The best oils for FJ? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Maintenance Tech This forum is for discussion of all aspects of maintenance that should be performed on the FJ Cruiser to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to majorMarvin
(Thread Starter)
The best oils for FJ?

I am currently running redline 5w30 in the engine with a bottle of lucas synthetic oil additive. I had the oil left over from my 05 Tacoma. I used redline oils throughout the tacoma. I'm wondering what the best oils are for the fj's drivetrain? I have the 4x4 with manual trans and the rear locker. I was talking with a mechanic and he said to add friction modifier for lsd's to my locker... I'm not sure about that one....

2008 Brick Metallic, 6 MT, Off road Package 2, BFG 28575 16 KM/2's, Exhaust Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: The best oils for FJ?

Royal Purple and Mobil 1 are some of my favs.

-Mark

08' Black Diamond FJ

View my build
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post1145216
#3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Forum Regular

I religiously use royal purple in all my cars... I am very tough on motors... The oil holds up pretty good
#4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
majorMarvin previously said: View Post
I am currently running redline 5w30 in the engine with a bottle of lucas synthetic oil additive. I had the oil left over from my 05 Tacoma. I used redline oils throughout the tacoma. I'm wondering what the best oils are for the fj's drivetrain? I have the 4x4 with manual trans and the rear locker. I was talking with a mechanic and he said to add friction modifier for lsd's to my locker... I'm not sure about that one....
You already have experience with Redline synthetic oils, and you are not sure what to use ???

There is no oil available whose specs exceed that of Redline oils for your FJC, including the new ATF D6 to replace the Toyota WS auto trans fluid....

" I'm not aware of too many things, but I know what I know, if you know what I mean..."

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... that way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes..."

W6LPB / WPOK492

TLCA #9632

#5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Formerly FJ_Marine

Garage

Besides those already mentioned, Amsoil when you can find it.

Dave
1984 FJ60

[O]=TOYOTA=[O]

^^^ CLICK TO SEE MY 1984 FJ60 PROJECT ^^^
#6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
I am currently running redline 5w30 in the engine with a bottle of lucas synthetic oil additive.
Why the additive? I have a 1984 Ford work truck at my hobby farm. It has run its entire life on Esso XD-3 and Mobil Delvac 1, and the gas motor still pumps up 125 lbs with 528,000 km on it

Quote:
I was talking with a mechanic and he said to add friction modifier for lsd's to my locker... I'm not sure about that one
The locker used in the FJ is a purely mechanical design: an electric motor moves a shift fork, which moves a splined collar into or out of the case to lock the two halves together. There are no clutch plates. Please see attached pdf. There is no need for LSD additve, and nothing to be gained.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 02400810.pdf (200.9 KB, 75 views)

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 5AT "C" package, Sun Fusion
2012 Chevy Impala LS, beige, 3.6 direct injected V6
#7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Which is best for me?

2008 FJ with 1000 miles. I drive to the mall a lot.

Which of these Mobil 1 products is best for me?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 fully synthetic motor oil is designed for today's longer service intervals. It provides guaranteed performance and protection for 15,000 miles or one year. Mobil 1 Extended Performance products with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain extra performance additives to help deliver outstanding engine protection.

Mobil 1 5W-30
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1 5W-30 with SuperSyn Technology, is the approved and the first choice of many premium car manufacturers, including Corvette.

Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy
For improved fuel economy, consider using Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy which is engineered to deliver outstanding engine protection and to offer improved fuel economy in vehicles where SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil is recommended.

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1® Truck & SUV 5W-30 is engineered for gasoline engines in hard-working trucks, vans, SUVs and recreational vehicles.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Re: Which is best for me?

Quote:
LeoOshkosh previously said: View Post
2008 FJ with 1000 miles. I drive to the mall a lot.

Which of these Mobil 1 products is best for me?
From your name I'm guessing you live in Oshkosh, WI? I've been to the EAA airshow a few times, nice event.

You will experience "real" winter conditions, though not as severe as mine. It also sounds like you're doing a lot of short trips. I'd have to recommend the 0W-30.

For short trip use you want an oil with rapid pumping characteristics, and the 0W-30 provides that. In winter, it will also provide many benefits to cold starting, and perhaps *minor* fuel economy improvement, though I doubt you will notice

I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in summer, and Mobil 1 0W-30 in winter. I have better used oil analysis results running the 0W-40 in summer, perhaps the drive out to my hobby farm is a bit rougher on the motor.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 5AT "C" package, Sun Fusion
2012 Chevy Impala LS, beige, 3.6 direct injected V6

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Maintenance Tech

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.