum tube, but it wore through via vibration over the years.

Don't know if my experience will help but my suggestion is to have them check that tube first.

N

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.